Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ to SQ or QF to SQ connection at MEL

Hi guys,

I am going to be flying MEL-SIN-FRA on SQ in J and on the day of the MEL-SIN sector will be flying from AKL to MEL on a separate ticket.

To allow for through check-in of my luggage from AKL to FRA, I assume the simplest option would be to fly on NZ from AKL to MEL as they would be able to check in my luggage from AKL all the way to FRA as both carriers are Star Alliance and if I show them my ticket for MEL-SIN-FRA at check in.

There is also a QF flight from AKL to MEL which arrives at the Melbourne International Terminal, but I am unsure whether QF in AKL would check through the luggage to FRA? I am assuming that it would be at their discretion as it is a different alliance and a separate ticket.

I believe an International Terminal to International Terminal connection at MEL would, as long as the luggage is checked through from AKL to FRA, not require me to go through CIQ and I would just follow the signs for flight connections and thereby staying airside.

Which of the two options would be best please for ease and not having to go through CIQ, recheck luggage and so on at MEL?

The QF option gives me a 5hr 45min layover and the NZ option about 6hr 30 mins by the way.

I have the option of doing AKL-SYD on NZ and then SYD-MEL on the same ticket with QF, yet I think that would be the most complicated of the options as I would have to go through CIQ at Sydney, recheck bags, take the shuttle bus to Terminal 3, collect baggage at MEL and then go from the Domestic Terminal to the International Terminal for check in with SQ.

That option would mean I could cut the connection time to around 4 hours or so, but it sounds like hassle for no reason.

Thanks in advance.

SQ and QF certainly interline luggage if the flights are on the same ticket. Even with separate tickets, I would be surprised if they would not interline the luggage. Both are full-service airlines.

Comment

No need for CIQ clearing in MEL i should think. QF and NZ will also interline your baggage, two separate tickets or not.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, krich.

Comment

Thanks very much guys, for your help and welcome .

I assume the only difference between NZ or QF interlining the luggage to SQ, would be that NZ would be able to put a Star Alliance priority tag which would hopefully mean faster luggage retrieval at FRA.

QF would presumably put their own priority tag on which would be useless at FRA, coming off an SQ flight?

Other than that, presuming luggage through checked to FRA, we would get off the NZ or QF flight in MEL International Terminal and I believe just follow signs to get to through security and up to the Departures Level without any need for CIQ.

There is a transfer desk to get the onward SQ boarding passes, if I don't already get them in AKL?

Comment

I find that few stations expedite bags with Priority tags. The ramp workers typically do whatever is the least work for them.

You should be able to get your SQ boarding pass in AKL.

Comment

Thanks . I've experienced priority tags at LHR T3 working, though that was off CX. I assume though that it would be more helpful having a Star Alliance tag that NZ would be able to put, rather than a Qantas one.

I understand that the SKL at MEL would not open before 21:05 (3hrs before SQ218 departs), so as a *G (bmi diamond club), if I was to arrive to MEL at 17:30 on the NZ from AKL or at 18:15 on the QF from AKL, I assume I would be able to access the NZ lounge before the SKL opens at 21:05?

If not, the Priority Pass lounge which is the United RCC would close at 18:30 and so there would be no lounge access for over 2 hours

The alternative is going through CIQ at MEL and manually making the connection by rechecking in e.t.c

Thanks guys.

Comment

Yes you'd be able to access the NZ lounge but I'm unsure of its opening times. IIRC the last NZ departure of the day happens to be the flight to WLG at 7pm-ish. Thai also uses the NZ lounge however they don't have a flight till 2330 and the NZ lounge might be shut for a few hours in the interim.

BTW if both the NZ lounge and SKL were open simultaneously - the NZ lounge would be my choice. Much nicer decor, more spacious and better wines.

Originally posted by krich View Post
                Thanks . I've experienced priority tags at LHR T3 working, though that was off CX. I assume though that it would be more helpful having a Star Alliance tag that NZ would be able to put, rather than a Qantas one.

I understand that the SKL at MEL would not open before 21:05 (3hrs before SQ218 departs), so as a *G (bmi diamond club), if I was to arrive to MEL at 17:30 on the NZ from AKL or at 18:15 on the QF from AKL, I assume I would be able to access the NZ lounge before the SKL opens at 21:05?

If not, the Priority Pass lounge which is the United RCC would close at 18:30 and so there would be no lounge access for over 2 hours

The alternative is going through CIQ at MEL and manually making the connection by rechecking in e.t.c

Thanks guys.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks

I will try and call NZ later and see if I can get some opening hours from them as it is quite possible that they would close for a while between the last NZ flight and the TG flight.

By the way, out of interest of the other options, how busy would CIQ likely be between say 5pm and 7pm on a Thursday at MEL? This is with a European passport by the way.

Thanks again .

Comment

Originally posted by krich View Post
                    By the way, out of interest of the other options, how busy would CIQ likely be between say 5pm and 7pm on a Thursday at MEL? This is with a European passport by the way.
                    There'd be a few trans tasman arrivals in that time frame. They tend to clear rather quickly IME. After 7pm CIQ gets slammed with long haul arrivals (SQ217, MH and QF30 come to mind).
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Excellent, thanks ever so much Great advice and information .

Any ideas what SYD CIQ is like during the same time period of 5pm to 7pm on a Thursday evening please?

Thanks again .

Comment

Working...
                      X