No announcement yet.

So, what will get you back on board ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would only travel again, for either business or holiday, if the situation in destination countries was stable and/or back to normai, with low incidence of COVID-19 in the community. I would be comfortable heading to Australia or New Zealand, for example, and also Asian destinations like Vietnam or Korea.

I would think twice if there was a mandatory quarantine on arrival at that destination, or if I had to be quarantined on return to Singapore.

As for flights, I would prefer not to risk close contact with other pax, so I would be quite tempted to use miles to fly in business class, simply because of the additional room and distance between pax. I doubt I would enjoy the reduced cabin service or basic catering during this period, even in premium cabins, but that would not be a priority at this time.

I would not want to be in a packed Y cabin if there was any risk at all of infection. Perhaps airlines should find a way to ensure some sort of social distancing between Y pax. It doesn't necessarily have to be between all pax, for example I am ok if it was my family in a row of 3. But between different groups, at the very least an empty seat in between, along with mandatory masks, would be what I would need to be comfortable flying Y in future.

Apart from business travel which will definitely restart as soon as conditions allow, I think there will also be a lot of pent up demand for holiday travel once restrictions ease. My friends and I were joking that we would probably tear up the next time we were on a plane and were handed hot towels by SQ cabin crew...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      I would only travel again, for either business or holiday, if the situation in destination countries was stable and/or back to normai, with low incidence of COVID-19 in the community. I would be comfortable heading to Australia or New Zealand, for example, and also Asian destinations like Vietnam or Korea.
      Apart from business travel which will definitely restart as soon as conditions allow, I think there will also be a lot of pent up demand for holiday travel once restrictions ease.
      True. I just redeemed 2 trips for the family in December, to New Zealand and Taiwan, countries that seem to have things pretty much under control. Let's see how things pan out 6 months from now.

Incidentally, I had to call the hotline to correct a mess-up on my online booking (incorrectly applied the 50K miles voucher to the wrong segment) and the exceptionally helpful agent fixed everything and offered to request a child meal for my son. I told her that I'd wait till I'm sure we can travel.

Comment

So we have seen the 'Covid Kits' they will be giving out to pax when they start up again. IS that going to sway anyone to travel that wasn't going to previously ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
          So we have seen the 'Covid Kits' they will be giving out to pax when they start up again. IS that going to sway anyone to travel that wasn't going to previously ?.
          Similar to my previous post : I think it the quarantine rules that will influence my travel plans. 14 days out and 14 days back is not really practical. I see Greece has a quarantine process that if you are negative then you are released so only a day or two missed of your trip. I live in the SandPit and we need approval to travel back in. There are 200k residents stuck outside so again this wont help travel here just yet; you may get out but not back in.

Going back to you point about "Covid Kits" - good idea and will make me "feel" safer; we are now used to distancing , wearing masks and gloves and being cautious so this can only help.

It is interesting to read that the 2 new cases in NZ this week (who traveled from the UK) either caught it leaving the UK, at the airport or on board the aircraft.

I would like to be flying again as soon as possible but if its not immediately I can cope with the 50c summer temperatures if it keeps me and importantly others safe and well.

Comment

A vaccine, and hope that the world will return to normal after the vaccine.

India's lockdown is more controlled, meaning they are not allowing international flights at all. My coworker flew in mid March to visit his family in India. He was supposed to return in April, but covid had us all working remotely and returning to our homes in late March, so he's stuck in India as well as my some of my friends' who have colleagues who went for business purposes.

That's my thinking, when a vaccine comes and we are sure that it's going to help in the long term, them people will be confident and more comfortable to do travel (esp. long haul again).

Comment

Having taken my first flights since January last week, while it was good to be travelling again the enforced wearing of masks in airports and on board, unless you are eating and drinking (and then you are supposed to put them back on as soon as you have finished) and all the other stuff at the moment was all a bit of a faff. I get it and understand why its necessary at the moment but it's still a PITA.

My flights were only short : MAN-AMS-HAM/HAM-AMS-MAN and all less than an hour flying time so not too bad, but I am not sure I would fancy 10, 12 or more hours of it. It was also bizarre seeing the departure screens in Schiphol showing all remaining flights for that day and at 4pm on a Thursday in July they didn't even fill two of the eight screens.

It's a long way back for the aviation/airline industry....

Comment

Have done a couple flights in C on LX to Germany recently flying GVA-ZRH-TXL/BER or whatever it is called these days. First flights since February. Similar requirement to wear masks as on your flight to HAM, MAN Flyer. TBH, it was not half bad, with minimal cuts to service. Crew were even more friendly than I could recall from pre-Covid days and were just happy to be flying again. Not sure how I would feel about long haul.
                Last edited by SQ777; 9 August 2020, 10:45 PM.

Comment

For the past decade, I have flown SQ 99% of the time between SYD-FCO. Unfortunately, as they weren't flying to Italy at present, I flew with QR for the first time. I felt like a traitor to SQ, but QR not only status-matched me, but blew me away with their in-flight product and service. So... let's see what happens from here...

Comment

Yes Qatar and Emirates says they have very minimal service cutbacks. And Emirates now even offer covid insurance in its ticket whereby even if a pax gets covid, his hospitaiisation stay or quarantine would be borne by the airline. Perhaps SIA can follow Emirates in this insurance scheme to help it get back some passengers during this difficult times and reduced its cut back in services for its premium classes.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                      Yes Qatar and Emirates says they have very minimal service cutbacks. And Emirates now even offer covid insurance in its ticket whereby even if a pax gets covid, his hospitaiisation stay or quarantine would be borne by the airline. Perhaps SIA can follow Emirates in this insurance scheme to help it get back some passengers during this difficult times and reduced its cut back in services for its premium classes.
                      They are discounting aggressively as well. Return to Europe ranges 3.3-3.5k in J in both QR and EK whereas SQ is offering the usual 7-9k for the routes I have checked. I guess they are dealing with stronger restrictions than QR & EK to resume traffic.

Comment

Read the detailed T&Cs carefully. The Emirates insurance only covers your medical expenses in the country you are visiting. You're on your own for any expenses when you return to Singapore. Obviously, not many people would want (or be allowed to) stay for a prolonged period of time in overseas healthcare especially if you don't require a ventilator. No insurer in Singapore is going to be so charitable to offer such coverage for your return to Singapore given the govt's travel ban still in force.

Comment

But still a good insurance policy to cover at the destination city especially in Europe or the US and others which have very expensive healthcare treatment for covid19.

Comment

But still a good insurance policy to cover at the destination city especially in Europe or the US and others which have very expensive healthcare treatment for covid19.
                            But if it doesn’t cover Singapore and you are paying full price for treatment, it might end up being much more expensive than Europe or us

Comment

Yes but doubt SIN treatment will be more expensive than US or Europe and if you are a S'porean you will still have some subsidies depending on yr ward classes. However in Emirates case, at least it does cover at your destination which is still better than other airlines that do not.

Comment

Yes but doubt SIN treatment will be more expensive than US or Europe and if you are a S'porean you will still have some subsidies depending on yr ward classes. However in Emirates case, at least it does cover at your destination which is still better than other airlines that do not.
                                If you travel abroad against the advisory, you get absolutely no coverage at all

Comment

Working...
                                X