No announcement yet.

SQ318/319 New Business & Economy Class to London and LHR T2 SilverKris Lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw this plane pass below us as we approached Changi…

A short holding pattern before a landing to the South on runway 20R…

Wonder which 777 that is with the SQ logo painted over on the tail…also one of Scoots previous 777’s -- now unused since Scoot is now an all 787 fleet.

A smooth touch down on a busy evening, and a short walk to the arrivals area, where the bags were at the belt before I was…

Comment

Overall, this was another wonderful flight on SQ, with a top notch hard and soft product.

The economy class seat is one of the most comfortable that I have flown -- perfect for long haul. And a spacious 9-abreast layout on a 777 is not something to be taken for granted these days.

Add to that a very wide range of IFE, impressive catering and SQ's unique approach to cabin service, and you have what remains a market leading economy class product.

It is hard to imagine a more comfortable way to travel between Singapore and London in Economy Class.

How does this compare with 2006 Y on the A380 and 77W? 2006 Y is pretty good and is still a very strong market offering, but the 2013 Y tops even that, with greater seat comfort, more perceived seat incline and a sharper, brighter IFE screen.

I was quite impressed with SQ's new lounge in Heathrow. As an outstation lounge, it will never have the scale and wow factor of a home base lounge such as the CX or QF lounges in HKG and SYD respectively, but the new SQ decor theme is a step in the right direction, and the full service bar is a welcome addition to the available facilities. I am sure many of us are waiting to see what SQ can do to turn their lounge facilities in Singapore into the flagship / statement lounges that they have the potential to be.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Very nice TR yflyer... glad you finally got to try the new J product.

Did SQ305 in Y (naturally) last month. A very empty flight. Every Y passenger scored 3 seats (with several empty rows still remaining). My first time trying the new Y and agree that it was very comfortable... not sure if I would feel the same if it was a full flight.

Not planning to do a TR here as you've very much covered the route and aircraft in such excellent detail... but hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread a little to seek advice and share some observations.

1. Does SQ offer early self check-in at Heathrow? Their website mentions that check-in opens 3 hours before the flight. Will I be able to check-in and drop my bags in the morning and return in the evening for the evening flight? I know airlines generally go 'offline' on the self-service kiosk when their flight is not ready for check-in.

2. Was on 9V-SNC. The latest 77WN in the fleet. IFE handset was slightly different from the earlier 77WNs. The colored buttons on the right side have been replaced by black ones. There are also 2 new "menu" and "power" buttons on each side of the controller screen. The handset has 'matt' trimmings around it compared to the older "all black" ones.

Additional buttons:

'matt' trimming:

Very very cool 3D flight information display:

3. New 'mock-tail' in Y - Citrus Delight - Blend of orange juice and tonic water.
        I requested for this during the meal service. FSS hesitated (and frowned), and said it will have to be specially prepared in the galley. She either didn't know how to prepare the drink, or did not have tonic water in her cart. I didn't pursue and settled for pineapple juice.

Service was very rushed, which was something I didn't quite understand. The load in Y was very light, and it was a 13 hour day time flight, why were they rushing through lunch service? I've noticed this increasing trend on many of my SQ flights in Y - a reluctance to offer beverages that are not in their meal cart. I now ask for non-standard drinks listed in their menu only after the meal service… ok, end of rant.

4. Breakfast:
        I was very impressed by the poached egg selection catered out of LHR. I assume they are eggs from free-range chickens judging by the color of the yolk. Runny - just the way poached eggs should be. In contrast, the poached eggs I had on another flight ex-SIN was literally hard-boiled.

5. New service ware in Y:
        They have recently 'updated' their Y service ware. It looks the same, except that the base of the bowl is now wider....Wonder if they are planning to increase the quantity of food in these bowls

New

old

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
          Very nice TR yflyer... glad you finally got to try the new J product.
          Thanks, icn.sg! And thanks for sharing your pictures and thoughts on SQ305 as well. Very useful and interesting info...

1. Does SQ offer early self check-in at Heathrow? Their website mentions that check-in opens 3 hours before the flight. Will I be able to check-in and drop my bags in the morning and return in the evening for the evening flight? I know airlines generally go 'offline' on the self-service kiosk when their flight is not ready for check-in.
          Not sure about this but I wouldn't count on it. The good thing is that SQ has flights throughout the day, and it is likely that the check in counter is open, but whether or not they will accept luggage is a different matter.

I've noticed this increasing trend on many of my SQ flights in Y - a reluctance to offer beverages that are not in their meal cart. I now ask for non-standard drinks listed in their menu only after the meal service… ok, end of rant.
          I wouldn't let that stop me from ordering a drink not on the cart. I would just ask for the drink anyway and if they say they will bring it later, I am fine with that. Usually it comes quite fast.

I was very impressed by the poached egg selection catered out of LHR. I assume they are eggs from free-range chickens judging by the color of the yolk. Runny - just the way poached eggs should be.
          Thanks for posting the poached eggs pic! Looks delicious! I was wondering what the eggs looked like.

5. New service ware in Y:
          They have recently 'updated' their Y service ware.
          Ultra observant, as usual! Now that you mentioned it, I didn't have to struggle to get the plastic tops off either, like I did when the new serviceware was first introduced...

