Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andaz Liverpool Street, London

Introduction

I rarely go to the East End when I'm in London.

This time I just wanted to try Andaz.

It is located at the corner of Liverpool Street & Bishopsgate.

In the same block as Liverpool Street Station.

Being near the CBD it is more expensive during the week.

At the weekend it's actually cheaper than Churchill

The Hotel public areas

The front of the hotel on Liverpool Street blocked by white van.

Bishopsgate is at the end of the road, where the white building is.

Lobby view of the entrance to the hotel.

View of the lobby from the revolving door.

Note the circular air well in the ceiling extending to the roof.

Lifts to rooms at the far end of lobby.

To the right of the entrance is the reception.

I found checking in awkward because there's no front desk in the conventional sense.

I think you're supposed to be able to identify the hotel staff ( I had problems )
    and stand beside him at the table ( left of the 2 standing men ) to register.

The double swing doors behind the grey column leads to a darkened room where...

... directions to the hotel restaurants & gym are projected on the floor!

View of the lobby from the lifts..

The lifts at the guest room floor.

At the far end is an atrium bar which gets very noisy when busy.

I don't know what it's like in the guest rooms overlooking it.

Swing doors prevent the noise traveling down the corridors..

The air well looking down to the lobby..

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 27 October 2010, 09:36 AM.

My Room

I'm where the red dot is. Overlooks Bishopsgate but windows double glazed so street noise is reduced though not eliminated

Liverpool Street ( and entrance to hotel ) runs along top of floor plan.

Room as you enter. The chair is stylish & comfortable

Watched the Japanese Grand Prix on it!

Nice bed. Also softer than in US & Asian Hyatts.

Bathroom. Separate shower & tub. But shower not as good as Churchill.
    • Small shower stall
    • Low pressure
    • Set temperature fluctuates

I like the fusion of modern & retro ( the bathroom & these light switches ) decor.

Andaz also boasts of being green with a aircraft style vacuum-powered toilet!

One of the attractions of Andaz is complimentary minibar..

nuts ---------chocolate coated coffee beans ----- cookies

sparkling water ---- fruit juices ----- sparkling water

Got Welcome Gift too..

Last edited by 9V-SIA; 27 October 2010, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the report, 9V-SIA.
      Would you mind sharing what room type was this? The room seems quite spacious.
      I would love to try this Andaz out someday.

Comment

Mmmm ... the welcome gift certainly looks tasty!

For a nice (inexpensive) Japanese lunch near the Andaz, I'd recommend the branch of ASTA less than a minute's walk from the hotel's entrance (inside an arcade). There are a few tables outside the shop but most of the business is takeaway. It's the most authentic Japanese food I've found in that area (having worked around there for almost 15 years now).

Alternatively, if you fancy sitting down and don't mind a 10-minute walk, there's the other branch of ASTA (near Aldgate East station) which is a large Japanese canteen (choose and pay at the desk, sit down at a free table and a waitress brings you your food when ready). The staff seem to be all Japanese and they get a lot of Japanese customers from the companies in the area. The food available includes bento boxes (Ł7), daily specials (e.g. a bowl of grilled eel and rice), various soup noodle dishes such as mabo etc. It's only open for lunch. Highly recommended (I've been far too many times to count).

Comment

Refrigerated nuts?

Welcome gift - what are in the bottles? Dips? Looks good!

The city is dead quiet over the weekends. I would not worry too much about street noise for a weekend Fri-Sun morning stay.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
            Welcome gift - what are in the bottles? Dips? Looks good!
            You can read it from the card in the picture!

Comment

Cannot read! Need a magnifying glass for that. I can make out olives and tomatoes. What else does it say?

I had initially thought the card was a welcome note from the hotel.

Comment

Cannot read! Need a magnifying glass for that. I can make out olives and tomatoes. What else does it say?
                You need glasses I think... It says very clearly to me at least:

Home made Hummous,
                Olives and Tomato Crostini

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                  Thanks for the report, 9V-SIA.
                  Would you mind sharing what room type was this? The room seems quite spacious.
                  I would love to try this Andaz out someday.
                  The cheapest room I could find, which was Andaz King.

