Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVA Air Hello Kitty A330-300 Trip Report 2014

EVA Air Hello Kitty A330-300 Trip Report 2014

For the next two trip reports, I wasn’t prepared to write about these two relatively well-known airlines, but since I was fortunate enough to fly on some rather empty J flights, I might as well share my experiences and photos.

EVA Air has really tried very hard to improve its service, ever since it has entered Star Alliance. Its well-received Royal Laurel Class on its Boeing 777-300ERs has been widely praised by various bloggers and flyers here. Most of us are also familiar with its fleet of Hello Kitty Airbus A330-300s. EVA Air has bought three of these largest A330-300s to fly these highly popular destinations to the Mainland China and Japan, and they were all painted in various Hello Kitty schemes, to accompany its two smaller Hello Kitty A330-200s. People are really happy to see these Hello Kitty planes and EVA Air has scored a major branding opportunity here. No matter how long this Hello Kitty program has been on going, people are still snapping pictures and putting them in the social media world. Economy cabin is always full, and I like how BR keeps on refreshing the design on its menus, amenities, and items related to Hello Kitty flights. This animated cat with no mouth keeps everyone excited about a vacation, and makes a routine Taiwan to Japan flight a bit different and unique.

Here are the flights I took:
    July 20, 2014
    BR 190 Taipei Sung Shan to Tokyo Haneda Lv1600 Arr1955 Airbus A330-300X B-16332 “Hello Kitty Loves Apple”

July 22, 2014
    BR 105 Fukuoka to Taipei Taoyuan Lv1220 Arr1340 Airbus A330-300X B-16331 “Hello Kitty with Magic Stars”

Check-in:
    Sorry no photos here, as I was not initially planning to write about these flights.
    I was really impressed with the new international terminal of Sung Shan Airport, and they did a pretty good job in refurbishing it. It was still a bit crowded compared to other Taiwan airports, but given the constrained space of a typical downtown airport, it is acceptable. The check-in counters were very busy but priority passengers were well taken care of. EVA Air full staffed their check-in counters, so there was little wait for either business or economy passengers. Every agent was friendly and every request was granted. That is what service should be!

Planes rotation:
    If you look at my actual itinerary, the planes used were a bit unusual. B-16331 “Hello Kitty with Magic Stars” and B-16333 “Hello Kitty Around the World” are two A330-300s based in Taipei Sung Shan Airport and used on the Haneda and Shanghai Hongqiao flights, while B-16332 “Hello Kitty Loves Apple” is based in Taipei Taoyuan Airport flying to Fukuoka in the morning, and flying to Seoul Incheon in the later afternoon/evening hours. But lately I noticed that EVA Air had started to rotate this plane, as I presumed that maintenance work is mostly done in Taoyuan. I am happy to fly two different Hello Kitty jets anyway. I have already flown both A330-200s – Happy Music and Speed Puff last year. Now I am just missing two Hello Kitty jets on my flight log - B-16333 “Hello Kitty Around the World” and B-16703 “Sanrio Family Hand in Hand,” the long haul Boeing 777-300ER.

Shot of the planes involved on this flight:
    B-16331 “Hello Kitty with Magic Stars”
    These two pictures were actually shot at Sung Shan Airport… B-16331 was heading out to Shanghai Hongqiao this afternoon, before flying to Taoyuan for repositioning later that evening.

B-16332 “Hello Kitty Loves Apple” – busy plane and it had already flown one roundtrip between TSA and HND in the morning. Just arrived from Haneda – even a few minutes early…

Plane-spotting at Sung Shan Airport
    Japan Airlines Boeing 767-300ER JA654J

ANA Star Alliance Boeing 767-300ER JA614A

Fukuoka is another single-runway airport, and its international terminal is located on the other side of the airport. I flew to Fukuoka before on domestic flights, so it was my first time visiting the international terminal. Other than insufficient A/C, which was typical in Asia now, it was a nice small terminal. I did not have time to visit any of the lounges, and given my previous experiences at these second tier Japanese airports, I don’t think I miss out much by not visiting Lounge Fukuoka. Some interesting planes are spotted:

HL8293 – one of Asiana’s newest delivered A330-300 (not the X variant too)… the J seats are the same used by SQ’s A330-300s, and BR A330-300s…

China Eastern Shanghai Expo’s A320 B-6639

Boarding:
    Unfortunately (well fortunately for some) none of these three airports feature a Hello Kitty themed gate like Taoyuan Airport. There used to be a stamp service and EVA X Hello Kitty Passport service, but it has been unfortunately scrapped.

