What do you guys do for a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys do for a living?

So I am set to graduate with a Master's degree in Business Analytics next year and want to keep up my current travels (8-10 trips a year). Looking for a job that offers me exactly that, so if you guys/gals could tell me what you do for a living, I'd appreciate that

Perhaps you should read the following first ?

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11997

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingDan View Post
      So I am set to graduate with a Master's degree in Business Analytics next year and want to keep up my current travels (8-10 trips a year). Looking for a job that offers me exactly that, so if you guys/gals could tell me what you do for a living, I'd appreciate that
      Reading this in a hotel club lounge - alone - I'd swap with you right now. But could you compete with my 30 years international business experience? No.

I was just like you when I left uni. And I wish you luck in finding a job which has potential for international business travel, but in my experience you'll need to wait at least five years and more likely ten before they let you loose.

When they do you will love it, I guarantee that. How long will the novelty last? Can't say. What I do know is that it won't.

There, the free drinks in the Club have stopped, so I will too.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
        Reading this in a hotel club lounge - alone - I'd swap with you right now. But could you compete with my 30 years international business experience? No.

When they do you will love it, I guarantee that. How long will the novelty last? Can't say. What I do know is that it won't.
        Summed up nicely.

Comment

I just realized I might have asked this here before.. it was either here or FT but I believe it was here, actually. Either way, thank you for commenting everyone

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Summed up nicely.
            I was a bit jaundiced that day - had just finished a HKG-SIN-JNB-CPT-DUR-JNB-SIN trip in 4 days, but I think the principle is correct. I'll admit though, that I still enjoy the feeling of "turning left" as I board a long-haul flight - usually with SQ for me.

Comment

Travelling vacuum cleaner sales man. Look up "Dyson"

Comment

I was a bit jaundiced that day - had just finished a HKG-SIN-JNB-CPT-DUR-JNB-SIN trip in 4 days, but I think the principle is correct. I'll admit though, that I still enjoy the feeling of "turning left" as I board a long-haul flight - usually with SQ for me.
                Know the feeling well.

I've just finished a MAN-FRA-BKK-SYD-NAN-SUV-NAN-AKL-CHC-IVC-CHC-AKL-BNE-SYD-BKK-MUC-MAN in 10 days and the first time I did a similar trip years ago I loved it. This time.....

I was also reminding myself how much I like flying on puddle jumpers as I was sat on a 19 seat Beech 1900 on my way to WRE. We were lined up waiting for SQ285 to land when we set off and after the initial thought of 'I hope we don't line up here or we'll get squished by that big 777, which won't enjoy the experience either', we spun around and went back to the gate as the fleet had been grounded. So a thirty minute flight turned into a two and a half hour each way short notice drive. The joys.....

Comment

Know the feeling well.

I've just finished a MAN-FRA-BKK-SYD-NAN-SUV-NAN-AKL-CHC-IVC-CHC-AKL-BNE-SYD-BKK-MUC-MAN in 10 days and the first time I did a similar trip years ago I loved it. This time.....

I was also reminding myself how much I like flying on puddle jumpers as I was sat on a 19 seat Beech 1900 on my way to WRE. We were lined up waiting for SQ285 to land when we set off and after the initial thought of 'I hope we don't line up here or we'll get squished by that big 777, which won't enjoy the experience either', we spun around and went back to the gate as the fleet had been grounded. So a thirty minute flight turned into a two and a half hour each way short notice drive. The joys.....
                  All those exotic destinations and then - Invercargill in the middle! What possessed you? There are compensations though - I'm posting this beside the pool at the IC Hua Hin. Back on the bus later today, unfortunately.

Comment

All those exotic destinations and then - Invercargill in the middle! What possessed you? There are compensations though - I'm posting this beside the pool at the IC Hua Hin. Back on the bus later today, unfortunately.
                    I wasn't actually going to Invercargill, but the even more exotic Bluff!. It won't surpirse you to know that it wasn't a holiday trip.

There is nothing exotic about Suva either, and while I suppose the hotels in Denauru could be called somewhat exotic, going to dinner as Billy no mates in resorts full of couples and families is not my favourite pastime either.

Comment

I wasn't actually going to Invercargill, but the even more exotic Bluff!..
                      Ah the glamour of international business travel. That's what the OP's desperate for I find it's always a toss-up between Bluff and Monte Carlo. Both seaside towns, but there's a je ne sais quoi about Bluff that gives it the edge, I feel. Probably the proximity to the aluminium smelter that does it.....

Comment

Ah the glamour of international business travel. That's what the OP's desperate for

I find it's always a toss-up between Bluff and Monte Carlo. Both seaside towns, but there's a je ne sais quoi about Bluff that gives it the edge, I feel. Probably the proximity to the aluminium smelter that does it.....
                        Can't stand Monte Carlo myself!

Comment

No where near as experienced as some of the guys here and I'm probably around the same age as you, FlyingDan, but as someone here once said, be careful what you wish for!

I used to think getting to/having to travel for work would be such a joy when I was in uni not long ago but I realised it usually isn't. It's usually hectic, packed trips where you have a lot on your plate to deliver when you're on short hops around.

Well I guess it also depends on your job but few would probably give you the luxury of time when you travel to relax and travel around for leisure- which I suppose is what you want?

I am in the Advertising industry. For only a year now. We are an Asian subsidiary of a larger company so we handle the regional markets with our headquarters in Singapore. I had to travel around for work a fair bit. Usually in an overnight trip. Think flying into Jakarta in the morning, straight to a long meeting, having lots of work after, another meeting the next day and flying off immediately after. Fortunately I managed to tone down the travel I need to do considerably. Happy to be based here!

Comment

Working...
                          X