No announcement yet.

The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do folks remember the First Class arrangement on LH744's when they reduced it from 16 F to 8 F (around 2011 IIRC) and put a recline-able F seat and a bed next to it?

Of course, versus new SQ Suites it was not as spacious and enclosed / private and the chair didn't swivel or so, but that was a good product (I enjoyed it) and time wise the concept was ahead of what EY & SQ have put out. Anyways ...
    Last edited by demue; 2 November 2017, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
      I feel a bit puzzled. They have so far updated the Premium Economy Seats on board the A350 and now they have changed back again on the A380?
      They did not change the Premium Economy Seat on board the A350, they just used different seat manufacturers for the A350 vs the A380. Might be some certification issue or OEM availability per aircraft type.

Conceptualisation for the new Premium Economy Class seats started in November 2013, with seat manufacturers ZIM Flugsitz GmbH (for the A380 and 777-300ER) and Zodiac Seats US (for the A350), and award-winning design firm JPA Design.
      Source: http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/us...03Feb2015-1237

Can't tell if they updated the Premium Economy Seat this time, looks the same to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        Aha indeed you did notice it too! But no, I didn't take your picture, I just took a screenshot of the video... like you did
        Fly well,
        Travel safe,
        And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

• J class is interesting... narrower seat, less pitch, and the cubby hole for feet still there. Not sure it's an improvement. The 2013 J seat was perfect, as was the 2013 Y... Any idea why the new Y seat is 0.5 in narrower than the previous one?
          Fly well,
          Travel safe,
          And have a pleasant journey.

Comment

• Sam Chui was at the unveiling today:

https://samchui.com/2017/11/02/singa.../#.WfsILmiCzcc

His video shows how the chair works and gives a perspective of space in the suite.

What I love most about the current suite is to eat, drink and watch the clouds go by, and also have the screen in my line of vision. But the screen and windows in the new suite are now opposite and I must sit back facing the window when I eat.

My favourite 1F is now baby prioritised with the bassinet there.
            Last edited by Trent1000; 2 November 2017, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trent1000 View Post
              Sam Chui was at the unveiling today:

https://samchui.com/2017/11/02/singa.../#.WfsILmiCzcc
              Read conflicting reports about the mechanism of the J seat, but at 10:00 in Sam's video, we can clearly see that the seat no longer requires flipping down.

Comment

• Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                Read conflicting reports about the mechanism of the J seat, but at 10:00 in Sam's video, we can clearly see that the seat no longer requires flipping down.
                I heard from someone that for sure it is slide down completely, and there is no need for flipping, as it is powered all the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                  Any idea why the new Y seat is 0.5 in narrower than the previous one?
                  So they can fit 10 across on the 787?

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ747 View Post
                    J class is interesting... narrower seat, less pitch, and the cubby hole for feet still there. Not sure it's an improvement. The 2013 J seat was perfect, as was the 2013 Y... Any idea why the new Y seat is 0.5 in narrower than the previous one?
                    I could tell by the picture of the new Y class seat it looks slightly narrower than the 2013 Y pitch-wise when I thought my eyes were deceiving me

Comment

• They have to make the seat in Y narrower in order to get passengers who want more comfort to purchase Premium Economy. This is also likely in preparation for the 9 abreast on the 787-10 and 10 abreast on the 777X unless they want to refit the 77W again. Basically SQ needs to cheapen Economy a bit further so that people will buy premium economy.

And once again, Premium economy is as what it suggests, Economy. Not Business Light.

Comment

• Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                        Yes. The side wall is also more enveloping for privacy.

Comment

• Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                          They have to make the seat in Y narrower in order to get passengers who want more comfort to purchase Premium Economy. This is also likely in preparation for the 9 abreast on the 787-10 and 10 abreast on the 777X unless they want to refit the 77W again. Basically SQ needs to cheapen Economy a bit further so that people will buy premium economy.

And once again, Premium economy is as what it suggests, Economy. Not Business Light.
                          Good point. That was my thought on why Y seemed to look narrower. I can definitely tell this is what will be on the 787-10 and the 777X but as far as the 77W, most of them are 10 years old and some have not yet been retrofitted with the 2013 cabin, yet.

I thought the 777X would be considered roomier as to accommodate 10 or maybe 11 abreast.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                            Good point. That was my thought on why Y seemed to look narrower. I can definitely tell this is what will be on the 787-10 and the 777X but as far as the 77W, most of them are 10 years old and some have not yet been retrofitted with the 2013 cabin, yet.

I thought the 777X would be considered roomier as to accommodate 10 or maybe 11 abreast.
                            When are the 777-9's entering service? If it is after 2021 it might be possible that they even make a new product?
                            Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• Originally posted by demue View Post
                              Do folks remember the First Class arrangement on LH744's when they reduced it from 16 F to 8 F (around 2011 IIRC) and put a recline-able F seat and a bed next to it?

Of course, versus new SQ Suites it was not as spacious and enclosed / private and the chair didn't swivel or so, but that was a good product (I enjoyed it) and time wise the concept was ahead of what EY & SQ have put out. Anyways ...
                              Important to note that Lufthansa has always said that this will be a temporary interim solution that is not sustainable due to the space consumed by the solution. So the concept was not ahead because it wasn't designed to stay. It was a marketing gimmick.

Today, there is no more separate seat and bed on any LH aircraft.

Comment

• Just watched Sam Chui's video. Does anyone else think that the Lalique branding/partnership is a little too prominent? On the Suites bedding duvet and emblazoned on the pajamas top pocket taking up as much real estate as it can. Are they paying SQ for advertising/showcasing their brand? Would it not be better for SQ to have their own branding (less prominently) on the pajamas?

Comment

Working...
                                X