No announcement yet.

SQ 772ER to Hanoi in Economy: A Taste of Vietnam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The standout F&B item was the DIY pho and instant noodles, which quite a few pax (myself included) were helping themselves to.

There is also a smoking room, and a small massage room, with several massage chairs.

There are basic shower facilities available as well, although they did not seem to be very luxurious.

Comment

I headed to the gate...

Any pax who still had a craving for pho had one last opportunity...

At the gate, 772ER rego 9V-SVN was operating SQ175 today...

The J section, with the 2006 long haul J product...

Spacious Y cabin in 3-3-3, similar to the outbound SIN-HAN sector.

We pushed back on time...

"We are now pushing back, and will be towed to another terminal to pick up other passengers...." the pilot announced.

Up till this point, I suspect a large proportion of passengers still had no idea what was going on.

Comment

But those on the left side of the plane would know soon enough.

A red carpet had been rolled out, along with a ceremonial guard...

Our PM and his entourage soon boarded...

...doors were closed and we were on our way. All with minimum fuss and little time taken. Pax on the left of the plane would have seen the whole thing, but if you had headphones on or were on the other side of the plane, you would missed the whole thing and been none the wiser.

Efficient, understated, the whole process ran like clockwork. I guess that is the Singapore way.
        Last edited by yflyer; 1 April 2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

We taxied to our runway. Across the runway, you could see curved hangars of the Vietnamese Air Force, with fighter jets inside.

After a VN A350 landed, it was our turn to take off...

Last edited by yflyer; 2 April 2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I browsed the Kris Shop catalog...some interesting new items available this month...

Lunch was served on our flight...

Two choices: Western chicken with potatoes, or Asian fish with rice.

No menus were handed out, but on each catering cart there was a laminated menu card which the cabin crew could show to guests. This was the first time I had seen this menu card on SQ (JL has long had a similar menu card concept.)

I chose the fish with rice...

A very tasty starter...chilled glass noodles...

A delicious main as well...good fish texture, fluffy rice, and vegetables which still retained their flavour.

Cake for dessert...

Last edited by yflyer; 4 April 2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Off the coast of Vietnam...

...the coastline just past Ho Chi Minh City in South Vietnam...

...and descending over the island of Pulau Sibu, with its sandy beaches, near Johor (Mersing) in Malaysia.

A very smooth landing on runway 20C in Changi...

...passing one of SQ's A350's...

...before arriving at our gate.

Overall, an excellent flight, no different from any other SQ flight once airborne, despite our distinguished passengers in the front cabin.
              Last edited by yflyer; 4 April 2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Final thoughts?

As you would expect, SQ is a great way to get to and from Hanoi from Singapore. Although this is just a 3+ hour sector, I think it does make a difference to be on a widebody 777, and SQ's superb cabin service and catering did enhance the experience on the flights, even if the Y product was not the newest generation product. In J, I doubt anyone would have any complaints about the longhaul J product on this short sector.

As for Hanoi, I think it is a great place to visit as a tourist -- there is still a lot to see that is unique. I was also struck by the potential for growth in the economy there as well, not least in terms of infrastructure and services.

And of course, the food in Hanoi is something anyone with an adventurous palate would relish.

I only spent two days there -- hardly any time at all. I hope to be back again soon to sample everything else this city has to offer.

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Thanks for the report! And most certainly a very interesting perspective of what flying with the PM onboard can be like!

Comment

Greet TR yet again! I'm surprised they didn't send down a 77W, keeping the PM and his crew in F.
                    God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Great TR once again yflyer! Brot back lots of memories for me as I used to fly up to Hanoi frequently 10 yrs ago. Noi Bai has been impressively refurbished, I see from yr pics, as have more high rise skyscrapers! But the Opera House and Hilton retain their old world charm.

I'm surprised you can even run thru Hang Bong; one could barely keep alive between the pedestrians and thronging motorbike traffic

PS. Interesting perspective how our leaders travel, thanks for that additional insight

Comment

Originally posted by wdranne View Post
                        Thanks for the report! And most certainly a very interesting perspective of what flying with the PM onboard can be like!
                        Originally posted by jammed View Post
                        PS. Interesting perspective how our leaders travel, thanks for that additional insight
                        Thanks, wdranne and jammed! Yes, it certainly made the flight more memorable.

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                        Greet TR yet again! I'm surprised they didn't send down a 77W, keeping the PM and his crew in F.
                        Thanks, Pinkfloyd! Nah, I doubt they would swop equipment types just for that!

Great TR once again yflyer! Brot back lots of memories for me as I used to fly up to Hanoi frequently 10 yrs ago. Noi Bai has been impressively refurbished, I see from yr pics, as have more high rise skyscrapers! But the Opera House and Hilton retain their old world charm.
                        Thanks, jammed! I saw many modern high rise developments coming up, but a lot of old Hanoi still exists. I hope they retain the traditional parts of Hanoi, as those parts of the city are very unique and charming.

