TSA lock, is it safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSA lock, is it safe?

On my last trip to Bali, I found my TSA padlock went missing. I am very sure it was there when I checked in my bag in Singapore. Did not really check it when I was at DPS airport, only realized it when I about to open my bag.

Seems you can open it with the key with the same number

Any comment?
    Last edited by lingua101; 21 March 2012, 11:57 AM.
    visit my blog

Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
    Any comment?

Seems you can open it with the key with the same number

Any comment?
    Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that the point of the TSA lock, so that TSA staff can unlock bags if need be?
    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

I use TSA locks, and I've had my luggage opened by them at least 3 times in the last 2 years. They lock it back up after searching (not sure what they see on the x-ray machine that elicited them to do a physical check - maybe the tin of curry chicken ) and they put a notice in it to say it has been searched.

Am not sure if anyone can duplicate a TSA master key. Presumably it won't be difficult. Frankly, these padlocks are only useful to discourage someone from an easy opportunity, but a determined person will have no issue breaking into the lock. In fact, I've seen Samsonite service staff crack the code on those 3-number locks; just need a good eye.

Comment

I only use TSA locks when my itinerary involves the USA. Otherwise, I'll use the regular locks. If I do use TSA locks when traveling in Asia, etc, then I frequently use cable ties also. That lets me know when they've opened it or not.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        I use TSA locks, and I've had my luggage opened by them at least 3 times in the last 2 years. They lock it back up after searching (not sure what they see on the x-ray machine that elicited them to do a physical check - maybe the tin of curry chicken ) and they put a notice in it to say it has been searched.

I think sometimes it is not what they see on xray but what the records indicate about you as a traveler. I mean if you get the dreaded "SSSS," then they will probably search through your bag even if the xray seems okay.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post

Am not sure if anyone can duplicate a TSA master key. Presumably it won't be difficult. Frankly, these padlocks are only useful to discourage someone from an easy opportunity, but a determined person will have no issue breaking into the lock. In fact, I've seen Samsonite service staff crack the code on those 3-number locks; just need a good eye.
          You do not need to duplicate it. Just use the key with the same number.

Like I said I lost my lock from my luggage. I then bought the same model which happen to have the same number on the key. I can use both keys to open the lock.....

So I guess the TSA lock is not secure and should be avoided
          visit my blog

Comment

Any luggage with a zip is not secure whether you lock it or not. Personally I don't bother locking my luggage any more. I never put anything of value in there and if sonmeone wants to steal my clothes or toothbrush great I'll get some new stuff on insurance.

Comment

I lock my luggage (with a TSA lock) not because I'm worried about theft from my bags (not at all) but because I'm concerned about somebody putting something inside.

Comment

Working...
              X