Favourite route in terms of food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite route in terms of food

Just been on the LHR-SIN flight and was thinking that it is my favourite SQ flight in terms of food offering.

It has Satay an absolute must to be even considered for this award
    I love the Duck Rice BTC out of LHR
    It is the full dinner service (even if I do not like caviar)
    Both the 11.00am or 6.30pm departures mean you eat at a normal time
    I like the fact that it is dinner and breakfast. I find the SIN-LHR routes were you get Dinner and Lunch just too much and too similar.

My favourite route in terms of food:

Home -Yat Wo coffee shop(chee cheong fun)- Soo kee Ipoh hor Fun- Ali Maju Pusat Bandar Damansara(tandoori and garlic naan) - Gasing Kai Fan - Sun Wing Heong SS2(ngow yoke kon) - Lotus Gasing(banana leaf)- Home.

not many EQM,
    not many RDM,
    not many BIS either.
    No lounge access,
    some chances of getting bumped without compensation
    Waitlists can be long sometimes

but.......
    Plenty of calories though. Love it.

In terms of AIRLINE food - NRT-LAX. . always something interesing, IMHO.

Comment

Haven't been on the LHR-SIN route for a long time, my favourite is SQ2 SIN-HKG-SFO.

Comment

Another vote for the LHR flights. Not only excellent catering, but excellent crews as well. Seems like SQ really takes an extra step on this route.

For SIN-LHR I usually go with SQ320 or SQ322 depending on how schedule works for me. If I am on leisure or in no need of a rush for meetings, I would go for SQ320. This flight IMO has the most comprehensive meal service of all the long haul sectors. I've always felt I've gained extra weight after taking this flight with a heavy lunch after takeoff and a heavy dinner before landing. Plus it arrives into town just in time for bed and a fresh day the following morning. If I am in a rush and can't sacrifice an extra day of flying, SQ322 works the best for me. Gets me into London early in the morning where I can check into my hotel and take a brief nap 8-8:30 am and be ready for my meeting or appointment. And yes I do love the SQ the fresh egg breakfast which I get on SQ322. Though I have to admit it feels awkward to be eating breakfast at 3 or 4 am UK time. And often this flight arrives (sometimes the 1st flight to arrive morning into LHR) very early that Fast Track is not opened yet and my eyes would still be in GAGA mode by the time I get out. SQ308 IMO is the worst of the 3 flights in terms of timing. Taking this flight means waking up at OMG hours for departure and by the time you arrive into LHR, its only 3PM and you still have another 7 hours to burn and stay awake.

On LHR-SIN, without a doubt my favorite is SQ319. Full dinner service after takeoff with great variety of choices and quality and just in time for the pampering of turn down service for bed afterwards. Wake up for breakfast and a smooth early afternoon arrival. I've taken this flight already 3 times this year for the eastbound Kangaroo route (twice connecting to AKL, once connecting to SYD). Even though SQ321 is the flight that is suppose to connect immediately to SQ285 or SQ221, I've always used SQ319 to connect to these flights and don't mind the long layover in SIN. Gives me the opportunity to sleep & swim at the transit hotel and take care of my paper work inside the SKL for 6-7 hours. As a matter of fact will be using SQ319 again to connect to SQ285 on the return trip this month. IMO the meals on SQ321 is not as comprehensive as 319 and certainly feels strange to depart LHR at night, sleep and then wake up to realize it's near evening in SIN and certainly makes it difficult to sleep again on the following sector to Aus/NZ. I've never taken SQ317 and have no intentions in doing so anytime soon. This is by far the worst flight timing among the 3 LHR-SIN. Too early to sleep with the noon departure and then by the time you are tired, it is almost time to land into SIN EARLY MORNING.

So my order of preference top to bottom from most preferable to least would be:

SIN-LHR:
        1) SQ320
        2) SQ322
        3) SQ308 (avoid if possible)

LHR-SIN:
        1) SQ319
        2) SQ321
        3) SQ317 (avoid if possible)

Just a note from my experience that satay is served on SQ320 (Dinner)/319 (Dinner) but not on SQ322/321. As stated earlier, never taken 308/317 and have no idea if satay is available for these flights.

Also in addition to the LHR flights, I have fallen in love with SQ286/285 operating the AKL sectors. Like SQ320, SQ286 is a daytime flight with nice meal offerings - light lunch after takeoff and full dinner (satay included) prior to landing. This 10.5 hour sector gives pax just enough time to get a feel of what F class is like by staying awake for most of the flight. On the return, SQ285 IMO is much better than SQ221 to SYD because the extra long hours of flying gives me just the amount of time needed to sleep in regular duration whereas SQ221 is just way to short to catch sufficient amount of rest. If one is flying SIN-SYD I would instead advice them to take the daytime flight SQ219 and avoid the later two overnight flights as there is just not enough flying time to get a descent amount of sleep.
        Last edited by Rejuvenated; 5 November 2006, 02:43 PM.
        My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

I like the food ex-LAX SQ27/37 (never done SQ11) but can't say the same for the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
            I like the food ex-LAX SQ27/37 (never done SQ11) but can't say the same for the airport.
            Yeah LAX TBIT is a zoo most time of the day.
            But I was pleasantly surprised by the joint interim F lounge at LAX (much nicer than SQ's SKL; nice large windows) and the SKL TPE (good local food/beverage selections; large windows).

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
              I love the Duck Rice BTC out of LHR
              Any views on the roast goose rice BTC out of HKG ? I'd go to Yung Kee but only 2 hours in HKG so willl have to make do!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                Any views on the roast goose rice BTC out of HKG ? I'd go to Yung Kee but only 2 hours in HKG so willl have to make do!
                I have never had it actually the one time I booked it they forgot to load it.

Comment

I have been on the ADL SQ230/SQ229 AND THE FOOD ISN'T too bad but haven't done the flight since the number changes to SQ269/SQ268.

Comment

Wow, blast from the past!

SIN-NRT for SQ Y.
                    SIN-LHR is SQ F.
                    NGO-CTS for NH F domestic.

J is difficult, there are so many, but I'd probably have to say NRT-BKK on NH J remains etched in memory.

LX comes a close second for consistency over SQ on the J SIN-BKK route.

Not enough to warrant that much of a price differential, though.

Comment

In C I like flights between SIN and Japan for the Hanagoyomi - yummy.

Comment

Working...
                      X