Star Aliance Award stopovers rule: INT-INT in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Aliance Award stopovers rule: INT-INT in the USA

I have been trying to issue a ticket SIN-SFO-PTY-SCL with a 4h20m layover in the USA. The ticket is not able to price and I have spoken with 3-4 agents. All of them said that the system is not allowing layover of >4 hours in the USA. One of them even insisted that Panama is in the USA.

Is this rule true really what they said? Any recent experiences?

Some time back (2009-2010), I never had any issues with 24 h connections such as SIn-LaX-Mex etc.

I know there is a 4 hour rule but my impression Is that this is for purely domestic itinerary or to Canada, but not in my case.

It's actually very risky to have anything less than 4 hours in the USA considering everybody has to enter immigration customs etc to make any connection even INT-INT

Yes it's true on the 4h transit time limit. I've been trying to fit the island hopper flight into a redemption ticket but it's close to impossible as nothing gets into HNL within a 4 hour timeframe before 0725 and booking the flights separately would cost a bomb. Plus considering terminal changes etc in US airports...I wouldn't risk it. Tough luck!

Nevertheless, once your sector pair doesn't involve a US station (i.e. SFO-JFK-LHR-CDG - the LHR-CDG sector) you're out of the limitations of the rule and you can have a 24h transit. Doesn't matter that your ticket includes a US station.

Comment

Global Entry (if eligible) is great when arriving in the US. Clearing customs was a breeze including baggage (dedicated queues).

In addition, TSA-Precheck is also great for departing.
      Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

Working...
      X