A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
    Would having only eight A380s in the long term even be economically sustainable? I remember another airline (KLM I believe) stated that a ten plane minimum is necessary for it to be financially viable to operate a sub fleet.

Anyways if that's really the case, I suppose we will see the 77Ws sticking around even after the introduction of the 779. Or perhaps even some A350s getting F. The A380 won't be an easy plane to replace.
    What I meant is that SQ will have only 8 of the ver 3 A380s and still be operating the older A380s. Just that in near future SQ will reduce its 380s by 4 planes and be operating with 15 total A380s instead of 19. It will take mre than a year for SQ to return to full flights as in before the virus outbreak and airlines are predicting post covid19 will take a longer time to recover and even that will have less travellers.

Comment

• Video of 9V-SKT arriving into Alice Springs airport.

https://twitter.com/abramm97/status/...947972608?s=19

https://www.flightglobal.com/fleets/...138084.article

Comment

• Anymore SQ/TR aircraft(s) sent to ASP ? I noted today SQ212 9V-SYL is doing ASP-SIN, a flight that is normally done to pick up crews.

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverKrisSRG View Post
          Anymore SQ/TR aircraft(s) sent to ASP ? I noted today SQ212 9V-SYL is doing ASP-SIN, a flight that is normally done to pick up crews.
          2 NokScoot B777s (HS-XBB and HS-XBC) were ferried to ASP this morning. Perhaps it was to pick up those crew members.
          Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
            2 NokScoot B777s (HS-XBB and HS-XBC) were ferried to ASP this morning. Perhaps it was to pick up those crew members.
            Nope nothing to do with the SQ crew who flew the A380s and Scoot planes. These crew were picked up by the returning SQ flight from Sydney which diverted to pick them up.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
              Nope nothing to do with the SQ crew who flew the A380s and Scoot planes. These crew were picked up by the returning SQ flight from Sydney which diverted to pick them up.
              Those crew were picked up by 9V-SWM on the 26th. SilverKrisSRG was asking about 9V-SYL which diverted to ASP on the 30th.
              Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• btw, it sort of occurred to me that we could have gotten our answer to the 4 leased A380s - the 4 at ASP.

Was thinking why SKT and not SKU or SKV (since it looks like the newest ones are the ones sent).

Likely they struck a leasing deal that extends the lease and at the same time cuts the present day leasing cost (by way of agreement to store & preserve the aircraft) - frees up cash commitments for SQ now.

Insider info anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                  btw, it sort of occurred to me that we could have gotten our answer to the 4 leased A380s - the 4 at ASP.

Was thinking why SKT and not SKU or SKV (since it looks like the newest ones are the ones sent).

Likely they struck a leasing deal that extends the lease and at the same time cuts the present day leasing cost (by way of agreement to store & preserve the aircraft) - frees up cash commitments for SQ now.

Insider info anyone?
                  None of the new A380s (SKU-SKZ) are leased.

Comment

• QF is onholding the refit of balance 6 A380. So guess SQ will also do so?

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                      None of the new A380s (SKU-SKZ) are leased.
                      thanks. yeah just read somewhere that as of 31 Mar 2019, the average age of SQ's OWNED A380s was 7.3years. That would have had to mean the newer ones are owned for the average to be that low.
                      doing the maths, more likely a few of the middle ones delivered in 2010-2011.

Comment

• Is there a case for A380 combi for SQ or any other airlines currently operating the aircraft?
                        Imagine the upper deck will be used for premium cabins: Suites /First Class and Business Class in front followed by Premium Economy at the back. The main deck will have 2 economy cabins in front while the back will be used for carrying cargo. Of course if there is cargo door conversion programme then the combi aircraft will probably fit better into commercial flight operation turnaround.

Comment

• Believed with the A380, its the costs of operating a 4 engined A380 is high to operate it profitability.

Comment

• The MTOW for the A380 is quite low for the size of the aircraft. So unless they are transporting pillows it probably won't be worth it. Thats the main reason the A380F was scrapped.

Comment

• Wonder when and if SQ will fly a few more A380s to park at Alice Springs as dont think the A380s will take to the skies till maybe Oct or Nov and even then it will be only a handful that will be used. The majority of the fleet will still be grounded till early 2021.

Comment

• This report on mainlymiles suggests that the A380 will not return for commercial services in 2020 and some more A380 being moved to storage.

https://mainlymiles.com/2020/06/07/g...class-for-now/

Comment

Working...
                                X