Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QF to resume SIN-LHR, A380 ops

Hot off the press..

QANTAS and Emirates today announced their intention to extend their landmark partnership for another 5 years.

For Singapore, this means the resumption of QF1/2 SIN-LHR and reintroduction of A380 operations to Changi.

Major schedule changes (including previously announced routes) effective 25 March 2018:

London Ops
    MEL-DXB-LHR replaced by MEL-PER-LHR (787)
    SYD-DXB-LHR replaced by SYD-SIN-LHR (A380)

Singapore Ops
    SYD-SIN: 14 weekly A330 > 7 weekly A380 (to LHR) + 7 weekly A330
    MEL-SIN: 10 weekly A330 > 7 weekly A380 + 7 weekly A330

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...d-partnership/

Took them all of 5 years to realise that most people don't desire to transit/visit in Dubai?

This is good news for consumers, more competition out of SIN/LHR/SYD. But for SQ's management, a massive dose of Imodium and Panadol is required.

Originally posted by Straits Times
    From next March, Qantas will also increase the number of Melbourne-Singapore flights and operate the service with the bigger A-380 instead of the current A-330.

The additional services will mean an additional 3,806 one-way seats - a 5.5 per cent increase - on Singapore-Australia routes every week.

Capacity on Singapore-Britain routes will increase by 18.3 per cent, or an extra 3,388 one-way seats a week.
    http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ndon-route-via
    Last edited by CarbonMan; 31 August 2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
      Took them all of 5 years to realise that most people don't desire to transit/visit in Dubai?

This is good for consumers, more competition out of SIN. But for SQ's management, a massive dose of Imodium and Panadol is required.
      I think SQ should be more worried about Norwegian more than Qantas though.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
        I think SQ should be more worried about Norwegian more than Qantas though.
        Norwegian is a low cost carrier and its frequency is 4 times weekly only. SIA should be more worried about Qantas due to the frequencies and size of aircrafts and this may also lead Qantas to increase more flights through SIN in future.
        Last edited by flyguy; 31 August 2017, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Huge News

This is a big announcement, there had been rumours Qantas was considering switching one of its London flights to transit via Singapore, but to do this on masse for both Sydney & Melbourne, and upgrading to A380's in the process is a major win for Changi Airport.

I'm Australian, and a lot of people I spoke to were not happy transiting through Dubai on Qantas. Singapore must have seen the impact and is hoping to restore some of the Kangaroo Route traffic by returning to Changi. Note that SQ have increased frequencies to Sydney and Melbourne to up to five flights daily some days, which must be hurting Qantas.

In addition to the through traffic to London, also expect Jetstar Asia to expand, probably into India and further into China to accommodate some of the Qantas passengers. SQ must have a huge share of India - Australia transit traffic (which I've seen first-hand on some flights to Sydney), and Qantas want a slice of the action.

Comment

QANTAS and Emirates today announced their intention to extend their landmark partnership for another 5 years.
            I am confused. They extend the agreement but no longer transit in DXB? What doesn't this agreement actually do now? Is it just codeshares with EK?

Comment

This is wonderful news, frankly. I've long been waiting for more capacity to MEL see as the prices on SIN-MEL are sky high especially in the southern summer. I've also been waiting to try SIN-LHR on QF's PEY.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post

This is good news for consumers, more competition out of SIN/LHR/SYD. But for SQ's management, a massive dose of Imodium and Panadol is required.
                I am sure Singapore Airport is one of the best in the world and clearly much better than transiting through Dubai.

I think SQ's management will be concerned about LHR-SIN sector, but certainly not SIN-SYD/MEL. Singapore to Australia seems strongest for SQ with feeds from China, India and Europe. Moreover, most SYD/MEL-SIN flights are always full on SQ.

I wonder whether there's space for SQ to launch LGW with A350-900 aircraft similar to what Cathay Pacific to offer. That'll effectively beat Norwegian wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
                  I wonder whether there's space for SQ to launch LGW with A350-900 aircraft similar to what Cathay Pacific to offer. That'll effectively beat Norwegian wouldn't it?
                  It's not that simple. LGW is inferior to LHR, being further from London, so SQ would have difficulty attracting high-yielding business passengers who prefer LHR. SQ will have to compete with Norwegian on price, charging similar prices to Norwegian between LGW and SIN. This would not be sustainable as SQ has a higher cost base than Norwegian and SQ would bleed money on the route.

Scoot has a much better chance of success flying SIN-LGW, effectively creating a low-cost Kangaroo Route connecting London to Australia via Singapore.

Comment

Working...
                  X