The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
    Are they all likely to be refitted with all the same config or will we have 2 in the end?
    Suites and J take up the whole upper deck already, and I don't see them putting any J seats on the lower deck for sure. So the only other possible config is if they were to put some Y on the upper deck again, but that would make the J cabin really small.

As such it would seem likely that SQ may stick to just one config for the A380s in the future.

Unless they have some A380s with no Suites at all??

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
      Unless they have some A380s with no Suites at all??
      Emirates has done it and flies A380 without First. SQ was thinking about it but I doubt that they would do it. Better to have a consistent fleet and they can swap and change aircrafts with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
        At one point there was 4 A380 configs when they did the PEY upgrades so I wouldn't be shocked if they did them in random order.

Are they all likely to be refitted with all the same config or will we have 2 in the end?
        While I do not know for sure what their decision on all the A380s will be, my guess is just like the way they're retrofitting 77W and 77WN to have the same config with PEY, they could do the same with A380s, especially if they want to avoid delays because of equipment they need to wait for. Having 1 configuration especially if retrofitted will make people's lives easier.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
          While I do not know for sure what their decision on all the A380s will be, my guess is just like the way they're retrofitting 77W and 77WN to have the same config with PEY, they could do the same with A380s, especially if they want to avoid delays because of equipment they need to wait for. Having 1 configuration especially if retrofitted will make people's lives easier.
          I do not think the 77W was meant to have more than 1 config. With the introduction of 2013 products, it was clear that SQ wanted to leave everything (galleys, toilets, etc) intact, and only change the seats. And that's how we had the 77WN.

However PEY was suddenly introduced in 2015, and this spawned the 77WR config, which has now caused the 77W fleet to be so diverse. Hopefully by next year it will be homogeneous again, and we aren't left with a SVF-equivalent of the 77W fleet.

As for the A380, I guess we shall see. I think as with the original 19, the decision to create a subfleet with a larger J cabin might have only been introduced later. Somehow, I wonder whether all the current A380s that aren't returned to lessors (14?) will get to be refitted. Considering the scale of refurbishment, it's gonna take a long time to get through all of them, by which time SQ may decide they wanna let them go instead. Again hopefully we don't see a SRJ/SRL-equivalent of the A380 fleet.

Comment

Do you think SQ will reveal the latest Regional Business Class on 2nd of November as well? It seems the new B787-10 is coming to the fleet early next year.

Comment

Did they even have an official unveiling of the current gen regional J? That must have been some time in 2009?

Comment

SQ's new regional business seats are from STELIA. (STELIA press release here.)

No indication of what the seats will look like, as STELIA has quite a wide range of J seats on offer. Also, the press release says it is a brand new design for SQ (Not sure if that means a ground-up new design, or just very heavy customisation).

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                  I'd be completely amazed if the whole A380 fleet is refitted by that time. They will take longer than the 77Ws because of the complexity or working with two decks and switching classes between them. It's also not yet obvious which order SQ will decide to refit in. Starting with SKF and working through to SKT might seem like a sure thing but other factors will come into play- maintenance schedules lining up with a refit is ideal so if a random A380 is due for a major overhaul, it could get selected at that time; also, if both current variants are to be refitted to have the same layout, they could decide that they have two all upper-J layouts too many and refit them first to address J vs Y demand on an existing route.

LHR- often gets new products early, but with 2 daily A380 flights, hard to pick which one, or maybe even both. Again the J vs Y mix may affect the decision too.

ZRH- probably won't get the new product too early on as it seems to be a route that can actually fill the whole upper deck of J of the SKL-T series.

CDG- this is a bit of a gamble. They're replacing the A380 this year during Oct/Nov with 77Ws. So what if they did the same thing next year while pushing through a bunch of refits? Your redemption could suddenly become two F seats on a 77W.

I offer no guarantees, but I'd go with either LHR or ZRH. You're bound to end up still on an A380 that way. I'd avoid CDG if it were me.
                  Thanks for your thoughts SQ228. I'm looking at a J booking in June next year and my best option is SQ26 to FRA. Any thoughts (from you or anyone else)re the likelihood of a new or refurbished A380 on that route by then?

Comment

Originally posted by MRW View Post
                    Thanks for your thoughts SQ228. I'm looking at a J booking in June next year and my best option is SQ26 to FRA. Any thoughts (from you or anyone else)re the likelihood of a new or refurbished A380 on that route by then?
                    SQ26/25 was one of the last routes to get A380 and that was because the no stops to EWR were terminated.
                    I doubt you'll get a new A380 on that route.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      SQ26/25 was one of the last routes to get A380 and that was because the no stops to EWR were terminated.
                      I doubt you'll get a new A380 on that route.
                      I agree. They also need a set of 3 in order to put the same product on all flights, so it's very likely they will refit a few A380s and put them on other routes and wait until they heave enough refitted to switch FRA/JFK planes over within a short space of time or at the same time.

These flights also get the all-upper J with absolute consistency, so unless they've refitted the whole SKL-T set by June 2018 (nobody sane would bet this could happen!), I'd reckon it's a safe call that it will be the existing product.

Comment

Adding on, I have a feeling that when NYC nonstops are resumed that SQ26/25 will downgauge to 77WR so we might never see the new A380s at all on SQ26/25.

Comment

But then where will the frames used for SQ26/25 go? After all SQ is supposed to be maintaining its fleet of 19.

Comment

Adding on, I have a feeling that when NYC nonstops are resumed that SQ26/25 will downgauge to 77WR so we might never see the new A380s at all on SQ26/25.
                            That was my guess as well. It can be just like the way LAX is done though the difference is LAX has two routes via ICN and NRT and the NYC routes will have one nonstop route and a route via FRA. The downguage can occur depending on load/yields. I have a few friends who flew SQ25/26 from JFK-FRA and back (after flying from SFO-NYC) for a few days and Y and PEY were lightly loaded and this was in March. They had a few pics.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens next year when the 359ULR comes online

Comment

That’s OK because the 2013 J seat is still great unless the new J seats are light years away. Among the non-suite type of J cabins, SQ 77WR is a highly competitive one albeit no supplementary mattress to cushion the hard bed.

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                                But then where will the frames used for SQ26/25 go? After all SQ is supposed to be maintaining its fleet of 19.
                                I think LHR will go 4x A380, probably NRT 638/637.

Comment

Working...
                                X