Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ/VS expand codeshares

Posted over in a.net :

Singapore Airlines and Virgin Atlantic will expand codeshare agreement after received regulatory approval.

Singapore Airlines will place its code on Virgin's London-Dubai/San Francisco/Los Angeles service, effective 01DEC06.

SQ2500 LHR2030-0720DXB 346 (5 mins. later dep/arr on Day 2)
    SQ2501 DXB0915-1250LHR 346

SQ2520 SFO1645-1055LHR 744
    SQ2519 LHR1100-1405SFO 744

SQ2507 LHR1130-1500LAX 346
    SQ2523 LHR1500-1850LAX 346
    SQ2508 LAX1715-1145LHR 346
    SQ2524 LAX2105-1530LHR 346

The new codeshare allows passenger more options for round-the-world service on SIA and Virgin

Virgin Atlantic will place its code on Singapore Airlines' Singapore-Sydney. It already codeshares on SIA's 3 daily London - Singapore service

I've always tried to do the PPS math in my head but I fall far short, but has anyone figured out a way to get all 25 PPS sectors on one SQ-VS RTW ticket?

Comment

Nice!

Wonder if we'll see LHR-NYC codeshare? Or will that prevent SQ from ever getting to fly LHR-NYC on its on metal

Comment

Are the codeshares on VS allowed on an SQ-only RTW?
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
          Nice!

Wonder if we'll see LHR-NYC codeshare? Or will that prevent SQ from ever getting to fly LHR-NYC on its on metal
          Maybe we'll see a LHR-JFK/EWR codeshare, but AFAIK, that's as far as it can go due to Bermuda II.

• Only a combined four airlines from the US and UK are allowed to operate flights from the United States to Heathrow (BA, VS, AA, UA).
          • Air India and Kuwait Airways are allowed fifth freedom rights from Heathrow to JFK under a grandfather clause, because both carriers have flown that route for decades.
          • American and British regulatory authorities must approve airline's pricing.
          • Each country has the right to refuse to permit operations of a carrier it is not satisfied with (particularly with regard to ownership or control).
          • Restrictive list of U.S. cities U.S. carriers can serve from London Heathrow.
          • Restrictive list of U.S. cities UK carriers can serve from London Heathrow.
          • The above referenced cities are: Baltimore, Boston, Chicago-ORD, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, New York-JFK, Newark-EWR, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington-Dulles.
          • Further, of the cities that apply, only some of these may be served from Heathrow. (i.e not Gatwick)
          • As all routes are currently taken, for a carrier to start a new service to a new U.S. city from London they must drop another route
          It's a whole other reason why SQ doesn't continue to YYZ.
          Last edited by globetrekker84; 20 November 2006, 10:56 AM. Reason: Information obtained from Wikipedia.

Comment

That's probably the most informative summary of Bermuda II I've seen. Good job, globetrekker84.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
              Air India and Kuwait Airways are allowed fifth freedom rights from Heathrow to JFK under a grandfather clause, because both carriers have flown that route for decades.
              American and British regulatory authorities must approve airline's pricing.
              What a ridiculous and antiquated piece of shitty regulation. It's an abomination.

Comment

Thanks globetrekker84

Another question for you.

Since SIN has a open-sky with US and EU; not sure if UK comes under the EU open-sky thingy, can SQ operate it? Am I understating the reality?

CX appears to have been OK to run that route? so SQ can't?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                  Thanks globetrekker84

Another question for you.

Since SIN has a open-sky with US and EU; not sure if UK comes under the EU open-sky thingy, can SQ operate it? Am I understating the reality?

CX appears to have been OK to run that route? so SQ can't?
                  Where is CX supposed to run from? LHR? I read about that somewhere, but I can't seem to recall it.

I don't think SQ can operate further from the UK, despite them wanting to. It's part of the reason why they codeshare to YYZ on AC.

If anything, fifth freedom rights doesn't necessarily mean that airlines can make a profit. From what I hear, SQ's JFK-FRA sector is barely filled and MH's EWR-ARN is always on the brink of being cut for lack of demand.

Dunno if that answered your question though.

Comment

Bermuda II only restricts flights to and from LHR. If SQ - or anybody else - want to fly from MAN, BHX, GLA etc they are welcome to do so. Sadly everyone outside the UK seems as obsessed with LHR as BA is.

There was a very interesting DoT report done a few years ago regarding a possible SIN-MAN-IAD service. This included the pax figures on SQ's UK routes and makes interesting reading. Report is here :

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/589/Region...casestudy4.pdf

CX were given 'permission' to fly LHR-JFK as part of the deal that allowed VS to do HKG-SYD. Why this has not happened so far I really don't know. Maybe some of our resident CX experts can answer this ?.
                    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 20 November 2006, 05:28 PM. Reason: Add link..

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      CX were given 'permission' to fly LHR-JFK as part of the deal that allowed VS to do HKG-SYD. Why this has not happened so far I really don't know. Maybe some of our resident CX experts can answer this ?.
                      I find it hard to accept that oneworld has a stranglehold on the super-lucrative JFK-LHR route. I mean seriously. 13 daily flights (7x on BA and 6x on AA). *A has a big fat zero flights between those two cities. VS operates 2x daily from JFK and 2x daily from EWR.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
                        I find it hard to accept that oneworld has a stranglehold on the super-lucrative JFK-LHR route. I mean seriously. 13 daily flights (7x on BA and 6x on AA). *A has a big fat zero flights between those two cities. VS operates 2x daily from JFK and 2x daily from EWR.
                        UA = Useless Airline

Comment

I'm think UA are now down to just 1 x daily LHR-JFK and are maybe even dropping the route at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            I'm think UA are now down to just 1 x daily LHR-JFK and are maybe even dropping the route at some point.
                            Haven't they already dropped the route altogether?
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              Haven't they already dropped the route altogether?
                              Announced but I can't remember from when - around now I think. There are posts about it (e.g. no *A between LHR and JFK!) in the old SQT forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X