I also notice that EVA Air has tried to do the fifteen minutes boarding like Japanese airlines and it actually sortta working, but there were still delays in both flights due to weather and single runway operation happening now at Taoyuan airport as R/W5R/23L is now being repaved. Delays at Taoyuan have been really bad lately, and the typhoon and rainy season don’t help much. Be prepared if you are flying in and out of Taoyuan this summer.

For BR 190, boarding began at 3:49pm, and business class passengers were welcomed first.
    First shot of the B-16332 cabin – Hello Kitty is not that overwhelming here…

My seat 6A

Hello Kitty pillow – new design for the summer season of 2014

Pre-takeoff beverage was then offered by the crew – champagne was on the pre-takeoff beverage list, unless some other Asian airlines these days! BR, CX & SQ are the only Asian airlines that offer champagne as pre-takeoff beverage.

Hello Kitty napkin

However EVA Air does not offer any hot towel service on regional flights, and they only offer these packaged “refreshing towels”. This is an improvement from previous version – moist towelette, but at least they are real towels.

For BR 105, boarding was a bit rushed, as the inbound was five minutes behind schedule. It has a scheduled 60 minutes turn.

Gate 53

Comment

B-16331 arriving from TPE

Here at gate 53

Boarding began at 12:10pm and the ANA staffs have already spotted all these priority passengers, and I was mong the first to board the plane. I got a few close up of B-16331, as I got into the jetway.

Since there was only one jetbridge at Fukuoka, I got to take a few pictures of the economy cabin:

Definitely the best seat in the Y cabin

My seat this segment – 8K

Featured painting on “Hello Kitty With Magic Stars” – there is a different one for each Hello Kitty jet.

Cabin shot:

Comment

Familiar pre-takeoff beverage & packaged refreshing towel

Takeoff:
        For BR 190, door was closed at 4:03pm, and we pushed back three minutes later.

Taipei Sung Shan Airport international terminal

We took off from R/W10 at 4:21pm. It was a beautiful day here in Taipei, and taking off from Sung Shan was definitely different from Taoyuan.

Comment

Flying time was a short two hours and forty-seven minutes this afternoon, and we cruised at 39,000feet for a while before climbing to 41,000feet. We flew along the coast of Japan and over water during the whole flight.

Door was closed slightly late at Fukuoka for BR 105. We pushed back at 12:30pm and the international terminal was pretty quiet.

Domestic terminal:

J-Air EMB-170 taking off

We took off from R/W16 at 12:48pm. Some shots after takeoff:

Flying time was an hour and fifty-nine minutes this afternoon, and our plane headed south towards Kumamoto and Kagoshima, before climbing to 38,000feet, and then later to 40,000feet.

In-flight Service:
          For both flights, the meal service began shortly we leveled at our cruising attitude, and there was a beverage service before dinner. However there was not any type of packaged nuts or mixed nuts service.

Menu

Wine List
          Champagne
          Champagne Collet Rose

French Red Wine
          Chateau Villa Bel Air 2010

Spanish Red Wine
          Monteabellon 14 Meses en Barrica 2010

German White Wine
          Moenchhof Riesling 2012

Spanish White Wine
          Palacio de Bornos Verdejo, Fermentado en Barrica 2011

Fortified Wine
          Burdon Dry Fine Sherry
          Taylor’s LBV Port

June to August 2014
          EVA Air Premium Laurel Class

EVA Air (BR) Flight 190
          Taipei Songshan to Tokyo Haneda

Japanese Style
          Since this was a longer flight, the Japanese meal was served in two courses – the first course was starters and assorted small dishes. I love those Hello Kitty design incorporated to the Japanese meal sets.

