No announcement yet.

A Wonderful Feeling To Be Back Aboard SQ After Eight Months Being Grounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be one of my sad moments in my birthday.
    Your birthday is on 25/4? Just curious as that day is my B'day.

Comment

Another Trip on SQ11 LAX-NRT-SIN March 2009

For the sake of house keeping, I decided to write short pictorial report here in this thread for my flights in catching the SQ255 inaugural flight of A330 to Brisbane. By doing this, this trip report will have two SQ11 reports for two different months.
      Enjoy...

Comment

YVR - SFO - LAX

In order to straight connect to SQ11 from LAX, my option for me was taking the nonstop on AC leaving around 715am or taking UA on CRJ or UA via SFO at 6am. Because of the daylight savings time, SQ11 departs from LAX at 1410 instead of 1310... Thus, UA via SFO would be feasible without worrying about minimum connecting time.
        Of course, at the end UA via SFO was the lowest price compare to the nonstop on UA CRJ or AC.
        I arrived at the airport about 425am. The check-in was quick, but the US immigration has not opened yet. The line of pax was snaking along the wall all the way to the area where the entrance for the Fairmont Hotel is.
        Once the immigration opens, every thing moves quickly. But again the security line now got hit by the bottle neck.
        I reached the gate 76 around 530am when the boarding for UGS, F and UA 1K has commenced. I boarded immediately and settled into my seat 2C. Pax in 1CD and 3CD were heading to Beijing via SFO to start their journey on cruise ship. A couple in 3AB seems busy with themselves. 2AB was occupied. The captain came out from the cockpit and gave the welcome speech personally to us in F cabin. We might arrive early due to nice clear weather.
        Before the door closed, two pax from the back were moved to seat 1AB. Yeah, they were waitlisted for upgrade, and the pax who were booked in 1AB did not make the flight.

I know many of you dislike UA. But for me, it's as usual, i.e. a pleasant flight. The FAs who coincidently all were African Americans were friendly and courteous. The purser decided to play the movie (about a footballer - something "express") instead of those news and infomercial.
        Breakfast was served. The choices were fruit plate or omelette. Yes, I picked omelette since it a hot meal. Need something warm to wake me up.

After the meals, soon enough we started to decend towards SFO. And we did not get hold up in the air. We arrived too early, and we had to wait for 10 minutes unil the plane at our assigned gate pulled out. A one hour 10 minutes connecting at SFO now became almost 2 hours connection time. Good for me because I needed to make more phone calls for the next flight arrangements plus other errands that I need to do.

I went to UA Red Carpet Club. So surprise to see it was not busy that morning. No problem entering there by showing my SQ *G card.

I went to the gate about 45 minutes before schedule flight. Yes, I wanted to make sure I had space in the overhead bins for my carry on. It was a completely full flight to LAX. Departing from Gate 70.

Comment

The flight to LAX was really full. But the boarding process was painless. I mean at the end we were leaving the gate on time, and only two rollabags needed to be put in the cargo hold. But after one of the owner of the bag explained to the purser that he needed to be at the meeting right away after arriving (thus having to retrieve a bag from baggage carousel would mean lost of time), his bag was able to be stored in one of the front storage. This pax was thanking the purser for what she had done. (Of course, the gate agent had told the the purser that this pax indeed a last minute paid pax... )

I fell asleep right away... and I woke up just before landed at LAX. Another very early arrival.

Comment

Arrived at Gate 73. I walked to the Terminal 6, and got out from there to the departure curb area. Nice sunny day. And good stroll towards TBIT.

Walking along the curbs is fun. Yes, many traveller who check-in curb side just don't think about people might walk along the curb. Many many times I had to say "excuse me.. coming through..." But I think the sun brought smile to everyone... did not find anyone being rude or upset... A different experience this time...

Comment

I was at the B check-in area of TBIT just before 11am. SQ has not opened yet the line for F pax check-in. Just Y and C. But anyhow, since no one was check-in at the C counter, I was able to check-in very quick this time. The agent was even able to help me in putting me in the waitlist for an earlier flight out from SIN to BKK which was sold out.

The security was a swift this time. I was in the lounge and headed for the shower room before 1130am.
              Funnily, I got the same shower room like last time. But this time they had fixed the shower head. (Do they read SQT or too many complaints? )
              Something annoying happened though. Someone kept trying to open the door to my shower room. I counted it's almost ten times ...

After shower, I went to the lounge. More people than last time. NH pax left. Then OZ pax. I was wondering about others.. since they were not in F on SQ. I forgot to ask whether Solitaire will get access to F for this *A Lounge.

Comment

I went to the gate earlier. Boarding had not commenced yet. Gate 102 this time. It is 9V-SPO parked at the gate. LH 744 was next door at Gate 103.

LAX TBIT is under renovation. Some gates have new carpets. And here is one that reminds me of Changi...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                  Nice sunny day.
                  Yeah, you really lucked out. The weather has been OUTSTANDING the past few days!

LAX TBIT is under renovation.
                  And has been for a LONG time. We're all wondering if it will EVER be done!

BTW, how are you ALWAYS getting SQ11 & SQ12 all the way to SIN on redemptions? SQ must really love you!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    BTW, how are you ALWAYS getting SQ11 & SQ12 all the way to SIN on redemptions? SQ must really love you!
                    Patience and determination ...

At LAX, only one door was used. It's door 2L. I was second to board the plane after a gentleman who went upstairs to upper deck section. The IFS and a blue girl were at door 2L. The IFS showed me to my seat. He introduced himself as well as the LSS and LS on duty for the flight. Nice touch! And I made a comment to the LSS regarding VIPs who were seated already at 4A and 3A and had boarded the plane even before the elderly. My comment was an ice breaker. She pointed out to me that the two gentlemen were staff/crew. And I said to her I have known about them (from the conversation with ground staff) and I was being silly joking around with her.

Soon enough, I had a glass of Dom as well as the PJs and kits.
                    And here are the view from seat 4F towards gate 103.

And here is the preboarding cashew nuts - unwarmed of course.

Look at the bubbles carefully. Similar to one of the menu cover, right?

Comment

Something annoying happened though. Someone kept trying to open the door to my shower room. I counted it's almost ten times ...
                      Sounds like you're a popular guy SQ LPP

Comment

Working...
                      X