No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In hong Kong - be careful - only use reputable shops. The glitzy ones with the neon lights aren't all that honest.

Here's a sample of some conversations I had.

Me: Do you have tokina?
    Them: Yes, but you can't use it on your canon. It's for tokina cameras
    Me: but see that one, it says canon mount?
    Them: Yes, but only on the professional 1D.
    Me: Ah ok thanks... see ya...

Me: Do you have the Sigma 17-70 2.8 to 4.0?
    Them: Yes, but you can't use it on your canon. It's for Sigma cameras. What you really want is this 55-250mm ultra zoom by canon.
    Me: Oh wow. So canon lens for canon cameras then huh?
    Them: Yep
    Me: Ah ok, then how about this EF-S 15-85 for canon? How much is that?
    Them: Oh this is only for the new 650D.
    Me: Wow, 650D, can i see one?
    Them: Erm, sure, tomorrow?
    Me: So which lens will this 15-85 work on?
    Them: Oh the 1Ds MK 3
    Me: Okay, tell you what, if you can get THIS lens to mount and work on the 1Ds3, I'll buy them BOTH right now.
    Them: Erm - we don't have stock of a 1Ds Mk 3.
    Me: But you DO have stock of the 650D right?
    Them: Yeah, tomorrow.
    Me: Right............ well, I'll be back tomorrow then, don't forget! Get me a canon 650D, and I'll swing right by and pick it up.

Girls - get a guy to go along with you. I don't know a whole lot about cameras, but i know enough to know when a scam is on the way.

And to your question Phaleesy - did not have enough time to wander far out to the reputable shops. But from what i gather, the dodgy ones that quoted me - (only 1 or 2 had stock though) it's VERY close to that amount
    on that site. But cash ya?

Comment

• Some helpful tips on "bait and switch" and other scams in HK camera shops here:

http://www.batgung.com/hong-kong-con...s-and-rip-offs

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post

Girls - get a guy to go along with you. I don't know a whole lot about cameras, but i know enough to know when a scam is on the way.

And to your question Phaleesy - did not have enough time to wander far out to the reputable shops. But from what i gather, the dodgy ones that quoted me - (only 1 or 2 had stock though) it's VERY close to that amount
        on that site. But cash ya?
        I hate it when people in these shops (strangely, Asian countries only! Wonder why?!) assume girls have zero knowledge on equipment and we are gullible!

Now you understand why I thought it would save me a lot more hassle and stress if I bought my stuff in the States?!

Those guys at Lemon in Tokyo did not seem to take me seriously when I made enquiries about some lenses. We were like holding a three way conversation, with me asking the questions, and the shop guy providing the details to my male companion. I was thinking, 'Huh? I'm the one who is buying and paying for the equipment... what are they on about!' It was only after several minutes that he realised that I was the boss!

SQfg, please help me find out the prices and stock from the reputable ones if you go to those tomorrow. How much price differential would there be for paying on a cc versus cash? Think of those lovely BD miles!

Comment

• Didn't know whether to put this in the compact camera thread or the DSLR thread.

Anyone got one of these?
          http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sonynex5/

Smaller than any Micro 4/3rds Camera yet with an APS-C size sensor.......

I'm tempted but the Sony E mount doesn't look well supported from the number of lenses so far.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            I'm tempted but the Sony E mount doesn't look well supported from the number of lenses so far.
            And therein lies the problem...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
              And therein lies the problem...
              Curious to hear why you think it's 'the problem' for a camera not aimed at being a second camera for a DSLR user but at being an upgrade for someone who's only been a P&S user. The lenses currently available seem to cover the focal lengths that would be of immediate interest to the latter user, no?

From the review, it seems to me a bigger problem is that the interface doesn't really encourage the user to take control of (and become educated over) the various exposure parameters.

I think it's a solid step towards the ideal of a large sensor in a small body.
              Last edited by jjpb3; 20 May 2010, 03:10 PM.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

• 'Duck shots' with the Canon 5D mk II

‘Duck shots’ taken within the first hour of my acquaintance with my new companion in Feb 2010. ‘Duck shots’ are not one’s best shots. They’re trial shots while one familiarizes with the placement of the companion’s knobs and various quirks.

We went for a stroll with my friend, the delectable Ms Payne, and came upon our model - Mr Psychopathic Pelican.

We thought he was rather cute initially. We were indeed very honored that he chose our company despite receiving all the attention from everyone at the pier. Ms Payne’s theory was that we looked like his trainers/keepers. My theory was that we were the most attractive fresh bait that morning.

Preening and posing for us. He loved modelling for me.

When he looked down his long beak at me from his lofty position, he looked like a serious and intelligent schoolmaster. I always have a soft spot for stern and strict intelligent professors.

