MH vs QR on Y

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH vs QR on Y

I'm planning a family trip to IST and the cheapest option on Y seem to be MH and QR. Not much of a fare difference between the two and both are significantly cheaper than others.

Has anyone experienced the two airlines and ably to compare them? MH's KUL-IST segment is on a 772. QR does SIN-DOH on 787 and DOH-IST on A320.

The only other negative about QR is an almost 5hr stopover in DOH on the outbound journey but given how new DOH is, we'd probably find enough to do.

QR 787 is 3-3-3 so it will be much tighter than 3-3-3 on MH 772. On that basis I would go MH.

Also, I find it more convenient to have a longer flight connecting to a short flight, rather than something which breaks the journey in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
      QR 787 is 3-3-3 so it will be much tighter than 3-3-3 on MH 772. On that basis I would go MH.

Also, I find it more convenient to have a longer flight connecting to a short flight, rather than something which breaks the journey in the middle.
      MH's 772 Y config is 2-5-2

The seats are very comfy with 34" pitch, but the IFE is definitely inferior to QR's 787s. As stargold pointed out, the OP will have two flights which aren't exactly long which can make it more tiring if going via DOH.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
        MH's 772 Y config is 2-5-2
        Oops.

But my point is still the same - 9-across on a 777 is much more comfortable than 9-across on a 787. If it had been another airline, like AF, EK or EY which use 10-across in 777 then it would be similar in terms of cramped-ness.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
          Oops.

But my point is still the same - 9-across on a 777 is much more comfortable than 9-across on a 787. If it had been another airline, like AF, EK or EY which use 10-across in 777 then it would be similar in terms of cramped-ness.
          Any 9-across configuration on a 777 is better than 10-across, but personally I have avoided going for the middle seat in a 2-5-2 configuration in the few times I have flown on an MH 777. It just feels inconvenient to be two seats away from either aisle.

Slightly OT, but NZ is another airline that uses 10-across, but only on their 77W.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
            ...but personally I have avoided going for the middle seat in a 2-5-2 configuration in the few times I have flown on an MH 777. It just feels inconvenient to be two seats away from either aisle.
            It's not that different from being stuck in a window seat of a 3-3-3 config. You still have to climb over 2 people

Comment

If IFE is a consideration then it's a no-brainer. The QR 787 is lightyears ahead of the MH777. There's onboard wifi and cellular services on the 787 too.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards MH now, but the problem is that it doesn't fly IST-KUL on Sundays, so I have to leave a day earlier or later. Now I'm considering paying the few hundreds more to just fly SQ. Can't fathom why TK is so much more expensive than SQ.

Comment

To add to the previous comments, I think MH is still suffering from last year's tragedies in terms of load, so you are likely to have more seats available in the cabin around you, which will make the trip more comfy

Comment

Originally posted by Durian View Post
                    To add to the previous comments, I think MH is still suffering from last year's tragedies in terms of load, so you are likely to have more seats available in the cabin around you, which will make the trip more comfy
                    There are even a few videos that came out after the MH17 disaster which showed very few people in cabins. One of them was on their flagship LHR-KUL route.

Comment

Thanks for the continued input. In the end, looks like we will be taking QR after all. QR is offering very attractive promotional fares on the new 3rd daily frequency to SIN they are starting in June. We were planning to go at the end of May, but now by moving our trip to a week later, we can take advantage of the promotional fare.

The fares, roundtrip for 2 adults and 2 children, are roughly the following:

SQ direct S$5,400
                      MH S$4,400-S$,4800 depending on dates
                      QR S$4,800
                      QR promo $3,700

Part of the savings will have to go towards knee-protectors, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                        There are even a few videos that came out after the MH17 disaster which showed very few people in cabins. One of them was on their flagship LHR-KUL route.
                        You might find the odd one or two empty KUL-LHR vv flights, but it's defintely not the norm. Other than Chinese flights, the loads aren't usually that bad these days.

Comment

One of the three DOH-SIN flights would be operated by the new A350-900XWB effective 16th June.
                          Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

Working...
                          X