Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japan Jaunt to Hakodate and Tokyo (ScootBiz, Vanilla Air, ANA Biz and SQ Biz)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan Jaunt to Hakodate and Tokyo (ScootBiz, Vanilla Air, ANA Biz and SQ Biz)

It is time for a Japan trip again, taking advantage of the long weekend and a couple of days of vacation. This time, I would be going to a less visited part of Japan, Hakodate in the most southern part of Hokkaido, as well as Tokyo again. Flights were a combination of 4 airlines (Scoot, Vanilla Air, ANA and SQ) from budget to business, with my first flights on two of the airlines. Interestingly, SQ is the parent airlines of budget carrier Scoot, while ANA is the parent of the budget arm Vanilla Air.

First 2 sectors was on Scoot to Tokyo Narita via Bangkok. For a bit more comfort, I had chosen to fly in Scootbiz for the sectors. As this was not my first time on Scootbiz, I had totally knew what to expect and prepared all the necessary amenities to make my flight a comfortable one.

Checked in at Terminal 2 less than 1.5hr before departure at the shared Scootbiz/Tigerair premium counter. In less than a month's time, Tigerair Singapore would be subsumed under the Scoot brand and go into the history books.

Plain white boarding pass issued.

Terminal 2 is not too busy in the late evening.

However our flight was being allocated a bus gate.

21 June 2017
    Scoot
    TZ 292
    Singapore (SIN) - Bangkok Don Muang (DMK)
    B787-8
    9V-OFE "The Future is Yellow"
    ScootBiz
    Flight Time: 1H57M

Boarding was called very soon after entering the packed gate and we soon boarded the bus. Premium boarding is of no use here as everyone was packed onto the bus regardless of ScootBiz or Economy. However, this is one of the very rare times (other than propeller Firefly flights) that we got to board via a remote stand, and allowed me some photo opportunities. This would also be my first flight on the smaller B787-8 Dreamliner variant.

Welcomed by the crew and proceeded to my seat at 3A. The smaller B787-8 is only fitted with 21 ScootBiz seats, as compared to 35 seats on the B787-9.

A pre-cup water was offered, followed by the ScootBiz crew going aroud confirming our pre-ordered meals as well as drinks selection with the meal. ScootBiz pax are entitled to a drink selection, alcoholic included, from the drinks selection to go with the meal. Water is also free-of-charge on ScootBiz, but payable in Economy. Surprisingly, we were all addressed by our name on this flight by the crew serving in ScootBiz, which I had not encountered on my previous flights in ScootBiz. A tad of premium touch here! There was also a Japanese speaking crew onboard and all annoncements were in English and Japanese.

Seat pitch is a more than reasonable 38" for this mid-haul. Comparable to premium economy standards.

Basic mechannical seat controls for recline and legrest.

Aircraft parked on the remote stands.

Last edited by ycp81; 28 June 2017, 11:53 PM.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

ScootBiz was half full on this SIN-DMK sector, but fully packed in Economy at the back. Boarding was completed late due to the bussing of passengers, which delayed the flight preparations. The pilot also came on to apologise for the delay due to the allocation of the remote stand.

Inflight magazines and catalogues.

Some interesting Scoot facts!

The selection on ScooTV, the wifi-streaming IFE, was a disappointment though, with most movies being quite dated. Only the Asian selection were a bit newer.

Boarding completed, doors closed and safety demonstration was conducted. Started the short taxi to the runway.

Departed from Rwy20C more than half hour behind schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mox9RnjVpJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSGeR43L4F0

Night lights of the city state.

Service started with distribution of immigration forms, followed by offering of ScooTV access codes to ScootBiz pax. ScooTV and power charging point are complimentary for ScootBiz, but again payable in Economy. Decided to watch a Korean movie using my own mobile device.

Meal was then served. We had pre-ordered the premium selection of Ayam Rendang with rice, which came with a side salad, Haagen Dazs ice-cream and a cup of water. I selected an orange juice for my drink of choice.

My Travel Map

Comment

Foils removed.

A fresh and crispy rocket salad with dressing to start.

Chicken rendang with rice and curry vegetables. This is absolutely delicious! The dish is full of flavour, meat is tender and portion is big too. Easily one of the best inflight meals I had.

You can't go wrong with Haagen Dazs chocolate ice-cream.

Visit to the lavatory at the front of the aircraft, which only has the basic amenities but is kept clean.

View of my seat.

We were cruising at a very high 43,000ft and the pilot managed to make up some time en-route. Spent the rest of the flight using ScooTV till descent into Don Muang.

Landing on Bangkok Don Muang Rwy21R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vunPSDW9bvE

Parked at the gate and the Scoot crew turned on the Dreamliner signature rainbow lights during disembarkation. What a sight! These were not turned on during my previous Scoot flights. Transit pax were also required to disembark with belongings and re-clear security.

A very comfortable first leg on ScootBiz!

My Travel Map

Comment

After disembarkation, ground staff were at the end of the jetbridge calling out for transit passengers to Narita. Our passports were checked, names ticked off a list, given a transit card as well as a transit sticker. Noticed from the list that there were slightly more than 30 pax transiting to Narita.

