No announcement yet.

Singapore Airlines Flight Delays & Disruptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There has been some consistent little delays on SQ1 from SFO to HKG recently. On time departure (usually even earlier), but arrived a little late than ETA (usually within 30 mins). Must be the heavy headwind flying eastbound now.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ002 View Post
      There has been some consistent little delays on SQ1 from SFO to HKG recently. On time departure (usually even earlier), but arrived a little late than ETA (usually within 30 mins). Must be the heavy headwind flying eastbound now.
      That's correct. Usually during the Northern Winter schedule, there are strong headwinds and jetstreams across the Pacific, which can make the flight arrive late into HKG (15-30 minutes). That's why the route is different. It goes through Alaska, Russia, and downwards to China (Harbin, Changha) before reaching to HKG. That was the route my flight took when I flew SQ1 back in December 2016. However in the Summer, it travels through the Pacific touching Japan (with turbulence sometimes), Taiwan and then HKG.

I'm not sure whether jetstreams in terms of weather play a role here but til now, most cases the flight has arrived early or on time, but now it's consistently arriving late

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
        That's correct. Usually during the Northern Winter schedule, there are strong headwinds and jetstreams across the Pacific, which can make the flight arrive late into HKG (15-30 minutes). That's why the route is different. It goes through Alaska, Russia, and downwards to China (Harbin, Changha) before reaching to HKG. That was the route my flight took when I flew SQ1 back in December 2016. However in the Summer, it travels through the Pacific touching Japan (with turbulence sometimes), Taiwan and then HKG.

I'm not sure whether jetstreams in terms of weather play a role here but til now, most cases the flight has arrived early or on time, but now it's consistently arriving late
        Thank you for the explanation. I remember traveling 15+ hours on SQ1 during winter times. Does not feel good comparing to the summer schedule.

Similarly, SQ31 (SFO-SIN) actually often took the route directly across the pacific instead of adopting the SQ1's winter route. Is this route not as effected as SQ1?

Comment

• Another delay to report: SQ318 is delayed almost 2 hours. Supposed to initially use SWA off 495 but is using SWF right off SQ212. Also, SQ836 will be operated by the 77W off SQ238 (SWI) instead of the intended flight from SQ212.

Comment

• My info in this post was complete rubbish, as such i'm removing it. Apologies. I don't think there is any break in logic for the thread though lol
            Last edited by loldude333; 25 February 2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ002 View Post
              Thank you for the explanation. I remember traveling 15+ hours on SQ1 during winter times. Does not feel good comparing to the summer schedule.

Similarly, SQ31 (SFO-SIN) actually often took the route directly across the pacific instead of adopting the SQ1's winter route. Is this route not as effected as SQ1?
              No problem. I have taken SQ1 a few times in the Winter (2003, 2010, 2016) and my plane has arrived on time usuaily despite the route it took. In 2016 our route took us thru jetstreams due to rain arriving in my area and the Northwest the next day given the cold temperatures we had before I left.

After April or May, we will have Pacific tailwinds rather than headwinds from SFO to HKG.

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
              If i'm not wrong, the winds tend to be stronger nearer the boundaries between landmasses and seas because the inherent temperature differences cause pressure differences which create winds. Planes usually try to travel as close to land as possible because in a worst case scenario, a land crash has higher survival chances than a sea crash. This is of course dependent on other factors, such as the plane's range, the fuel tolerances, winds, increase in reliability of aircraft and systems and hardware (eg. engines) etc. SQ31 probably takes the long overwater stretch right thru the Pacific because SIN-SFO is right on the edge of the fuel tolerances of a stock A359 (same as UA1/2 using the 787-9). SQ1/2 on the other hand, travel much closer to the landmasses (Asian & American subcontinent) because the planes have the range due to the stopover, plus i believe that there isn't a huge difference in the safe distance (nearer landmasses) compared to the shortest possible distance (further away from landmasses). As a result, SQ1/2 might be affected more by the winds than SQ31/32.

However, the effect of the wind is still felt by all flights across the Pacific, its just the scale of the winds. My hypothesis is dependent on the supposition that winds are stronger nearer landmasses. If i'm wrong on this count (or any other), please feel free to correct me! Hope this kinda sorta helps!
              That seems possible thank you for the interesting explanation loldude333. My guess had to do with temperature and air masses. Last month and parts of December, we had unseasonably warm temperatures in the West including the Pacific Northwest, so it had seemed to generate stronger tailwinds over the Pacific (possibly why SQ1 departed almost an hour late back then) but now we have colder temps which seem to cause that too.

Comment

• Tail wind on a SFO HKG sector? Seriously?

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                After April or May, we will have Pacific tailwinds rather than headwinds from SFO to HKG.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunnyday View Post
                  Tail wind on a SFO HKG sector? Seriously?
                  Again, what I said is usually during the Winter time, going westbound is subject to headwinds. After April or May, there will be less headwinds. Closer to Summer is when the west has more tailwinds, hence why TransPac flights usually arrive an hour or so earlier than the published schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                    Again, what I said is usually during the Winter time, going westbound is subject to headwinds. After April or May, there will be less headwinds. Closer to Summer is when the west has more tailwinds, hence why TransPac flights usually arrive an hour or so earlier than the published schedule.
                    Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                    What did you say again? Could you please spare a thought for the rest of us and stop this?

Comment

• Originally posted by tth_ben View Post
                      What did you say again? Could you please spare a thought for the rest of us and stop this?
                      Lots of luck with that request...

I believe the tailwinds being referred to here are part of a new initiative currently being developed to counteract turbulence whereby large numbers of trained dogs are located at the rear of the cargo hold. The dogs have undergone training to wag their tails in a synchronised circular manner that produces oscillatory stability for the aircraft. The pilot project (excuse the pun!) is known as the Canine Rotational Aeronautics Program. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it.

Comment

• SQ957|26FEB (CGK-SIN) scheduled to be operated by the newest A359, 9V-SMU seems to have AOGed in Jakarta.

STA: 1400
                        PETA: 2130

UPDATE: SQ957|26FEB is now scheduled to arrive in SIN at 1200 tomorrow. (27FEB)
                        Last edited by 9V-SPL; 26 February 2018, 09:39 PM.
                        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• 9V-SWP was on a flight (probably a test flight, SIN - SIN, SQ8877) after not being in service for around ten days, does anyone know why?
                          Singapore Airlines fan in Sweden.

Comment

• 9V-SMU still in Jakarta?

Comment

• Originally posted by EKCH View Post
                              9V-SMU still in Jakarta?
                              9V-SMU flew back to SIN as SQ957D yesterday (27FEB18) and landed in SIN at 1331 LT. That is just 15 minutes before SQ957|27FEB landed.
                              Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• https://www.channel8news.sg/news8/la...y/3970116.html

Wonder what is going to happen to those crew who caused the delay...

Comment

Working...
                                X