No announcement yet.

How many DSLR users here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but with the impending demise of Aperture, I'm wondering what DAM all the camera freaks uses. I have a bad feeling it's LR.

Being that I'm in Silicon Valley more often than I care to be, my hatred for Adobe and their ridiculous subscription model runs almost as deep as my loathing of UA.
    HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but with the impending demise of Aperture, I'm wondering what DAM all the camera freaks uses. I have a bad feeling it's LR.
      Most do use LR I think but not all, e.g.

* Camera Bits' Photo Mechanic is popular I believe with those who need to ingest and deal quickly with large numbers of photos, e.g. photo journalists.

* Phase One's Media Pro which was bought by them from Microsoft (who called it Expression Media) who had in turn acquired it from iView (who called it iView Media Pro).

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
      Being that I'm in Silicon Valley more often than I care to be, my hatred for Adobe and their ridiculous subscription model runs almost as deep as my loathing of UA.
      Regardless of being in or out of Silicon Valley, a lot of (most ?) people think that SaaS is evil. And don't get me started on Adobe and their bloated super secure programs like Flash and Reader...

Comment

• Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Most do use LR I think but not all, e.g.
        Yup, but I figure on here, I'm gonna see LR recommended.

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        * Phase One's Media Pro which was bought by them from Microsoft (who called it Expression Media) who had in turn acquired it from iView (who called it iView Media Pro).
        Their Capture One Pro 8.x has been mentioned as a viable UPGRADE from Aperture. My #1 DAM requirement is the ability to edit/manipulate the metadata -- mainly because I forget to change the date and time when I fly from place to place. And we already know the new dumbed-down Photos won't be able to do that whatsoever.

Regardless of being in or out of Silicon Valley, a lot of (most ?) people think that SaaS is evil. And don't get me started on Adobe and their bloated super secure programs like Flash and Reader...
        Smart people realize how on point Steve Jobs was regarding Adobe. Things are moving towards HTML5. I mean, how many times do they need to update Flash in a given month?!?
        HUGE AL

Comment

Their Capture One Pro 8.x has been mentioned as a viable UPGRADE from Aperture. My #1 DAM requirement is the ability to edit/manipulate the metadata -- mainly because I forget to change the date and time when I fly from place to place.
          Depending on how comfortable you are with a command line, ExifTool will do what you want but if you want it wrapped around with a GUI something like GraphicConverter should also do the trick (I think - I haven't checked).

I have Capture One Pro - but not the accompanying Media Pro - and had understood that the former isn't exactly a DAM. Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Smart people realize how on point Steve Jobs was regarding Adobe. Things are moving towards HTML5. I mean, how many times do they need to update Flash in a given month?!?
            +1

Comment

Depending on how comfortable you are with a command line, ExifTool will do what you want but if you want it wrapped around with a GUI something like GraphicConverter should also do the trick (I think - I haven't checked).
              Yeah, I have heard of EfixTool. Prefer to have less software and adjust the metadata within the DAM.

I have Capture One Pro - but not the accompanying Media Pro - and had understood that the former isn't exactly a DAM. Maybe I'm wrong.
              From their FAQs on Capture One Pro 7:

Q - What is the role of Media Pro in this version of Capture One Pro?
              A - Media Pro has served as inspiration for many of the great new catalog features in Capture One Pro 7. The powerful and unique features of catalogs in Capture One Pro 7 -- ease of set up and ability to work on various catalogs open at the same time -- makes this a compelling DAM solution for our customers.
              Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              Unfortunately, the majority of the consuming public are stupid.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Ah yes, CP7 introduced a new concept of catalogs to follow how LR (and presumably Aperture) is setup. Previously, they just had "sessions" (which you would use for each new project etc).

Capture One originally started out as a RAW studio capture and workflow solution where you would always shoot tethered. The Sessions approach to organizing your work is specifically designed to meet the needs of such a workflow.

If you create a new session for each new job, Capture One will automatically create a folder structure to hold all the items for that shoot including RAW files, image adjustments, previews as well as an output folder for the processed images. At the end of a shoot, the Session folder will contain everything and can easily be moved from the computer in the studio to another computer for further editing or more permanent archiving.

Catalogs are the new organizing alternative in Capture One Pro 7. Catalogs have been designed to meet the needs of photography professionals and enthusiasts who shoot a lot of different images and want to easily search among a large number of images. Catalogs also provide effective tools for organizing images into Projects and Albums based on themes, projects, specific customers etc. or for easier showcasing of for instance, a portfolio.

Comment

• That Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1RM2 is looking SWEET!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

• Not a DSLR, but the Nikon Coolpix P900 with ultra high power zoom, with the 35mm equivalent of a 24mm to 2000mm zoom lens, looks to be able to take amazing pictures of aircraft (And probably scenery and ground landmarks from cruising altitude).

This camera was featured in STOMP a few days ago...

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/th...deo-goes-viral

I also just saw this video on Youtube which also gies you some idea of the camera's potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-0X3xJf-kg

Comment

Reviving a slightly old thread...

I was just wondering what photo equipment people take on their - general (not specifically for photography) - travels ?
                      For a general trip somewhere interesting I carry an original Olympus OM-D, with 12mm, 20mm and 45mm lenses. The lenses, together two spare batteries and a CPL fit in an old Remington shaver pouch, which is so perfect for the job it's spooky. The brilliance of the stabiliser in the camera means no tripod required, and the whole set up fits in one end of my Visconti messenger bag and weighs just shy of 1kg.

If it's nowhere interesting I just use my phone. If it's a photo trip then add a OM film set up to the above, still love film.

Lusting after a PEN-F right now for no rational reason!

Comment

• Originally posted by mr_botak View Post
                        For a general trip somewhere interesting I carry an original Olympus OM-D, with 12mm, 20mm and 45mm lenses.
                        If those are Olympus' lenses, then I have the m4/3 45mm lens too - great value for money from what I remember (except that the optional Olympus lens hood is way overpriced for a piece of plastic)!

Comment

• The 12mm and 45mm are Olympus. Both are brilliant, but outshone by the Panasonic 20mm which is an amazing piece of glass.

I found 3rd party hoods are the way to go, but the coatings are pretty flare resistant I've found.

Comment

• Anyone have an opinion on Leica lenses? Not planning to buy any (Way out of my budget), but I have a couple of friends who use Leica digital cameras and lenses and swear by them...just curious as to whether there is really that much difference?

Comment

• There are proper Leica digital cameras and Leica rebadged Panasonic cameras, e.g.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photogr...nic-lumix-lf1/

Comment

There are proper Leica digital cameras and Leica rebadged Panasonic cameras, e.g.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photogr...nic-lumix-lf1/
                                Referring to the proper ones...big, heavy and sometimes nonsensically manual in operation...

Comment

Working...
                                X