• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longest Used SIA Flight numbers that still fly to the same destination

Was just watching this ad

Day in the Life of a Singapore Girl | Heritage | Singapore Airlines
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AetG0Nlj0Q4

Where there is a scene, showing the flipboard at Paya Lebar airport.

A quick google search told me that SQ 637 still flew to Tokyo up till today. So I was just wondering, what are some old Sq flight numbers with he same destination till today?

Also, JL 711, also on the screen shares the same story.... and route too! NRT-> SIN

SQ001/2 ?

Comment

Originally posted by tinderium View Post
      Was just watching this ad

Day in the Life of a Singapore Girl | Heritage | Singapore Airlines
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AetG0Nlj0Q4

Where there is a scene, showing the flipboard at Paya Lebar airport.

A quick google search told me that SQ 637 still flew to Tokyo up till today. So I was just wondering, what are some old Sq flight numbers with he same destination till today?

Also, JL 711, also on the screen shares the same story.... and route too! NRT-> SIN
      Hmm interesting... SQ637 may still be used today, but I'm pretty (almost 100%) certain it wasn't used "continuously" throughout the years. I recalled that from the late 80's/early 90's until maybe the late 90's/early 2000's SQ's Tokyo flights had the following flight numbers:
      - SQ98/97 (and later SQ998/997) SIN-NRT vv turnaround
      - SQ88/87 (and later SQ988/987) SIN-TPE-NRT vv turnaround

That is in addition to SQ11/12 SIN-NRT-LAX.

So it seemed that SQ changed the flights numbers for Tokyo in the late 90's/early 2000's to SQ637/638...

In terms of longest continuous flights numbers in use, I would say SQ1/2 is certainly a candidate, and maybe SQ221/222 SIN-SYD vv as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
        SQ001/2 ?
        The flight numbers 1/2 have definitely been used for a long time. However, in the 1970s and 1980s they were used for, if I'm not mistaken, SIN-LHR, usually with an intermediate stop at BOM or some other airport. Circa 1989 (again, correct me if I am wrong) was when 1/2 were assigned to SIN-HKG-SFO.

Comment

SQ10x and 11x to and back from KUL have been around for ages. An SQ117 was hijacked in the early 1990s - hijackers were shot dead by Singapore special forces. SQ didn't retire the number - it's my preferred flight back on daytrips to KUL.

Comment

By no means complete, but this timetable from 1976 might be of interest...

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
              The flight numbers 1/2 have definitely been used for a long time. However, in the 1970s and 1980s they were used for, if I'm not mistaken, SIN-LHR, usually with an intermediate stop at BOM or some other airport. Circa 1989 (again, correct me if I am wrong) was when 1/2 were assigned to SIN-HKG-SFO.
              Interesting to know SQ1/2 used to be the SIN-LHR route. But I can confirm that SQ1/2 were used on the SIN-HKG-SFO route once they launched in 1989 and even remain today (source: airliners.net).

Love this type of thread on SQ history. Bring more of them!!

Comment

Hang on, having dug a bit deeper, I've found a treasure trove of old SQ timetables over here: http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/sq.htm

Edit: Alas, most entries only feature the cover and not the inside pages. But there's one that shows the Concorde service to London via Bahrain.
                Last edited by cowie; 13 February 2018, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Sorry for spamming this forum, but look, they even have MSA timetables! http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/ml.htm

Comment

Originally posted by cowie View Post
                    By no means complete, but this timetable from 1976 might be of interest...

This is fascinating! The meal options available are mind boggling:

B(J) - Breakfast Joiners. Did the crew have to identify who the joiners are, and served them BJ, while continuing passengers received a different meal such as R(T) - Refreshment (Transit)??

CLM (cold light meal) and SR (Substantial Refreshment) are certainly not offered on any flight now!

Comment

How about SQ12/11?

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                        How about SQ12/11?
                        I believe it has had these flight numbers since launching the LAX route in 1979/1980 (IIRC). SQ commemorated this launch with "California Here We Come" decals on aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                          I believe it has had these flight numbers since launching the LAX route in 1979/1980 (IIRC). SQ commemorated this launch with "California Here We Come" decals on aircraft.
                          So it would also count as being the longest used flight number used as well, I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                          X