He chose to land directly in front of me, exactly as if inviting me to come closer, and I took him up on his offer.

Then the unexpected occurred. He started guffawing loudly, flapped his wings and flew off, with accompanying evil cackles.

We thought we had a lucky escape. The last I heard of him was that he was in the news for pecking the backside of a male Aussie weatherman!
                http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-live-TV.html

On viewing his pictures later in the evening, we agreed that while on first look he was cute and adorable, with closer inspection he was getting old and balding. His beady eyes were cute if paired with an innocent baby smile, but not with a senile leer. And finally his double chin and belly must be the result of too easily obtained (eg not self-caught) fresh fish.

Thoughts on my new companion:
                - Like his predecessor, he seems to like being underexposed by 1/3. Since I was shooting at zero compensation, some of the pictures were overexposed in certain areas.
                - The LCD screen is a vast improvement from the Mk I but we still can’t see much under the glare of the afternoon sun.
                - Knobs are still fiddly. Takes a few steps to change the settings.
                - Didn’t get to try the high ISO. Should have taken a sharp picture with minimal noise when that psycho pelican flapped away. But because it was unexpected, I did not get a chance to change the settings.
                - I really should attach a flash to him. Pelican’s beady eyes were in the shadows in most of the pictures.

Comment

• Predatory lady birds

My good friends… the predatory lady birds… taken in April 2010, after I’ve had more time fiddling around with the knobs.

Maggie - principal dancer with the Opera national de Vulture.

Performing some pointe work.

Long eyelashes endowing her gorgeous blue mascara-ed eyes. Screaming like a banshee during her temper tantrums. But men seem to enjoy receiving a lashing from her sharp silvery tongue!

Bailey - professor of Economics at the Owlford University. Cute pretty little one, always chattering away.

Swift and alert.

Fate of the witless rooster chick who thought he could play hide and seek with the sharp Bailey.
                  Last edited by phaleesy; 24 June 2010, 08:39 AM.

Comment

• Just seen the thread update...

Interesting shots, phaleesy.

I like owls, so the well focused shots in action are most appealing to me. Nice work overall. Looks like you had fun out there with your models, anyway!

Comment

• Originally posted by N_Architect View Post
                      I like owls, so the well focused shots in action are most appealing to me. Nice work overall. Looks like you had fun out there with your models, anyway!
                      I always prefer working with animals. It's a lot easier communicating to animals as compared to humans.

I still think the Nikon has a far superior tracking system than the Canon. Most of the nice action shots were captured by the Nikon group. But the nice portraits were captured by the Canons. Don't know how the 7D would have fared compared to the Nikons though, since none of us in that group had one that day.

Comment

• definitely not a DSLR, but did pick up a vintage white and brushed metal lomography 35mm 170 degree fisheye camera with built in flash while shopping with Nickbot yesterday in west hollywood. love the look of it as well as the pictures it is able to capture. there was also a pretty sweet underwater housing for it for $60 that i will probably go back and get. would also like to get a 120mm lubitel twin-lens reflex and spool 35mm film through it to get some cool effects. love my canon 5d mark ii, but i get nostalgic seeing actual film developed. and this store was amazing...nickbot and i felt like kids at willy wonka's chocolate factory... I'VE GOT THE GOLDEN TICKET!

Comment

• nickbot is in the west coast right now? how did I miss that?

i think you made a very nice purchase, taipeiflyer, congrats...

Comment

• I'll add my very best congratulations taipeiflyer, and hope my recommendation works out to be a good one

We just had to stop when I spotted the Lomography shop, recently opened and only two in the US - quite an experience indeed. Photos to follow, once taipeiflyer's WiFi kicks up a notch

The biggest shock to me was how much the Lubitel TLR's were selling for - I bought mine years ago brand new for £16 and now they are a cult item they sell for $350!

Looking forward to seeing some of the fisheye shots!

Comment

• Results from some papping action in LA

Approaching the location, received a tip-off that SQTalk VVIP was making a purchase

Got him!

Comment

• I *really* shouldn't be spending money I don't have right now, but have caved into the (admittedly self imposed) pressure and ordered a 45-200 mm lens for my GF-1 (90-400 mm 35 mm equivalent) - it should arrive tomorrow

Some polarised opinions out there on this lens, but most of these seem to be debunked on the value for money stakes, and indeed it's basically the only lens in the current line-up (without opting for other manufacturer's lenses via an adapter and losing A/F) that's feasibly within my budget. Will be interesting to gain the extra focal length in comparison to my 20 mm pancake, but at the expense of course of more limited aperture (f4 - f5.6). Hope to be able to share some results in the not too distant future!

Comment

Working...
                                X