Behind the scenes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behind the scenes

Apart from service training related matter, SQ seems very secretive when it comes to its "behind the scenes" operations unlike other airlines.

I always wondered how SQ's operational duties were split. SQ is headquartered in Airline House near the airport but the building doesn't seem to be connected directly to the airport. Do cabin crews ever get to go to the headquarters (apart from training) ?

In terminal 3 downstairs, there is an area where we can see crews going in and out, it seems to be where they do their briefing but we never get to see pilots there; wondering whether they had a separate briefing.

Also, there is an area in Changi Airport near the offices called "SIA Inflight Operations and Control Centre". Is this the area from where the overall airline's operations and flights are coordinated and tracked (OCC)?

It always triggered me as it seems that many of SQ's resources are allocated right inside the airport terminal rather than in the headquarters. Must be one of the only airlines to do so.

You might be interested in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuGqKYk3pQ&t=34s

Comment

Yes thanks, I saw it ! Very interesting, was surprised to see that finally there is a proper documentary about SIA. But many of my questions remain unanswered. The same documentary was done with Turkish Airlines "Inside Turkish Airlines" and there is much more that is told to viewers.

Comment

SQ's HQ in Airline House houses the senior management and the various departments. Cabin and flight crew rarely go there as they have no need to. Flight and cabin crew training is conducted at SIA Training Centre at Upper Changi Road.
        Cabin crews report to work and hold their briefing at T3 basement. Whereas pilots get their flight plans and weather charts etc etc at T2 basement.

Comment

Ok thanks a lot for clarifying my doubts. And what about Silkair crews, where do they brief?
          What about the Operations Control Centre? It is in the airport terminal too or inside Airline House? ... and are Silkair and SQ sharing the same OCC?

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
            SQ's HQ in Airline House houses the senior management and the various departments. Cabin and flight crew rarely go there as they have no need to. Flight and cabin crew training is conducted at SIA Training Centre at Upper Changi Road.
            Cabin crews report to work and hold their briefing at T3 basement. Whereas pilots get their flight plans and weather charts etc etc at T2 basement.
            believed cabin crew and tech crew goes to their respective "Control" to report for flight in both T3 and T2, depending on where their flights are scheduled from which terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by r123 View Post
              What about the Operations Control Centre? It is in the airport terminal too or inside Airline House? ... and are Silkair and SQ sharing the same OCC?
              My information is from waaayyyyy back from the early 90's when I worked for SATS, so they may be way way out of date. But, essentially, SIA's flight Ops Control Centre is/was called Station SIN, and at the time, it was located in T2 (since T3 didn't exist at the time and all SIA's flights operated from T2). I believe Station SIN might now be located/operated out of T3.

Think of it this way, all "flight operations" related matters are typically operated out of Changi Airport, whereas Airline House typically only handles the Corporate, Admin, etc matters...
              Last edited by wlgspotter; 5 July 2017, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Not sure whether T2 still has a cabin crew reporting area as I see many cabin crews walking across T2 and T3 at the basement bridge. Not that I am aware of at least. Not sure of flight crew as well.
                MI cabin crew have a separate reporting area independent of SIA's. Not sure of OCC either. But I do know that SIA's maintenance control is located in T1.
                Off topic, but since SIA is on a cost cutting drive, just wondered if SIA could consolidate all their various subsidaries cabin and tech crew control rooms into one ? They could probably save some money from the rental leases.

Comment

I once received a letter from SIA following a reimbursement for a significant delay. I realized that down the letter, it said that SIA could be contacted through phone, letter, fax or email but also telex and cable.

I wonder what is the difference between Telex and Cable in this case.

I guess it is used internally and allows different stations and pilots to keep contact easily?

Telex seems a thing of the past but it is prevalent in the airline industry. Anyone has highlights on the use of telex and cables (e.g how is it used, why still today, what is the difference between the two and so on)?

Comment

Originally posted by r123 View Post
                    I once received a letter from SIA following a reimbursement for a significant delay. I realized that down the letter, it said that SIA could be contacted through phone, letter, fax or email but also telex and cable.

I wonder what is the difference between Telex and Cable in this case.

I guess it is used internally and allows different stations and pilots to keep contact easily?

Telex seems a thing of the past but it is prevalent in the airline industry. Anyone has highlights on the use of telex and cables (e.g how is it used, why still today, what is the difference between the two and so on)?
                    Don't think they use Telex anymore. Years back in 80s, Telex is used to send passenger name list to station few hours before fight departure. This serve as a backup in the event of IT system failure. The station then use the list to check in passengers at the airport.

Comment

I tried the new 777-300 cabin on a long haul, pretty good experience.

I am however puzzled by the new inflight call functions. There are a handful numbers that can be called free of charge (e.g. SITA technical support, Visa, Mastercard and even Panasonic Technical Support). What puzzled me the most is that passenger seats have free call access to the telemedical assistance as well as OCC. I thought that the function would not work but when I pressed on "SIA ENG OCC", someone answered my call, presumably from the Operations Control Centre. Anyone knows why pax are given access to these functions that are rather reserved to the operational staff behind the scene. Was it a system error? Anyone has an idea why are pax given access to this?

Here is the list of free calls passengers can make on the new 777-300:

24 hours Aircom Customer Service
                      Technical Assistance
                      SIA CMIV MOC (what this means???)
                      Panasonic Customer Care
                      AMEX
                      Diners International
                      Mastercard Asia
                      JCB
                      Tenzing Customer Support
                      GES (what that means???)
                      SATCOM
                      Panasonic Conference