Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit card service fee to be implemented on Singapore-based booking from 20 Jan 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweet Suites View Post
    Confirmed as just for Economy Lite fares. It was very poorly presented by SQ when it first appeared though.

Singapore Airlines introduce Credit Card surcharge, but only on the cheapest economy tickets
    Well well... Maybe there was too much complain that the header has now been changed to
    From 20 January 2018, a non-refundable service fee may be added to each ticket issued on Economy Lite fares paid for via credit card.
    This morning when I did my search the header reads
    From 20 January 2018, a non-refundable service fee may be added to each ticket issued on certain fares paid for via credit card.

Comment

LH charge to use credit cards but not debit card.

However, when I booked around 12 months ago I selected debit on screen and entered in a credit card. It all went through and I didn't get the surcharge.

Might be worth trying with SQ?

Comment

So they're going the way of UK travel products where credit card transactions get charged at 2-2.5% (w/o a cap on the amount that can be charged).

Comment

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
          So they're going the way of UK travel products where credit card transactions get charged at 2-2.5% (w/o a cap on the amount that can be charged).
          Not for long: BBC - Credit and debit card surcharges to be banned

The new law comes into force on Saturday next week (13 Jan). Even SIA, who have been charging 1% on credit card payments for all fares ex-UK (capped at £20), will have to comply.

Singapore government could follow suit, if it wanted

Comment

Double post
            Last edited by Sweet Suites; 6 January 2018, 04:22 PM. Reason: Double post

Comment

If SQ are going the way of budget carriers, will their fares follow suit too?

Comment

It is a trend to either strip all benefits from the lowest class fares or bump up all kinds of fees to preserve its benefits. UA, AA, BA, EK, QR etc are on this trajectory in different forms. It is spreading to SQ, CX and soon QF.

Unlikeable but inadvertent....

Comment

Interesting. The EU has just made charging for different payment methods illegal. Can’t remember exactly when it comes into effect but sometime in 2018. Remain curious to see how that works out in practice. I don’t expect tix ex-SIN to be covered.
                  /Desert Traveller

Comment

It feel real stupid for SQ to impose the credit card fee for the lowest tier. Can just simply add in the fare n no one will notice. Maybe can just add $5 or $10 per ticket into their all in ticket price during the pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by sbs2716g View Post
                      It feel real stupid for SQ to impose the credit card fee for the lowest tier. Can just simply add in the fare n no one will notice. Maybe can just add $5 or $10 per ticket into their all in ticket price during the pricing.
                      It does make the whole booking process less transparent, hassled and unpleasant for SQ loyalists who believe in a certain kind of product. I was wondering too why they couldn't just adjust the fare to whatever revenue they wish to receive. I suspect it has something to do with not appearing too far at the bottom on OTA websites - which SIA already is anyway. Maybe they will lower fares further for K class?

But all in all, the Transformation Office is making some offensive moves

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                        Ok then just use PayPal lor.

Otherwise DBS altitude with 3x points when booked on website.
                        Does anyone know if Paypal invites a DCC charge? My experience on this is that it is a hit or miss.

Comment

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                          It does make the whole booking process less transparent, hassled and unpleasant for SQ loyalists who believe in a certain kind of product. I was wondering too why they couldn't just adjust the fare to whatever revenue they wish to receive. I suspect it has something to do with not appearing too far at the bottom on OTA websites - which SIA already is anyway. Maybe they will lower fares further for K class?

But all in all, the Transformation Office is making some offensive moves
                          Second that!

SQ is cheap now. On-board budget cut, less consistent meals, credit card fees, lower service quality.

Only plus is an increment to 50% KF earning.

Comment

The header has now disappeared completely from booking pages on the website. Did SQ suddenly backtrack (which looks really stupid also)?

Comment

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...d-fees-9831474

Seems like they decided to cancel that credit card fee thing.

Comment

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
                                The header has now disappeared completely from booking pages on the website. Did SQ suddenly backtrack (which looks really stupid also)?
                                They have cancelled this plan due to public reaction against it

Comment

Working...
                                X