EVA vs Asiana J-class from JFK to SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVA vs Asiana J-class from JFK to SIN

Waitlisted on SQ from JFK to SIN and decided to use this chance to try another star alliance airline instead.

Was offered EVA and Asiana J-class.

EVA 77W
    BR31 JFK-TPE 0125-0515+1
    BR225 TPE-SIN 0740-1200

Asiana A380
    OZ221 JFK-ICN 1350-1700+1
    OZ752 ICN-SIN 1930-0110+1

Any advice on which flight I should go with? I'm ok with both flight times. More concerned about the onboard and lounge offerings. Thank you!

Originally posted by gumption View Post
    Waitlisted on SQ from JFK to SIN and decided to use this chance to try another star alliance airline instead.

Was offered EVA and Asiana J-class.

EVA 77W
    BR31 JFK-TPE 0125-0515+1
    BR225 TPE-SIN 0740-1200

Asiana A380
    OZ221 JFK-ICN 1350-1700+1
    OZ752 ICN-SIN 1930-0110+1

Any advice on which flight I should go with? I'm ok with both flight times. More concerned about the onboard and lounge offerings. Thank you!
    Eva is pretty good and you’d get to try hello kitty too .... tried their reverse herringbone seats and it was very comfy. The food was good too and the lounge in TPE is very good.

My dislike for asiana is Korean food which I dislike but this is a personal taste

I’m more for TPE > JFK Which is a short flight and then a long flight rather than a mid 6 hr flight as I find them quite annoying as stay up 6 hrs is boring but sleeping 3 hours or so is neither here nor there

Have a great trip ahead

Comment

I haven't flown either of them, but I know EVA uses the reverse herringbone seat which is an excellent product.

Comment

I will go with EVA Air, which is much superior than Asiana in almost all categories.

EVA Air will offer a supper because of its late night departures on the JFK to TPE flight, but the wines on JFK routes are better. It might be one of those Krug flights. Remember to take advantage of the online meal order system, as you will have access to more main meal choices.

Carfield

Comment

BR is preferred.
          OZ flies their A333 bet SIN-ICN which doesn't have lie flat seats, only angled flat seats

Comment

Never flown on OZ J, but their Y service was not fantastic, they just wanted to quickly finish up the service. Had a lap child, and they simply served both the adult meal and the lap child meal together, like I have sufficent space for both trays and the lap child to eat together (SQ serves one meal later).

BR is great in J and I love the lounge in TPE. Not sure if their JFK lounge have a shower, if you need one, but their ORD and SFO lounges do not have showers.

Also BR is quite bad when it comes to IRROPs (at least in SIN), have no experience on OZ with IRROPs.

Happened to have a flight that co-incide with a Typhoon and was going SIN - TPE - SFO. There was no pre-notification for the delayed flight and I did not check prior to going to the airport. SIN Counter accepted my checked bag, but told me to check back few hours later. Checked back few hours later and was told to go home and wait for call, no help in getting flights from other carriers at this point (was just told all SQ flights to TPE or SFO are full). Got back home and checked the flights to discover that my plane has not even landed in TPE to make the TPE - SIN flight then my SIN - TPE flight. Tried calling their local office and it was closed (either after 5pm on weekday, or it was a weekend). No one picked up for the airport line. Called the TPE office and they claimed that only the SIN office can make changes to my ticket, they are unable to help (only mentioned that I can get a full refund afterwards). No notification as to when I should go back to the airport. I decided to book my own UA ticket that leaves SIN at 6am the next day. Went back to find the BR counter opened, so I went there to check first, and they were able to put me on the same UA flight that I booked (UA had the free cancellations within 24 hours of booking, so I could cancel for free). So there was 0 communications from BR at all, as to when I should go to the airport with no one available that can help me after being told to go home. If I didnt re-book my own trip know that there is space on that flight to go back to BR for re-booking, I'd probably reach SFO a further 1 or 2 days later (I was already arriving >12 hours later).

Comment

BR for the hard product. You also get pyjamas and Rimowa amenity kits on BR. OZ's service can be slightly better but I think the ICN-SIN sector gets angled flat. Even the long haul product is worse than BR's.

Comment

I took BR from BKK-VIE/AMS-BKK a couple of month ago, each on their B777 and both seat and on-board service were good though in both directions I ended up not eating anything. Ground service was pretty useless at AMS but transit through BKK to SIN was effortless - so effortless my luggage made no effort at all and was left in BKK.

Comment

Thanks guys! I guess the choice is clear. Will go with EVA!

Comment

Working...
                  X