Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another RTW in F (almost?) but Westward this time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another RTW in F (almost?) but Westward this time.

Alright, I am starting this new thread to report of my westward RTW which is bringing me new adventures, though not all on SQ.
    Today, I'll just wet your appetite because I have to start back a few days ago, December 20th (even though my flight date said I would leave on the 21st)... The reason I am starting now, Dec 28th, while on SQ325, is that our own CGK did surprise me with a celebratory cake on this flight. I hope the crew is enjoying it as I type and that you will salivate when I post the pictures of it later!!! As for me, I will enjoy the rest of the fabulous flight, enjoying more Krug! And all that before I go to bed....

Since you're connexion equipped - kindly be informed that yours/CGK's buggy ride upon touching down in SIN today has been arranged,

courtesy of SQFG travels and tours - Arrive in better shape

Comment

Hi DeltaFlyingProf, looking forward to check out your RTW trip.
      By the way CGK is your boyfriend is it ? Just wondering, hope you don't mind .

Comment

Originally posted by Jetsetter View Post
        By the way CGK is your boyfriend is it ? Just wondering, hope you don't mind .
        The palace will not comment on the princess' private life! Neither will I!

Comment

The meat of the matter.

Let me start the story of this RTW by the beginning.
          I had planned a trip that would start by taking me to Belgium to go see my parents. It all would start with a UA flight to ORD on UA F in an internationally configured 777 on Dec 21st, followed by LH F on an A346 to FRA and finally LH J to BRU. This was already a change from my original booking which was DEN-FRA-BRU in J on LH on Dec 19th. However CGK had convinced me to give LH F and the First Class Terminal in Frankfurt a try.
          I was really looking forward to this new trip which would include my 10th airline this year on which I would experience international F service.
          Everything was set and the departure day was getting close.

Some bit of news:
          Dec 19th at night, it has started snowing in Colorado. Large moisture heavy clouds are rolling into the area from the Gulf of Mexico. Strong winds are accompanying the system...
          In other words, a blizzard is coming

Dec 20th. It is continuously snowing , and the snow showers are getting more and more intense. I decide to go to Boulder from my house to pick up a few things in my office for tomorrow's flight and go to the store to buy a few more things.
          Driving to Boulder, it is obvious that the traffic going the other way is VERY heavy and moving at about 2 mph on average....
          I do go run all the errands I had to and call one of my former students' who is in California to look on mapquest what the number of the street parallel to the main road is, because I suspected it would not have as much traffic on it.
          Wise decision. The snowstorm had intensified and the wind increased to a blizzard level. Though I had white out conditions a few times on the way and I saw many cars slipping at intersection, my faithful ride had no trouble handling the road conditions (thank God for the little 'x' in my car model! )

Flight you said?
          By the time I made it home, the news had come that in the morning, UA had canceled almost all flights in and out of DEN and at noon, the airport had ceased all flight operations.
          It was pretty clear my flight to ORD would be replaced by another lower level one!

Well, I had to call UA to get myself re-booked for a later flight. Simple, right? Wrong. UA would not change my booking. It was an award using BD miles and they would not touch it. I was not a happy camper. I believe, given the circumstances, my ticket should have been dealt with just like any paid ticket... Well UA flunked that test. They told me to call BD. But by this time, the award service of BD was closed. They operate on UK time, 7h ahead of Colorado. CGK called the UA 1k line, and they did say they could get me out by the 24th. They were only looking for award availability! They also said that if I wanted to take LH, I'd better call BD as they could not get ANY availability. Yet on the ANA web site, I could find some.

So the weather made me learn a few lessons. Airlines do not treat awards honestly in such cases and UA does not have the same availability on LH as other *A carriers do....

I stayed up until 1 am and called the BD award desk. I could get UA for DEN-SFO in F and a 1h20 connction to LH455 SFO-FRA in F and finally LH J for FRA-BRU, but only on the 23rd! A two day delay!!!
          Oh well... the weather was projecting that the snow would continue the whole night and day on the 21st... Maybe 2 days was wise... but a 1h connection was not.
          I changed their offer for an earlier UA flight to SFO which was also on an int'l configured 777 but in J only. This flight would afford me a 4h connection time in SFO. Much safer.
          So I went to bed and relaxed to enjoy the beautiful snow filled landscape the next day....

More to come

Comment

Oh, I learned another lesson. It seems rather easy to get TATL awards for last minute flights on *A, provided you are not trying to use UA miles...
            And I forgot to mention that LH does not have F service from DEN during the Winter when they have a A340 doing the flight. In Summer, it is a F equipped 744 which does the route.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Since you're connexion equipped - kindly be informed that yours/CGK's buggy ride upon touching down in SIN today has been arranged,

Thank you... but CGK assured me it was too small for me to sit on the buggy and I would have to walk all the way to the SKL.

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFlyingProf View Post
                Thank you... but CGK assured me it was too small for me to sit on the buggy and I would have to walk all the way to the SKL.
                If you and another person can fit into the new SQ seat, you can fit into the buggy

Comment

Correction: the official reason now is that the buggy reservations says CGK and guest and I am not worthy of being his guest....

Comment

Correction: the official reason now is that the buggy reservations says CGK and guest and I am not worthy of being his guest....
                    Shall I arrange for your name to be added?

Comment

Shall I arrange for your name to be added?
                      Oh please do! Or make it in my name and guest! I am magnanimous and will offer him a ride!

Comment

Oh please do! Or make it in my name and guest! I am magnanimous and will offer him a ride!
                        Oops.. well no one's picking up the phone "at home" so sadly, it'll have to be CGK and guest

Comment

Thank you for the arrangement.
                          Unfortunately, no one showed up. Well, it's kind of funny if it happened. We arrived early at gate E8, and departed from gate E3.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
                            Thank you for the arrangement.
                            Unfortunately, no one showed up. Well, it's kind of funny if it happened. We arrived early at gate E8, and departed from gate E3.
                            SQFG travel and tours is going to cancel their contract with SQ soon! Outrageous!

Comment

SQFG travel and tours is going to cancel their contract with SQ soon! Outrageous!
                              Well, it would be sound so vvpita to complain no buggy ride from gate E8 to E3.

Comment

Working...
                              X