Then it was a rather long walk to Transfer security where we were screened before allowing bck to the Departure level. The terminal was not too busy at this time of the night, with some shops and eateries also closed for the day.

Sister NokScoot B772

Thai Airasia A320 and our Dreamliner beside.

Re-boarding at the gate 26 has already begun.

But lets grab a decent photo of the Dreamliner before boarding. Wonder why is OFE's nose-cone in white.

22 June 2017
        Scoot
        TZ 292
        Bangkok Don Muang (DMK) - Tokyo Narita (NRT)
        B787-8
        9V-OFE "The Future is Yellow"
        ScootBiz
        Flight Time: 5H42M

Re-boarding the aircraft and welcomed back by the same set of crew.

Again, cups of drinking water were offered in ScootBiz during boarding.

ScootBiz was rather full on this sector. We pushed back slightly late due to the late arrival and taxied to Rwy21L for departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JAE50n_zR4

Bangkok lights.

Most passengers were already settling for the night.

Crew came around and asked us if we would like the meal right away or 2hrs before arrival. We requested for the meals to be served right away as we intend to rest for the rest of the flight. Pre-ordered the Beef brisket with polenta on this sector. Meal came with the same salad as previous meal (catered from SIN) but dessert was replaced with a cake. Ordered a coconut water with the meal.

My Travel Map

Comment

Unwrapped.

Salad and a piece of raspberry cake.

Beef was tender and flavourful, but I am not a fan of polenta. Portion was big too. Definitely satisfying, but not as good as the Chicken Rendang on the previous sector.

My friend has pre-ordered the third Premium meal choice out of SIN, which is the Singapore Chicken Rice. Tasted fairly authentic and delicious as well.

After meals were cleared, cabin lights in ScootBiz were dimmed all the way till we started our descend. Even though a Buy-on-board service was again conducted in Economy about 2hrs prior to landing with full cabin lights on, us in ScootBiz were not disturbed with lights remaining dimmed.

Another shot of the legroom.

Starting our descent. Cups of water were offered by the crew just prior to our descent. This was unexpected and was evident of the great service provided by this set of ScootBiz crew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME58ONjjcEY

Spotted Mt Fuji in the distance.

Approaching Narita from the south to land on the shorter Rwy34R. Arrived slightly behind schedule.

Video of landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFUj7ZkAKeY

My Travel Map

Comment

A rather long taxi to Narita's Terminal 2.

Rainbow lights were turned on again during disembarkation! But the effect is not as cool as in the evening.

Similar to DMK, the aerobridge was only attached to Door 2. My seat for the past 8hrs.

Passing the small Scoot-in-Silence economy cabin during disembarkation.

Last look at our aircraft.

ScootBiz is definitely a very comfortable way to fly at very affordable prices. Luxury business class it may not be, but with the more spacious seat, accompanied with some frills, it really helped to make the mid-haul red-eye flight much more bearable.

Some plane-spoting while on the trek towards arrival immigration.

Immigration was quick and luggage delivery was efficient too.

As we had more than 3hrs of transit before the flight up to Hakodate, we grabbed some breakfast at one of the airport restaurants. I had a very delicious japanese style breakfast.

There is an open-air viewing gallery at the roof-top too! Great place for aviation enthusiasts to hang out.

View towards the apron of Terminal 3, aka LCC terminal, where my next flight would be departing from.

My Travel Map

Comment

As my next flight is departing from Narita's Terminal 3, it was a 10min walk along the designated footpath from Terminal 2 to the LCC terminal. The LCCs must have been doing a roaring business at Narita as T3 seemed much more busier than T2. Looks like expansion of the current makeshift LCC terminal is needed sooner than later.

Vanilla Air's very basic self-check-in machines and baggage drop counters. The international counters are much busier than the domestic ones.

Receipt-styled boarding pass.

FIDS showing the domestic departures. Vanilla Air and Jetstar Japan flights form the bulk of the traffic.

Security was painless for domestic flights and we were shortly at the departure gate.

Territory of Vanilla Air and Jetstar A320s.

Boarding was called right on schedule and we were bussed to the aircraft.

My Travel Map

Comment

22 June 2017
                Vanilla Air
                JW 953
                Tokyo Narita (NRT) - Hakodate (HKD)
                A320
                JA06VA
                Economy Class
                Flight Time: 1H20M

Vanilla Air, a wholely owned subsidiary of ANA, was formed when the AirAsia group pulled out of the joint investment with ANA on AirAsia Japan. This LCC is currently based at Narita, ans operated 12 A320s to a number of domestic and regional internation destinations.

Boarding JW's A320.

Aircraft is fitted in the standard LCC configuration of 180 seats.

Boarding in progress. Flight attendants were professional and polite, but not as well-groomed as compared to the legacy Japanese carriers.

Seatback advertisements.

Seat cushioning was thin, but for some reason, the legroom was very tight as compared to similar A320 configuration.

Korea's Jeju Air just arrived beside.