I'm surprised you can even run thru Hang Bong; one could barely keep alive between the pedestrians and thronging motorbike traffic
                        Yes, crossing the roads in Hanoi was a little challenging...got to be very careful, with all those motorcycles zipping around.

Comment

Hello yflyer!

As someone who now frequents Vietnam, I really enjoyed reading your report! Of the 3 weeks I was in Vietnam in March, the week you (and PM) were there was the only week I wasn't there. Haha. It would've been cool to be on board the same plane as PM and see what you saw out of the window...

Overall looks like SQ did a good job as usual. But they really do need to upgrade those Y seats on the 772s. Hopefully they continue with the refurbishment of the hand-me-down 77W seats quickly.

I should try that Obama place one day.

Does the Hotel de l'Opera earn you the the usual benefits on Accor programme?

Comment

Yflyer,

I can't express how much I look forward to reading your TRs. They are always insightful, entertaining and with just the right dose of information that I look for in a TR - cabin products, services, hotels and restaurants to visit.

Another excellent TR, with equally great pictures that doesn't require me to rotate my handheld device too often.

Hotel de L'opera

Very nice property, and one that I would seriously consider for my next visit. I've been clocking nights at Pan Pacific (for Sofitel) in Hanoi over the last couple of months, a 5 min stroll to the lake and approximately 20min taxi ride from the airport. It has aged a little, but overall good service, very decent breakfast spread, nice lap pool and gym. I've passed by L'opera many times and always wondered how it is inside; now I know. I suspect costs much more than the Pan Pacific.

VN Lounge

I have the exact photo of the crew cut-outs! I've visited the lounge several times in the last couple of months, and not once did I notice that there is a Smoking Room!. Where exactly is it?

Laminated Menu

Never seen this before...
                            I hope the laminated menu is limited only to flights where physical menus are not given, and not SQ's attempt to 'test market' with the plan to get rid of physical menus altogether! Did the crew show you the options in advance before they arrived at your row like how JL and NH does it?

I foresee menus being loaded onto the IFE in time to come. I've been told SQ has been debating getting rid of paper menus in Y for the longest time.

Lastly, my understanding is that the Singapore ministers are only eligible to travel J on business trips. The PM gets F if it is available but if the aircraft only has Suites and J, as in the A380, he is only eligible for J as the former is deemed too extravagant for a public servant. Can anyone confirm this?

Once again, keep those TRs coming...I'm still catching up on your past reviews!

Comment

Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                              Hello yflyer!
                              As someone who now frequents Vietnam, I really enjoyed reading your report!
                              Thanks, pokfur!

Of the 3 weeks I was in Vietnam in March, the week you (and PM) were there was the only week I wasn't there. Haha. It would've been cool to be on board the same plane as PM and see what you saw out of the window...
                              Wow...that's a lot of travel to Vietnam! I've only been to Hanoi, not HCM City, which is still on my to-do list.

Does the Hotel de l'Opera earn you the the usual benefits on Accor programme?
                              The hotel is marketed as "MGallery by Sofitel", so I believe any Sofitel / Accor benefits would apply. I am not a member of their programme (I try to focus on SPG/Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt in that order), but from the hotel website, it states that you can both earn and redeem points on Accor's Le Club programme.

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                              I can't express how much I look forward to reading your TRs.
                              Thanks, icn.sg!

Hotel de L'opera

Very nice property, and one that I would seriously consider for my next visit. I've been clocking nights at Pan Pacific (for Sofitel) in Hanoi over the last couple of months, a 5 min stroll to the lake and approximately 20min taxi ride from the airport.
                              On my previous trips, I stayed at the Intercontinental West Lake, which is a very nice hotel too, but quite far from the French Quarter.

VN Lounge

I have the exact photo of the crew cut-outs!
                              Yah, seldom see so many competing airlines rubbing shoulders!

I've visited the lounge several times in the last couple of months, and not once did I notice that there is a Smoking Room!. Where exactly is it?
                              The smoking room is next to the room with the massage chairs. The fact that you didn't notice it is probably a good thing: either you are a non-smoker, or not a nicotine addict

Laminated Menu

Never seen this before...
                              I hope the laminated menu is limited only to flights where physical menus are not given, and not SQ's attempt to 'test market' with the plan to get rid of physical menus altogether! Did the crew show you the options in advance before they arrived at your row like how JL and NH does it?
                              Yes my first time seeing it too. At least on this flight, some FA's showed the menu card pro-actively, others continued to ask verbally. Of course being my usual thick-skinned self, I requested to see the card and asked the nice FA to hold it still while I snapped a photo...

Comment

A view of 9V-SVN from the tarmac of the Noi Bai VIP complex that day, from our PM's FB page...

Comment

Working...
                                X