Comment

Zensai
            Braised Smelt Fish
            Colorful Fish Mousse Roulade
            Beef Rolled with Okra
            Crispy Fried Shrimp Coated with Colorful Pearl Rice

Mukozuke
            Fine Noodles

Kobachi
            Teriyaki Eel and Pickled Cucumber with Shrimp Roe

Poached Baby Octopus with Cod Fish Roe

Nimono
            Simmered Shrimp and Scallop Mousse Cabbage Roll with Crab Meat

Dainomono – Main course, which was served as a second course, with rice, soup, fruit, pickles, and one side dish

Sukiyaki Chicken

Comment

Steamed Rice with Green Soya beans

Owan

Kounomono

Fruit

Hello Kitty Dental Floss & Toothpick

Green Tea Served with Yoku Moku Cigare (Rolled butter cookies)

Western Style
              Hors D’oeuvre
              Pomelo Flavored Prawn and Scallop with Salmon Roes

Main Course
              (June)
              Pan Fried Cod Fillet in Herb Cream Sauce
              Served with Fettuccine with Bechamel Sauce
              (July)
              Pan Fried Beef Fillet in Madeira Sauce
              Roasted Chunky Red Skin Potato
              (August)
              Roasted Herb Peppered Lemon Spring Chicken
              Served with Broccoli Cheese Souffle
              Spicy Chili sauce is available on request for serving with meal.

Fruit
              Coffee Tea Served with Yoku Moku Cigare (Rolled Butter cookies)

Chinese Style
              Din Tai Fung
              Traditional Delicatessens
              Relish Chicken Soup
              Juicy Pork Dumpling
              Oven Baked Pastry with Sesame Paste Filling
              Chinese Tea

The dessert was a bit on the weak side, but given that it was a three hours flight, the food I received was very good. I love how you can reserve your meal in advance on EVA Air website. Despite that BR has cut back on the selection of meals on these regional flights, it is still a nice feature.

Here is the return menu:
              The flight was obviously double catered at Taipei, and given its shorter duration, the meal was a bit simplified. The Japanese meal was all served in one course. The Japanese meal was identical to my flight from TSA to HND two days earlier, but at least the entrée was different. Unlike the Haneda flights, the entrée remained the same from June to August. I guess I would have selected another option if I knew about the double catering. Anyway, the Japanese meals feature the most Hello Kitty components.

EVA Air (BR) Flight 105
              Fukuoka to Taipei Taoyuan

Japanese Style
              Zensai
              Braised Smelt Fish
              Colorful Fish Mousse Roulade
              Beef Rolled with Okra
              Crispy Fried Shrimp Coated with Colorful Pearl Rice

Mukozuke
              Fine Noodles

Comment

Kobachi
                Smoked Salmon Slice with Prune Jelly

Nimono
                Simmered Shrimp and Scallop Mousse Cabbage Roll
                Bonito Flavored Turnip Cup with Crab Meat

Dainomono
                Beef Sukiyaki and Teriyaki Chicken Thigh

Steamed Rice with Green Soya beans

Owan

Kounomono

Green Tea Served with Yoku Moku Cigare (Rolled butter cookies)

Western Style
                Hors D’oeuvre
                Saffron Flavored Squid and Marinated Shrimp
                Mozzarella Cheese and Tomato with Basil Pepper Balsamic Vinaigrette

Main Course
                Pan Fried Garoupa Fillet with Saffron Cream Sauce
                Buttered Mixed Vegetables
                Penne Pasta
                Spicy Chili sauce is available on request for serving with meal.

Coffee Tea Served with Yoku Moku Cigare (Rolled Butter cookies)

Chinese Style
                Din Tai Fung
                Traditional Delicatessens
                Stewed Beef Shank With Noodle Soup
                Steamed Mashed Taro Bun
                Chinese Tea

Seats:
                EVA Air actually uses a different type of regional business class seats for its A330-300s, which sort of catches me off guard. The business class seats on the A330-200s are rather poor, especially in its sleeping position. However since I flew it on those short TPE to HKG flights, it really did not bother me at all. Anyway back to the A330-300s, BR uses the same seats as SQ on its A330-300s, as well as Virgin Australia’s A330-200s. These models are quite popular among A330 users. There were power outlets along with more storage rooms if you are not on the bulkhead seats.

