Changi observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi observations

Coming through yesterday we came into F59. This meant we had to pass F58 (obviously...) and not having been up that end for a while I thought it looked like F58 had had quite a make-over. It looked very bright and colourful and also seemed to have a bigger waiting area.

I also noticed a board/banner with Priority Lane or similar which must be quite new as they had Business Class () as well as First, PPS and Gold listed on there.

Also did the usual land on T1 runway and the taxi long way around to gate. Why are they still doing this ?. While going the long way I also saw a BA 777 at T1, with a company 744 next gate but one. This is the first time I've seen one of them in here. Was that a tech swap ?.

It goes without saying I failed to beat my luggage to the carousel again...

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Also did the usual land on T1 runway and the taxi long way around to gate. Why are they still doing this ?. While going the long way I also saw a BA 777 at T1, with a company 744 next gate but one. This is the first time I've seen one of them in here. Was that a tech swap ?.
    BA15/16 to/from SYD via SIN has been switched to a 772 for quite some time now. The BA 744 you saw was most likely BA11/12 which terminates in SIN (it previously operated as BA17/18 to/from MEL ).
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Nice to see they still have RAFFLES Class on signs and at check-in here.

However, I was chatting with the lounge dragons yesterday and they say the big RAFFLES sign on the left at the entrance to the SKL will be replaced soon with B******s Class.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this has been addressed before, but anyone know if the palm tree will be killed off as well?

Sad to see Raffles go, but if the iconic palm tree goes too, then I'll just be downright sad.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
          I'm pretty sure this has been addressed before, but anyone know if the palm tree will be killed off as well?

Sad to see Raffles go, but if the iconic palm tree goes too, then I'll just be downright sad.
          Given the new Business Class promotional materials that I have seen, it certainly appears to be the case. The palm tree was an integral part of the old Raffles brand, and sadly that is now gone.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post

It feels like SQ is at the end of an era to me with plane titles ('Megatop', 'Jubilee') being taken off the aircraft, 'Raffles' gone, etc.

Anyway... welcome to SQTalk, globetrekker84. Good to see you here.

Comment

Glad to be here guys.

I think we need to have a little chat with SQ. I am not happy.

Comment

I also noticed a board/banner with Priority Lane or similar which must be quite new as they had Business Class () as well as First, PPS and Gold listed on there.
                I took a picture of this new board and looking at it again now it only lists First Class, Business ( ) Class and PPS Club.

It does not say KF or *A Gold!. This will go down well....

Comment

I took a picture of this new board and looking at it again now it only lists First Class, Business ( ) Class and PPS Club.

Hm, that's not playing by the rules...
                  They could get away with the SATS Lounge due to the wording ('designated') but I don't see how they can get away with abolishing priority boarding for *G/KF EG. An angry email will be in order once I'm denied *G priority boarding while flying Y. This is one of the *G perks that I've found to be most useful due to 'competition' onboard for overhead rack space.

Edited to add - , just noticed a disclaimer for the priority boarding perk - 'where available'. So they're well within their rights to abolish priority boarding for *G/KF EG in Y. I still won't be happy if it does happen...
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 19 November 2006, 10:05 PM.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I noticed this too on a couple of recent flights through Changi. This is also true in DEL airport, where I noticed the priority boarding excludes *G.

Comment

In the last couple of weeks I've been through SIN, SYD, BKK and HKG, the same banner was present in all places - First, B******s and PPS only. Given that I was told that the whole rebranding of Raffles was about closer *A integration (I don't really believe that and only will when they paint their aircraft in standard *A livery) this seems rather contradictory.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        Hm, that's not playing by the rules...
                        They could get away with the SATS Lounge due to the wording ('designated') but I don't see how they can get away with abolishing priority boarding for *G/KF EG. An angry email will be in order once I'm denied *G priority boarding while flying Y. This is one of the *G perks that I've found to be most useful due to 'competition' onboard for overhead rack space.

Edited to add - , just noticed a disclaimer for the priority boarding perk - 'where available'. So they're well within their rights to abolish priority boarding for *G/KF EG in Y. I still won't be happy if it does happen...
                        Based on my experience at SIN yesterday, priority boarding has not been abolished for EG and *G (they were called just after First and Business Class passengers were invited to board). The premium lane refers to the security line where they x-ray your stuff.

In practice, what this meant that was that the Y line was several times the length of the other line, no doubt partly because inexperienced travellers (with their propensity to require several attempts to find and take off all metal detector-triggering items) tend to be in the Y line.
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by LightSpeed View Post
                          I noticed this too on a couple of recent flights through Changi. This is also true in DEL airport, where I noticed the priority boarding excludes *G.
                          I had a talking-to with the SQ BOM boarding staff once recently, for not announcing *G along with C/F....

Followed up with an e-mail, and most times it is implemented nowadays...but if this is actually not stipulated in the rules/terms & conditions, then not good at all!

Comment

LightSpeed and SuperFlyBoy: sounds like you've been dealing with badly-trained contract ground staff. I hope your feedback to SQ in SIN will get the situation rectified. Nothing like rightful privileges denied to put a damper on the flight experience.
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                              LightSpeed and SuperFlyBoy: sounds like you've been dealing with badly-trained contract ground staff. I hope your feedback to SQ in SIN will get the situation rectified. Nothing like rightful privileges denied to put a damper on the flight experience.
                              Actually, check-in staff are/were? AI staff, working on behalf of SQ, supervised by SQ staffmembers. (This is scheduled to be changed, as soon as feasable, as I understand from SQ BOM...)

However, boarding procedures were implemented by SQ BOM staff, and I hope they have learned!!

Comment

Working...
                              X