No announcement yet.

SIA brand set for major overhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think its S$10k to EU? I recently booked a J tix to ZRH, booking class: standard for SIN - ZRH and lite from ZRH - SIN and it cost me S$6496.

SQ timing suits me too. I fly over night, land in the morning, get my stuff done in ZRH and out the next day on the 11.45 am flight.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
      Where is the value in SQ charging ~S$10k for a J ticket to EU when TK, TG and LO are ~S$6k or lower on the same day when checking all at the same time and VN is ~S$3k or lower?

Going direct, avoiding an hour or two of stopover, is not worth $4-7k.

I look for value and still do take SQ to HKG on their LITE fare which, though more expensive than LLC, is still value for the flexible options, baggage etc.

On earlier sentiments...….the website is still driving me nuts. That bl@@dy spinny thing makes my head spin - we'll take you there soon.
      I am booked on multiple J round ticket trips to LHR, for September, Nov, Feb and June, and they all cost around $6,100 to $6,800. $10k for round trip ticket to LHR, yes, possible, if you are booking for tomorrow's flight. Which then raises a bunch of other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
        Inconsequential until someone decided to extend the meeting date because the agreement have still not been made yet, and then they realised they can't really change the date like that and have to forfeit the inflexible ticket to get a new one (worst if the meeting is extended a few more times, and you need to change ticket a few more times).

For my company, if they write-off the forfeited ticket, there will be a lot of explaining to do...

And by the way, I thought the company should have established a contract with airlines or travel agencies to provide discounts on flexible tickets?
        Well, it's not my company and I don't know what their policy is. All I know is they (a major bank) put people on LCCs - if only to return to Singapore after the deal is done... unless my friend lied to me

My company does fly people out on LCCs too (but I don't have last minute deals to clinch). In fact I'm working out whether I should go with CX or TR for later this month.

In short, companies come in all shapes and sizes, and SQ does well to realize that the days of sacred corporate tie ups and YBE economy class purchases no matter what are shifting, if not already. In fairness, I think their stance of awarding at least 50% miles for all fare buckets is moving in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
          I am booked on multiple J round ticket trips to LHR, for September, Nov, Feb and June, and they all cost around $6,100 to $6,800. $10k for round trip ticket to LHR, yes, possible, if you are booking for tomorrow's flight. Which then raises a bunch of other questions.

When SQ is at that level, the others are also cheaper so the differences still exist, just on a smaller level and easier to justify.

Been checking the last few weeks for end of the month to Zurich and it's a mid-9. LOT's new B788 service is mid-5s so, personally, a $4k difference is difficult to justify. TG is a similar price to LO on this sector but flying their utterly crap B747 so, if you can bag a 1st Class seat during reservation, worth it (TG sell only Y and J fares since they also use B773).

It was exactly the same case when I booked SIN-AMS back in July.

The thing that makes is worse and annoying is that our colleagues out of Germany can often get J return tickets for less than Eur2k on LH and SQ etc.

Comment

Just back from Mel to SIN on Emirates J class and their fare was much cheaper than SQ and on their A380, the J seating is the same as SQ as in 1-2-1 arrangement.

Comment

When SQ is at that level, the others are also cheaper so the differences still exist, just on a smaller level and easier to justify.

Been checking the last few weeks for end of the month to Zurich and it's a mid-9. LOT's new B788 service is mid-5s so, personally, a $4k difference is difficult to justify. TG is a similar price to LO on this sector but flying their utterly crap B747 so, if you can bag a 1st Class seat during reservation, worth it (TG sell only Y and J fares since they also use B773).

It was exactly the same case when I booked SIN-AMS back in July.

The thing that makes is worse and annoying is that our colleagues out of Germany can often get J return tickets for less than Eur2k on LH and SQ etc.
              I think it really depends on the dates. I am also booked to ZRH at the beginning of Oct. Paid S$6.5k. For comparison, I had checked TG and was S$800 cheaper. LX was S$1k cheaper for a timing which did not suit me (8 hours wait after my meetings to catch the next flight out).

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                Just back from Mel to SIN on Emirates J class and their fare was much cheaper than SQ and on their A380, the J seating is the same as SQ as in 1-2-1 arrangement.
                SQ doesn't have the benefit of oil-backed support.

Comment

SQ doesn't have the benefit of oil-backed support.
                  Do not think its just because of this. As have taken J class on ANA to Tokyo and its J class is 1-2-1 on its 773 and fares are still lower than SQ. Ditto for Qantas to Sydney. But SQ does charges high fares ex-SIN than other airlines usually.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                    One of the reasons the millenials prefer flying LCCs over SQ is the price. With apps to sieve out the lowest fare available, most tech savvy youngsters rarely fly SQ due to its high fares ex-SIN. SQ has always marketed itself as a premium airline and I fear changing their branding to attract this segment would do them no good.
                    Actually it is also that SIA charges much higher fares ex-SIN departures. As my cousin just got her flight from KUL to TYO for only a mere rm1,600 ehich translates to S$533 which is impossible to get such fares from SIN. Similiarly of ne buys SQ tickets and travel from JKT or even HKG is cheaper than the fares offered ex-SIN. Thats one of the reason why locals are disadvantaged from flyginh with SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                      Actually it is also that SIA charges much higher fares ex-SIN departures. As my cousin just got her flight from KUL to TYO for only a mere rm1,600 ehich translates to S$533 which is impossible to get such fares from SIN. Similiarly of ne buys SQ tickets and travel from JKT or even HKG is cheaper than the fares offered ex-SIN. Thats one of the reason why locals are disadvantaged from flyginh with SQ.
                      But it’s a known fact home based airlines typically charge higher EX their home port. Check CX EX HKG or QF EX AUS. So this should not be a surprise and expected.

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                        But it’s a known fact home based airlines typically charge higher EX their home port. Check CX EX HKG or QF EX AUS. So this should not be a surprise and expected.

I see EU airlines offering less out of their home bases to SIN than they do from here to Europe. My colleague out of Shanghai sees the same and has actually taken to buying open return tickets from EU, which is still cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by PPSFlyer View Post
                          I don't think its S$10k to EU? I recently booked a J tix to ZRH, booking class: standard for SIN - ZRH and lite from ZRH - SIN and it cost me S$6496.
                          Seems to be J/D-class ticket.
                          Z-class can easy be at around 10K SGD to EU.

Comment

Not everyone has the opportunity to book that well in advance. Iam often left with just a couple of days to book before having cutomer meetings. Not seldom I have no time at all and Iam forced to fly on the same day I booked the ticket. Good for SQ and bad for my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                              Not everyone has the opportunity to book that well in advance. Iam often left with just a couple of days to book before having cutomer meetings. Not seldom I have no time at all and Iam forced to fly on the same day I booked the ticket. Good for SQ and bad for my employer.
                              If your employer is willing to stump up $10k for Europe round trip tickets, then it's pretty clear that the eventual margins that could accrue from such trips for the business are way beyond $10k. Seriously, if it were really "bad for your employer" these trips would have been axed long ago.

Not as if this is an uncommon occurrence in the travel industry. Exact same scenario plays out for hotels.

Comment

On earlier sentiments...….the website is still driving me nuts
                                Yeah the website goes crazy now after maintenance last night.

I have been trying to book Bkk -hnd -Bkk on pe with stopover in sin.

After showing mix m+p fares they website said “your chosen cabin class is not avail on one or more of your selected flight...” then throw me to flights selection again.... crazy....

Why they give me m+p fares instead of y+p?
                                visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                                X