Detail of seat features:

Literature pocket – I am sure you notice those Hello Kitty-themed safety card

PTV and drawers

Comment

Drawers

EVA Air uses the second drawer for headsets.

Headset console

Individual reading light and divider

Seat Control hidden in the side panel

Tray Table

Power outlet

Beverage holder and small items storage

Relax position

Comment

Full flat position

Relax position on Bulkhead seat

Full flat position for bulkhead seat

Comment

More cabin shots

Toilet
                      This is the most interesting part of the plane – toilet paper featuring Hello Kitty design

Hello Kitty Paper Cup

Hello Kitty amenities

In-flight amenities:
                      Hello Kitty Playing card – available upon request

Slippers are automatically offered on the longer flight from Taipei Sung Shan to Tokyo Haneda, but you must request them on the shorter Fukuoka to Taipei flights. Yet I can understand only offering slippers on the shorter flight from Taipei to Hong Kong or Shanghai, but from Taipei to Fukuoka/Seoul is scheduled to be more than two hours. It is not too premium-like for passengers to request these items. But for future passengers, slippers are always available on China Airlines and EVA Airways, even on the shorter cross-strait flights. Just ask for a pair and the F/As are more than happy to get you a pair.

Flight Attendant Service:
                      EVA Air F/As are traditionally known to be a bit more reserved and not as good as China Airlines. I still agree to this comment, but BR F/As definitely are trying a bit harder now. They are mostly friendly and polite, and the leading F/A was patrolling the cabin quite frequently on the return flight from FUK to TPE. The service was actually comparable; if not better than some of my CX regional and long-haul flights in J this year. I am planning to fly its long haul flights in fall and that will give me an idea if BR has stepped up its game.

Candies are offered prior to arrival on all EVA Air business class flights, and here is the full selection:

Comment

Arrival:
                        Weather in Tokyo was not great, as it was raining, and there were some passing thunderstorms. We landed on R/W34L at 8:08pm local time, and the sky was flashing with thunder left and right, but the rain was not too heavy. We had to wait in the taxiway for a while due to the thunderstorm, but at least we were in the ground. We parked at Gate 143 at 8:25pm. Haneda international terminal had recently expanded to accommodate the new additional day time international flights, but there was definitely a lot more walking than before.

For BR 105, there was a typhoon approaching Taiwan, but our flight arrived prior to its arrival. It was cloudy, but everything was okay. There was not much circling this afternoon.

Approaching Taiwan

We landed at Taoyuan’s R/W5L at 1:47pm. Taipei is an hour behind Japan.

We parked at gate C8 eight minutes later and these two flights are definitely fun to be in. I am definitely looking forward to my Hello Kitty long haul flight in October and I just hope that there is no last minute aircraft change. I have been tracking B-16703, which can be used on other non-schedule Hello Kitty flights. EVA Air offers a decent premium product on these regional flights, and you can tell that it is trying very hard to accomplish this goal. There are still few things that bother me – you recollect and reuse these menus, but at least you don’t have to fight to keep them. I know a few airlines recycle menus, but unless you are using those leather bound menus, it makes no sense. I also think slippers should be offered on the Fukuoka to Taipei flight, without my request. J fares are not really cheap on these TW to Japan flights. However I think EVA Air really offers good quality meals, and even catching up to the high standard of China Airlines. These Taiwanese airlines are experts when it comes to preparing Chinese and Asian food. I still recommend BR passengers to choose their Chinese meals and use their pre-order service online. I hope you enjoy these four trip reports!

Carfield

Comment

Now the Hello Kitty pillows and playing cards comes in 1 design only. Used to be many colours for the pillows and different design for each Hello Kitty Jet for the playing cards. No more incentive to fly the different Hello Kitty Jets.

Because B-16311 is not flying the TPE-CTS route in July, hence there is many Hello Kitty aircraft swap. Can go flightradar24 see:

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/br160/

Anyway, I took the Hello Kitty Jet affected by aircraft scheduling before. Only the plane (normal A330-200), safety cards and toiletries (those 4 bottles) in the toilet are not Hello Kitty. Will attempt to take the real Hello Kitty Jet by flying out of Taipei Songshan. It's always the flights out of Taoyuan that are affected.
                          Last edited by vsepr; 26 July 2014, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X