Inflight magazines and Buy-on-board menu. Prices are rather reasonable.

After passengers boarded and doors closed, safety demo was shown manually. An interesting way to grab the attention of passengers for the demo!

My Travel Map

Comment

Pushed back.

Starting the very long taxi to the other end of the airport for departure from Rwy16R. Passed Terminal 2, Terminal 1 and the cargo terminal. It felt almost like we were taxiing to Hakodate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9HgfYWcoMo

Holding for an Etihad B789 to land.

Finally departed from Rwy16R after almost 20min of taxi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czQRG7FShvk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UwY9o7J0FM

Climb and turning back over Narita.

My Travel Map

Comment

BOB service started, with few takers that I observed.

With fatigue setting in, the rest of the flight was spent catching short winks and viewing the scenery out there.

We soon started the descend.

Some nice scenery during the final approach to touchdown on Rwy30.

Video of the approach and smooth landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkUKXyKfWr0

A very short taxi to the terminal, so short that the crew did not have time to make the arrival announcement in English.

Disembarkation

It was a standard LCC experience on Vanilla Air, just getting you from Point A to B punctually and nothing more. Service is nothing more than the necessary but seat comfort was lacking with the tight legroom. However, still an acceptable experience on short hops.

My Travel Map

Comment

A look at our A320.

JAL B763 also at Hakodate.

Scenes of Hakodate along the walkway to baggage claim.

Bags were out fast. No Vanilla Air logo on the signage yet, even though this daily flight was launched four months back.

From Hakodate Airport, it was only a 20min and 410yen airport limousine bus ride to the Hakodate JR station, which is also the main transport hub in the city center. Our hotel, Four Points by Sheration, is just across the road from the JR station. The hotel was officially opened under the Four Points brand just a month ago after a major facelift.

Rooms were decently sized and comfortable.

View from the room towards the hills.

After a short rest, we walked to a nearby recommended eatery, Uni Murakami, for an early dinner. As the name suggests, the eatery is famous for its Uni (sea urchin) dishes. Everything we had were really fresh and tasty!

My Travel Map

Comment

Took a leisurely stroll to the wharf and Kanemori Red Brick Warehouse after dinner.

Had some wonderfully light Petite Merveille cheesecakes and milk pudding.

It was rise and shine early the next morning to visit the famous Morning Market, which was just across the streets from our hotel.

It was seafood and melons galore at the market!

My Travel Map

Comment

Seafood don for breakfast at one of the many eateries at the market. Due to the many eateries, the prices were very competitive.

Hakodate has a very convenient tram and bus network within the city which connects to all major sights. A day-pass for unlimited rides on the trams and buses can be bought for 1000yen.

Visit to Goryokaku historic site.

Former magistrate's office

Simple lunch at Muji cafe.

Up the slopes of Motomachi. Reminds me of San Francisco.

The Old Public Hall.

The Second Most Delicious Ice Cream Melon Bread in the World. Yep, that is the name of the shop.

My Travel Map

Comment

Motomachi Roman Catholic Church. There is pretty much of European influences around the Motomachi district.

Right across from the church is a Japanese Buddhist temple.

Walked back forn to the red brick warehouses for a light tea of Snaffle's cheesecakes. Just realised that Snaffle's actually originated from Hakodate!

As dusk falls, we took the Mountain Climbing bus up to Mt Hakodate, a must do when in Hakodate. The bus ride is included in the tram/bus day-pass. The view from Mt Hakodate is voted one of the best in the world, especially during the evenings. Thus, this explains the throngs of tourists at the peak during sunset, and this is not even the peak tourist season!

It got rather chilly at the peak at dusk. Hence, when we got down from the mountain, we went to Ajisai to try their recommended Hakodate styled ramen. Different from other japanese ramen, Hakodate-style ramen uses a salty clear soup base, and this ramen eatery produces one of the best examples in Hakodate.

We also had to try Lucky Pierrot, a famous burger chain found exclusively in Hakodate. We tried their top-seller burger and sundae, and both were great!

On the last morning, it was again a trip to the Morning Market for a dose of healthy breakfast before doing some last souvenir shopping and heading to the airport.

My Travel Map

Comment

It was a 20min Airport Limousine Bus ride back to the airport from Hakodate JR station. Reached the airport domestic terminal 1.5hrs prior to departure. The international terminal 5min walk down the road. It is smaller and seperated from the domestic terminal

Check-in hall.

There are no dedicated check-in counters for ANA's premium pax at Hakodate, unlike the other major airports. Luckily the check-in and baggage drop queue moved fast. There are also no dedicated ANA lounges here. Hence maybe that explains the lower Premium Class fares from Hakodate, which is only 5000yen more than economy, inclusive of 40kg luggage, 125% miles and the full Premium Class experience onboard.

Boarding pass

There is a huge shopping area above the check-in hall before security, offering all the usual Hakodate and Hokkaido snacks and souvenirs.

As with almost all Japanese airports, there is an open-air viewing gallery. Hakodate is definitely not a very busy airport.

Our B772 touching down slightly late from Haneda and taxiing in.

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                              X