Ear/Headphones - What do you use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
    JayBird BlueBuds X Bluetooth Headphones for gym and my regular commute. Best bluetooth sound ever, and I love how the X-fit lifts it off your neck.
    I've had these just over 6 months and concur. Good value for the money. Only thing I hate is replacing the Comply Tips so often because I use them so much.
    HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
      JayBird BlueBuds X Bluetooth Headphones for gym and my regular commute. Best bluetooth sound ever, and I love how the X-fit lifts it off your neck.
      Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      I've had these just over 6 months and concur. Good value for the money. Only thing I hate is replacing the Comply Tips so often because I use them so much.
      I no longer recommend or support JayBird. Since their acquisition by Logitech, the service has gone into the toilet and they are no longer honoring the lifetime warranty -- which is also no longer offered.
      HUGE AL

Comment

While we are on this topic, for frequent travellers who want an immediate jump in sound quality...check out the Audioquest Dragonfly Red USB DAC...works with MacBooks, PCs and also iPhones (You need to buy an adapter) and Android phones.

Has really improved my enjoyment of music on the go.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
          While we are on this topic, for frequent travellers who want an immediate jump in sound quality...check out the Audioquest Dragonfly Red USB DAC...works with MacBooks, PCs and also iPhones (You need to buy an adapter) and Android phones.

Has really improved my enjoyment of music on the go.
          The topic is headphones…not DACs.

But you've brought up a fantastic product! Blows away all the other amps out there -- including the Shure that retails for USD$1000.

Another way to go that is interesting is:

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/board...y-dac-pro-xlr/

The HiFiBerry uses Burr-Brown instead of ESS, but both are top notch.
          HUGE AL

Comment

The topic is headphones…not DACs.

But you've brought up a fantastic product! Blows away all the other amps out there -- including the Shure that retails for USD$1000.

Another way to go that is interesting is:

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/board...y-dac-pro-xlr/

The HiFiBerry uses Burr-Brown instead of ESS, but both are top notch.
            Well, the Audioquest Dragnfly Red USB DAC does connect to the headphones ....

Haven't heard of the HiFiBerry...very intriguing! Especially the XLR. This looks more like a hobbyist product for the Raspberry Pi computer, rather than a general consumer hifi/audiophile accessory that the Audioquest is. I actuallly do have a Raspberry Pi lying around.

For those not familiar with the Raspberry Pi, it is an incredibly low cost/compact/extensible computer, less than S$100, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, that is widely used as an educational/hobbyist tool, and a surprising number of commercial and "Internet of Things" applications too...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              Haven't heard of the HiFiBerry...very intriguing! Especially the XLR. This looks more like a hobbyist product for the Raspberry Pi computer, rather than a general consumer hifi/audiophile accessory that the Audioquest is. I actuallly do have a Raspberry Pi lying around.

For those not familiar with the Raspberry Pi, it is an incredibly low cost/compact/extensible computer, less than S$100, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, that is widely used as an educational/hobbyist tool, and a surprising number of commercial and "Internet of Things" applications too...
              Oh, come on! Burr-Brown is DEFINITELY audiophile quality and has been for longer than the DragonFly has been around.

There are tons of guides to assist with Raspberry Pi.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Oh, come on! Burr-Brown is DEFINITELY audiophile quality and has been for longer than the DragonFly has been around.

There are tons of guides to assist with Raspberry Pi.
                Agree Burr Brown is audiophile quality...yes both ESS and Burr Brown are highly regarded for their audiophile chips!

I'm referring more to the fact that the hifiberry is an audiophile circuit board where some assembly is required, whereas the Dragonfly is a consumer product that you just plug into your PC/Mac or your phone (with an adapter) and you are good to go...

Comment

Shure Now Embraces Bluetooth

Woohoo! No more searching for the ever-changing "best bluetooth" headphones. If you're on the Shure train, you already own them!

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...ate-of-the-art

And for DAC Amps, we now have another audiophile company jumping onboard:

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/lifestyle/MHA50

HUGE AL

Comment

Woohoo! No more searching for the ever-changing "best bluetooth" headphones. If you're on the Shure train, you already own them!

http://www.shure.com/americas/produc...ate-of-the-art
                    After getting used to AirPods, I now find anything else with a cable dangling down from my ears very irritating. The sound quality is good enough for me, but if only the AirPods had better noise isolation and/or noise cancellation...

And for DAC Amps, we now have another audiophile company jumping onboard:

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/lifestyle/MHA50
                    Is it me or is that amp very ugly...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      After getting used to AirPods, I now find anything else with a cable dangling down from my ears very irritating. The sound quality is good enough for me, but if only the AirPods had better noise isolation and/or noise cancellation...
                      If there was a pseudo-Comply way to isolate, I'd be willing to give them a try. Once you have those form fitting tips, you'll never go back.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                      Is it me or is that amp very ugly...
                      It's McIntosh! Never known for their sexy good looks.

Yeah, a few hours later, I found out they STILL have not gotten their Apple Certification. So the best option MAY be this Chinese POS:

http://www.fiio.net/en/story/623

Although, it's quite a good POS. Pair it with the leather case and you're good to go.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

JVC headphones whose muffs are noise cancelling. Apple headphones are good too but expensive. The mic is annoying since my iPhone takes it to Siri plays a song I wasn't expecting at all.

One of these days I will invest in Beats headphones.

Comment

I have been thinking of replacing my Sennheiser Noiseguard headphones that I have had for 3-4 years that I used some SQ vouchers on - the noise cancelling has never been that great anyway and they are getting a bit ropey.

A bit of a trawl on the internet and seems the choice is Sony, Bose or Sennheiser so Friday to Harvey Norman in Millenia Walk, tried all 3, Bluetoothed to the phone and played the same song on all 3 sets to compare: Rush, "The Spirit of Radio".

Sound quality on all was pretty similar, but the noise cancelling on the Sonys is just amazing. Sennheiser was decent, however, you have to twist one of the cans to switch them on, then try and listen to the instructions in the other which would annoy me pretty quickly.

It being Black Friday, HN was giving 12% off so it's the Sony WH1000x M3 for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
                            I have been thinking of replacing my Sennheiser Noiseguard headphones that I have had for 3-4 years that I used some SQ vouchers on - the noise cancelling has never been that great anyway and they are getting a bit ropey.

A bit of a trawl on the internet and seems the choice is Sony, Bose or Sennheiser so Friday to Harvey Norman in Millenia Walk, tried all 3, Bluetoothed to the phone and played the same song on all 3 sets to compare: Rush, "The Spirit of Radio".

Sound quality on all was pretty similar, but the noise cancelling on the Sonys is just amazing. Sennheiser was decent, however, you have to twist one of the cans to switch them on, then try and listen to the instructions in the other which would annoy me pretty quickly.

It being Black Friday, HN was giving 12% off so it's the Sony WH1000x M3 for me.
                            The good news is .....you picked the right one. I own all of them and yes, the Sony WH1000X M3 is the best.

(Audio)

Comment

I've always been a big fan of headphones made by Marshall. They look awesome, have great sound, and are pretty affordable. Only thing is that they crush the ears a bit after an hour. So need to take them on and off to avoid sore ears

Comment

I have been using Apple Airpods recently.

Sound quality is very good. Although not audiophile quality, I find them very musical and listenable -- they exceeded expectations on that front.

They stay in place very well when I go running too. I am a happy customer.

Comment

Working...
                                X