SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by qantas_flyer View Post
    9V-SVB in the air as SQ8871 (SIN - JHB). Getting ready to leave the fleet perhaps?
    Those are training flights.
    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
      Those are training flights.
      Thanks for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by qantas_flyer View Post
        9V-SVB in the air as SQ8871 (SIN - JHB). Getting ready to leave the fleet perhaps?
        The general consensus is that we expect SVM and SVN to go before SVB as they have not had their interiors refreshed like the oldest three have.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          The general consensus is that we expect SVM and SVN to go before SVB as they have not had their interiors refreshed like the oldest three have.
          I’m still interested in discussing why they chose to upgrade SVB/C/E instead of the “newer” ones.
          It does suggest that in terms of cycles those frames are newer. And possibly SVB & SVC may have flown significantly less cycles during their time with Royal Brunei. Not so sure about SVE though but I recall SVE being out of service for quite a number of months years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
            I’m still interested in discussing why they chose to upgrade SVB/C/E instead of the “newer” ones.
            It does suggest that in terms of cycles those frames are newer. And possibly SVB & SVC may have flown significantly less cycles during their time with Royal Brunei. Not so sure about SVE though but I recall SVE being out of service for quite a number of months years ago.
            It was a very unusual decision on the face of it, indeed. SVB & SVC spent less time with BI than the other four that were leased though- exactly 2 years each, whereas the others spent almost 4 years each. (Interestingly, all four of them are back in the sky, as I'll detail below).

The only guess I ever had at a reason was that SQ thought maybe the older the 772 was, the less likely they were to find a buyer, but if that was true at the time of decision, it's not true now. One really can't imagine there was ever a plan to refit most of the SV* set in sequence as they had a big order of long haul A359s about to arrive. It seemed to be a quick plan to retain them on some of their current routes for longer so that A359s could be redirected to places like SFO & BNE as the market necessitated.

Current status of former SV-series SQ 772s as at 10MAY19:
            SVA- Boeing Capital, leased to P6
            SVD- Boeing Capital, leased to LA
            SVF- Boeing Capital, leased to LA
            SVG- (owner?), flying with NZ
            SVH- Pembroke, leased to NN
            SVI- Boeing Capital, stored
            SVJ- Boeing Capital, stored
            SVK- IACM, leased to N4
            SVL- Boeing Capital, returned by NZ on 29APR19, stored
            SVO- GMT, leased to N4
            (Source: planespotters.net)

The three which aren't currently flying have not been stored longer from today than a few months or even days, so it seems there is a market for old 772s after all.

Comment

• so how many 772 is still with SQ? Are they all in new Y. I was in 9V-SVC 2 Friday ago and it was new Y
              visit my blog

Comment

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
                so how many 772 is still with SQ? Are they all in new Y. I was in 9V-SVC 2 Friday ago and it was new Y
                2006 Y & IFE: SVB, SVC, SVE, SQM, SQN, SRM
                Old: SVM, SVN, SQL, SRO, SRP, SRQ

Comment

• Update on 9V-SRP.

She's to delease from the SQ fleet and join Nokscoot as HS-XBF.

The plan is for a 16/17 June fly off to DMK for painting and deregistration as a 9V aircraft.

As for SRQ, she will be registered as HS-XBG. Time line still not certain.

Comment

• Is Nokscoot still expanding? I seem to recall reading that Nok Air was in financial trouble.

Maybe Scoot plans to take over the entire operation if Nok Air goes under?
                    an infrastructure geek

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                      2006 Y & IFE: SVB, SVC, SVE, SQM, SQN, SRM
                      Old: SVM, SVN, SQL, SRO, SRP, SRQ
                      OMG still got 6 old one... SRO is the notorious one right?

When they will completely off?
                      visit my blog

Comment

Notorious for what?

We'll have a better idea in a week when they make the briefing.

Comment

If by 'notorious one' you meant the one that caught on fire, that would be 9V-SQK, written off long ago. (It had the newer 2006Y seats installed.)

I read somewhere that SQ plans to have its fleet outfitted with lie flat seats in Business Class by 2023, which means that the complete retirement of 772/773/A330 would only be done by then...

https://blueswandaily.com/corporate-...ights-by-2023/

Comment

I was on SRO last week and there was nothing notorious about it. On shorter flights I find these "classic" 777s to be rather comfortable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooter001 View Post
                              Update on 9V-SRP.

She's to delease from the SQ fleet and join Nokscoot as HS-XBF.

The plan is for a 16/17 June fly off to DMK for painting and deregistration as a 9V aircraft.

As for SRQ, she will be registered as HS-XBG. Time line still not certain.
                              If this is true then I think it’s getting quite clear now...
                              SR series 772s going to nokscoot
                              SQ series 772s retired to the desert

Which is why the newest 2x SQx 772s have the makeover (suggesting SQL first to retire)
                              Whereas the ‘newest’ 2x SRX 772s going to NokScoot to begin a new life while the oldest will stay on with SQ for awhile longer, therefore the makeover for SRM.
                              Perhapsn SRO was part of the plan for nokscoot but there was a reduction in operating requirement so it’s fate now likely sits in the desert?

SVx 772s have remaining value, so the newer ones were not refitted and sold off. The older ones refitted and to be used to end of lifespan.

Comment

• Any idea whether any of the 773 (SYF/SYL) or 772 (SQL/SRO) is going for a refit to 2006Y from hand-me down of SWI/SWT?

Comment

Working...
                                X