Comment

Another great TR yflyer!
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
              Another great TR yflyer!
              Thanks, Pinkfloyd!

Comment

great TR as usual enjoyed reading it.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  great TR as usual enjoyed reading it.
                  Thanks, SQflyergirl!

Comment

Thanks yflyer,

London's food scene is so exciting. Definitely would try Andina in future visits.
                    As for St John, the bone arrow is still one of the best dishes I ever had lifetime. Incredible.

As for LHR SKL, hmm, I know you like it, and I haven't been there yet but ahemm ... from the pictures, for me (who is in some sort of design industry), that 'new' design gets some serious bashing from me

It's safe and forgettable and looks like something that comes from early 2000s. i dont expect SQ to be stylish like VS, it goes for some sort of timeless upscale elegance, but I just don't see it in this LHR lounge. The SKL in T2 is not elaborate as the flagship in T3, but it says SQ. They should standardise all worldwide SKL to similar standard at least. And LHR is quite a big station to deserve some really good lounge.

PS: I just read leops1984's report on the MNL lounge. It's the same design with the ugh timber screen design.... (that's the cheesiest element for me). They put the same generic design all over the world and these I am afraid are not going to be their brand ambassador. I think now I know, even the DEL SKL is probably the same. I can't recall because it is forgettable and I really don't like that place. I always go to the LH lounge next door inside which is brighter and less jaded definitely.
                    Last edited by SQueeze; 8 May 2016, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
                      Thanks yflyer,

London's food scene is so exciting. Definitely would try Andina in future visits.
                      As for St John, the bone arrow is still one of the best dishes I ever had lifetime. Incredible.

As for LHR SKL, hmm, I know you like it, and I haven't been there yet but ahemm ... from the pictures, for me (who is in some sort of design industry), that 'new' design gets some serious bashing from me

It's safe and forgettable and looks like something that comes from early 2000s. i dont expect SQ to be stylish like VS, it goes for some sort of timeless upscale elegance, but I just don't see it in this LHR lounge. The SKL in T2 is not elaborate as the flagship in T3, but it says SQ. They should standardise all worldwide SKL to similar standard at least. And LHR is quite a big station to deserve some really good lounge.

PS: I just read leops1984's report on the MNL lounge. It's the same design with the ugh timber screen design.... (that's the cheesiest element for me). They put the same generic design all over the world and these I am afraid are not going to be their brand ambassador. I think now I know, even the DEL SKL is probably the same. I can't recall because it is forgettable and I really don't like that place. I always go to the LH lounge next door inside which is brighter and less jaded definitely.
                      Hi SQueeze!

Agree the London food scene is quite amazing!

For the SQ LHR Lounge, I do quite like it, mainly for the F&B, the full service bar, and the fact that it has tarmac views.

But I also do agree that the decor (And the new "Home away from home" theme as well) is not as distinctive as the style and design of some other airlines.

For some reason, SQ tends to choose lounge stying that is on the conservative side.

I typically judge lounges by different standards depending on whether they are outstation lounges or home base lounges. In many cases, the outstation lounges are constrained by the available space. Will we ever see a spectacular outstation lounge like the previous SQ ICN lounge (Now closed) in the main terminal again?

In that respect, my favourite home base lounges are the QF and CX lounges, which have great styling. In fact, QF's lounges in HKG and SIN are pretty amazing too. The QF Lounge is probably my favourite lounge in SIN, preferable even to SQ's J lounge. I quite like the JL lounges in HND, and the LH FRA lounges as well. I am also a big fan of the QR and EK lounges in their respective home bases. These are all more jawdropping than SQ's home base offering. Even the Air Canada Lounge in LHR has more distinctive styling than SQ.

I am hopeful that SQ will go all out to make their new Changi lounges, whether the new one in the upcoming T5, or any revamp of T2/T3 lounges, worthy of SQ's reputation.
                      Last edited by yflyer; 8 May 2016, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Great TR, thanks. Based on the pics it does seem MH's LHR lounge looks better. Haven't been to too many lounges but that one is one I really like.

Comment

Great TR as usual.

One comment though: you can use Fast Track security upon departure at T2 (look for the signs labelled 'Gold Track') when departing in Y if you have a *G card.

Comment

Great TR!

I will be flying SQ321 from LHR to SIN early June. Was wondering if it is wise to order a seafood meal since the menu options looks great. Hmmm...

Comment

Originally posted by jani View Post
                              Great TR, thanks. Based on the pics it does seem MH's LHR lounge looks better. Haven't been to too many lounges but that one is one I really like.
                              Thanks, jani!

I haven't been to the MH lounge in LHR, but I am a fan of the MH lounges in KUL.

Comment

Originally posted by chisquared View Post
                                Great TR as usual.

One comment though: you can use Fast Track security upon departure at T2 (look for the signs labelled 'Gold Track') when departing in Y if you have a *G card.
                                Thanks, chisquared!

I didn't know there was a Gold Track! Will look out for it the next time round...

Originally posted by FlyKingsley View Post
                                Great TR!

I will be flying SQ321 from LHR to SIN early June. Was wondering if it is wise to order a seafood meal since the menu options looks great. Hmmm...

Thanks, FlyKingsley! At least judging from the Y meal I had, the catering ex-LHR is pretty decent.

Comment

Working...
                                X