Must be the best room in the category. Room was bigger than I expected..

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  Mmmm ... the welcome gift certainly looks tasty!
                  It's the photographer!!! Not that tasty in reality!

The restaurants in Andaz look interesting. Ever tried?

For a nice (inexpensive) Japanese lunch near the Andaz, I'd recommend the branch of ASTA less than a minute's walk from the hotel's entrance (inside an arcade). There are a few tables outside the shop but most of the business is takeaway. It's the most authentic Japanese food I've found in that area (having worked around there for almost 15 years now).
                  I'll certainly give it a try next time I stay there.

Refrigerated nuts?
                  The chocolate covered coffee beans did me in.

Couldn't sleep the whole night!

The city is dead quiet over the weekends. I would not worry too much about street noise for a weekend Fri-Sun morning stay.
                  Apparently vibrant night life around Brick Lane but yes, quite dead around Liverpool Street Station.

Conclusions

Whenever I go to London, I stay stuck to the West End.

But I've now recce'd the East End and it's worth exploring.

Andaz is a good hotel for doing that.. ( I prefer to walk on holiday )

Spitalfields Market.. East End's Convent Garden.

But why doesn't the market open on Saturdays? Only Sundays.

Head past the spire to ...

... Brick Lane!!! First time here. I'm in heaven because I discovered curries the way they used to be in Westbourne Grove. Really very good.

Got to talking to the restaurant owner. Apparently most Indian restaurants in London are opened by Bangladeshis. And Brick Lane is their kampong.

Had Bhuna Prawn & Bhindi curry. Both excellent. They didn't have my favourite dessert - ras malai - on the menu so boss sent his waiter out to buy for me! And it was a less sweet version he decided to let me try. Very good.

As close as I've ever been to "The Gherkin"

The walking map provided by the hotel shows that Tower of London & HMS Belfast are also nearby.. so there are things to do nearby for a tourist.

Comment

Great pics! And the hotel is looking much nicer than when DFP did a small review of it a few years ago. BTW, where is that thing??? Ran a Google Search and couldn't find it so I think it's buried in a TR.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

The lobby is much cooler looking than I remember! It now looks more "Andaz" than "Park Hyatt-lite."

I think there's heaps to do in the East End! Lots of really nice bars and restaurants in the Hoxton/Shoreditch area. Not fantastic for shopping though.
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 21 October 2010, 01:08 PM.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                        It's the photographer!!! Not that tasty in reality!

The restaurants in Andaz look interesting. Ever tried?
                        Hmmm, yes, your food photos (e.g. FUK and TYO) have always been an inspiration for me to go out and eat in those places!

I've only tried the restaurants there in their former (Great Eastern hotel) incarnations but none of them were anything to get excited about.

Spitalfields Market.. East End's Convent Garden.

But why doesn't the market open on Saturdays? Only Sundays.
                        More interesting than Spitalfields (all indoors) is Columbia Road Flower Market near Brick Lane. You have hundreds (?) of stalls all set out along the roads.

On Sunday the street is transformed into oasis of foliage and flowers. Everything from bedding plants to 10 foot banana trees are up for grabs. The air is intense with the scent of flowers and the chant of the barrow boys “Everthin' a fiver”. A lot of the flower sellers grow their own plants or import flowers from around the world.

We are one of the few streets in the country composed of sixty independent shops. Small art galleries sit next to cup cake shops, vintage clothes stores, English and Italian delis, garden and antique shops.
                        ... Brick Lane!!! First time here. I'm in heaven because I discovered curries the way they used to be in Westbourne Grove. Really very good.

Got to talking to the restaurant owner. Apparently most Indian restaurants in London are opened by Bangladeshis. And Brick Lane is their kampong.
                        Hence why the area is also known as Banglatown!

As far as I'm concerned, Brick Lane is not only famous for curries but also the 24-hour bagel shop (the real one and not the imitation next door) and their very popular hot salt beef and mustard bagel.

Comment

Thanks HUGE AL. Last trip for my LX3. Future trips will be LX5..

KeithMEL & jhm, thank you for your contributions.

Will certainly follow your advice on my next stay..

Comment

Working...
                          X