TPR - Flight display boards removed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPR - Flight display boards removed!

I was in TPR last night and went to check status 237 to MEL - lo and behold the departure board mounted on wall was removed last Thur Oct 13 - so there is absolutely zero visual indication of flt deps / gates / delays / gate changes etc - you now must go seek out SQ staff member on duty to ascertain any info.

SQ Lounge staff adamant removal was not an SQ initiative rather Changi Airport Group who have decreed dep board no longer warranted in TPR and would not be maintained so they removed it. SQ lease this space and in no way own it - clearly little control over it also - this is madness in the extreme.

Dep boards still exist at entry to SKL F and J Lounges but not TPR - go figure - I will certainly be sending off an expression of my utter disatisfaction in the strongest terms with this action to feedback@changiairport.com - I respectfully request as many as possible please do the same - it is lunacy.

You can now get your suit pressed in TPR but you cannot find out your flt dep time / gate etc without physically seeking out a SQ staff member who are not always manning desk at entrance.

Did you miss your flight?

Comment

Those in TPR should not be so worried... wouldn't the staff come round inviting you to board?

I know they do in TG F Lounge in BKK..... they keep track of all guest in the lounge and will come to you when its time to board...
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by Cruiser Elite View Post
        I was in TPR last night and went to check status 237 to MEL - lo and behold the departure board mounted on wall was removed last Thur Oct 13 - so there is absolutely zero visual indication of flt deps / gates / delays / gate changes etc - you now must go seek out SQ staff member on duty to ascertain any info.

SQ Lounge staff adamant removal was not an SQ initiative rather Changi Airport Group who have decreed dep board no longer warranted in TPR and would not be maintained so they removed it. SQ lease this space and in no way own it - clearly little control over it also - this is madness in the extreme.

Dep boards still exist at entry to SKL F and J Lounges but not TPR - go figure - I will certainly be sending off an expression of my utter disatisfaction in the strongest terms with this action to feedback@changiairport.com - I respectfully request as many as possible please do the same - it is lunacy.

You can now get your suit pressed in TPR but you cannot find out your flt dep time / gate etc without physically seeking out a SQ staff member who are not always manning desk at entrance.
        I agree, that is silly and a bizarre thing to do. I am not buying that Changi have told SQ what they are allowed to have on the wall in their flagship lounge either. I know SQ can't get those horrible grills at eye level externally at TPR as it it 'their property', which is a shame as getting rid of those would make the lounge much more pleasant and airy with nice views of the outside world.

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
        Those in TPR should not be so worried... wouldn't the staff come round inviting you to board?

I know they do in TG F Lounge in BKK..... they keep track of all guest in the lounge and will come to you when its time to board...
        While the will sometimes 'remind' you that is it 'Gate B8/9 or 10' like SQ328 usually is* when getting close to departure time it's not policy in TPR like it is in the TG F lounge at BKK.

*I wonder if we will keep getting stuck up there in T1 on the new nonstops to MAN...

Comment

I was bemused to note the flight boards are still missing from TPR and you do have to wonder if this moronic decision is permanent.

When I checked in last week my gate was still unknown and while the White Ladies in there are pretty good at keeping track of where you are going, especially when it's a quiet like it is prior to SQ52, they shouldn't have to try and remember to come around and remind you when the screen was there to do that. And with how often they want to remind you about getting to the gate on time at Changi this is a truly baffling decision.

Comment

Separated this into a thread of it's own to save it getting lost in the main one.

I have to say the way SQ have or are handling this is farcical. First of all I was told the same as Cruiser Elite, that Changi (the airport itself) had removed the screens, which never made any sense from the off. The second and third times I was in there the reply was it was 'a management decision'. However, having filled in a complaint form on the original visit I finally got an official reply a few weeks ago and this is some of it:

The monitors were removed because we wanted our lounge staff to provide a more personalised service to our TPR passengers. Lounge staff in TPR approach passengers personally when flight is boarding or if there is a gate change or delay unlike other sections of the lounge where passengers have to find a screen to check on flight details.

In the recent upgrading exercise, we felt that the screen can be removed as our lounge staff are communicating the flight information personally to passengers.

We have briefed our staff to be vigilant and proactive if they see passengers roaming around where the screens used to be.
            OK, that's pretty clear but you really do have to ask why they were told to tell us lies about it initially ?!. If they are doing this new personalised service, and they clearly are from my recent experience, why not just tell us this instead of telling outright lies that 'Changi have taken them down'

On the subject itself, I remain bemused by the decision and think its wrong. It's all well and good saying they will remember where everyone in there is flying, and that's been easy last few visits when it's been dead. But that's a tricky one to keep up when it's full during the large early and late banks of departures each day. The closest screens now are back in the corridor just after the SKL J lounge, which is quite a trek from TPR and means you either leave your belongings there and walk there and back or pack everything up while you walk there and back.

I think the fact they initially blatantly lied bout the reason they had gone shows some people involved in this are not convinced by it either...

Comment

Why can't they have both the screens and the personal service?

Comment

I really don't see the issue with this. It's easy to keep updated via any number of apps. There are a lot of things they could do to improve TPR which I would prioritise over this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                  I really don't see the issue with this. It's easy to keep updated via any number of apps. There are a lot of things they could do to improve TPR which I would prioritise over this.
                  Not everyone has a smartphone etc. My dad is one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                    Not everyone has a smartphone etc. My dad is one of them.
                    I'm going to take a wild guess that people who are using TPR will have access to a smartphone. Does your dad frequent it often?

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      Separated this into a thread of it's own to save it getting lost in the main one.

I have to say the way SQ have or are handling this is farcical. First of all I was told the same as Cruiser Elite, that Changi (the airport itself) had removed the screens, which never made any sense from the off. The second and third times I was in there the reply was it was 'a management decision'. However, having filled in a complaint form on the original visit I finally got an official reply a few weeks ago and this is some of it:

OK, that's pretty clear but you really do have to ask why they were told to tell us lies about it initially ?!. If they are doing this new personalised service, and they clearly are from my recent experience, why not just tell us this instead of telling outright lies that 'Changi have taken them down'

On the subject itself, I remain bemused by the decision and think its wrong. It's all well and good saying they will remember where everyone in there is flying, and that's been easy last few visits when it's been dead. But that's a tricky one to keep up when it's full during the large early and late banks of departures each day. The closest screens now are back in the corridor just after the SKL J lounge, which is quite a trek from TPR and means you either leave your belongings there and walk there and back or pack everything up while you walk there and back.

I think the fact they initially blatantly lied bout the reason they had gone shows some people involved in this are not convinced by it either...
                      IIRC, OZ and LH offer this service…AND they have boards in their F lounges!
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Lufthansa has a nice feature and displays only the flights where passengers are in the lounge - in this day and age SQ should be okay to have a monitor with up to date information.

Comment

I could be wrong but these current screens are probably "rented" from Changi Airport which consolidates all the flight info from all 3 terminals. Being their lounge, SQ could custom-build their own SQ flights only screen. However, I'm not sure if the cost of building (as well as maintaining the system) it for a few screens in their lounges is worth their while.

Comment

Working...
                          X