Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upstairs, Downstairs! First Trip on SIA's New A380 to Sydney: SQ221/232 SIN-SYD-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I returned to 1F, Eileen and Ms Phoong were already double-teaming to set up my bed…

While they were there, I also took the opportunity to quiz them on some other features of the suite…

Was it possible to sit up on the bed? Yes it was…

And how about companion dining? What if I wanted to have dinner with Mrs yflyer?

That was possible too! A padded stool magically appeared…

“Your wife can sit in the armchair…you get the stool…” they grinned…

“Of course!” I replied.
    Last edited by yflyer; 12 February 2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

The bed was made…and the end result looked very inviting…

I lay down…very comfortable…a full length bed with soft white sheets…

Watching television in bed was equally feasible…

A few sips of Johnny Walker Blue Label, and I was ready for an afternoon nap…

Comment

I fell into a deep slumber, and somewhere over Surabaya, I found myself awake, and feeling quite refreshed…

There is really something to be said about having a separate seat and bed. A seat is a seat, and a bed is a bed. Trying to combine both functions is bound to involve compromises…on this occasion, no compromises were made.

Comment

After that mammoth feast for lunch, all I could manage for the 2nd meal service was a bowl of chicken and mushroom congee…

This was delicious, and somehow very comforting, after the excesses of earlier in the day…

With just over an hour left to run on this flight, I asked for a final glass of Macallan Lumina…

…which went perfectly with the delicious onboard chocolate truffles…

Comment

And then it was time to prepare for landing…

Descent and final approach to Runway 02L…

Quite a long queue of aircraft waiting to depart on 02C…

T4 and the ongoing construction of the new terminal further in the distance…

On the ground...

…and into a lively airport terminal with Chinese Lunar New Year festivities in full swing…

Comment

What an amazing flight in Suites.

As far as travel experiences were concerned, on this flight SQ’s new Suites delivered on practically all counts.

I found SQ’s new Suites to be supremely comfortable. This is a very well thought out design and service concept, and the progress from earlier iterations of SQ’s First Class, and even the earlier A380 Suites are very apparent.

Beyond the hard product, the credit for delivering this outstanding experience must go to the wonderful cabin crew. The whole team, from IFM Mr Seet, to CSS Ms Phoong, LSS Eileen and LS Philip were exceptional…warm, friendly and absolutely professional and efficient…and spontaneous and good humoured too – well you would have to be when faced with a pax like yours truly, snapping photos of every detail in the suite, and of everything placed in front of him.

I will save further reflections and analysis for a later edit/post, but I would say right now that this trip, and especially SYD-SIN in Suites, was the most memorable ever. I was wowed.

All that is left now is to await the next opportunity to fly new Suites, ideally to somewhere far off, like LHR, and the next time it must be with Mrs yflyer.

Thanks for reading!
              Last edited by yflyer; 12 February 2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                Well, that's the thing about the catch of the day, right? Real lobsters come in different sizes! I would be very worried if each lobster was a giant clone

Point noted!

Thanks, zilchster! I will look up that route the next time I am there!

Hmmm...They all seemed about the same size...but I didn't spend a lot of time in the other Suites so I am am not sure. That said, they are all HUGE.

As far as I could tell, the extra TV was used for the safety video and other miscellanous info...not sure if it mirrors the main screen.
                From the pics you post, Suites in row 1 and 3 have 2 windows and a gap almost the size of a window but the centre suite in row 2 have exactly 2 windows. 1F is also tapered in at the side near the extra TV.

1F:
                http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...1&postcount=43

2F:
                http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...4&postcount=46
                Last edited by vsepr; 12 February 2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonitan View Post
                  Great TR! Your pictures and narration truly convey the flight experience to the reader! Can’t believe we are so close yet so far again,I was on SQ221 on 08/02 in 1A (which arrives on 09/2 to perform your flight back) and your suite 1F was unoccupied and I took the opportunity to shoot away on my phone. The lavatory on the F side aisle is an truly amazing experience. And now in Sydney,I find myself already dining at the restaurants that you recommended! Thumbs up for the great effort for writing to share!
                  Wow! Yes, just missed you, Tonitan! Have a great time in Sydney and thanks for reading!

Comment

Wow. I swear i was on board the aircraft with you.......heh. Superb TR and i can imagine your excitement. Your review is also more complimentary than several others i've read, but the level of detail you give and clarifications about which bits are your personal opinion really helped me to understand why your assessment was as such. Now, you need to compare it to Etihad Apartments so you can decide which Suite is king!

Comment

Excellent TR as always

"That was possible too! A padded stool magically appeared…"

And some people thought I was joking when I posted this -

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=234

K

Comment

Amazing TR of SQ's new A380 Y class, yflyer. Loved the mood lighting and details you outlined. Can't believe even the new OnAir Wifi is volume based. Should have been like the current Panasonic Wifi. But aside from that, hope to one day try these seats even if it is on regional aircraft as well one day

Looking forward to more TRs as always yflyer

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer
                          Dom Perignon 2006...
                          Vintage 2004 Krug...
                          Cos D'Estournel 2006...
                          Henschke Keyneton Euphonium Red Wine from Barossa Valley...
                          shot of vodka with your caviar...
                          Port Phillip Estate Chardonnay 2013...
                          Paringa Estate Pinot Noir...
                          a glass of 20 year Tawny Port...
                          A few sips of Johnny Walker Blue Label...
                          a final glass of Macallan Lumina…
                          Did you drink the plane dry?

Comment

Great first up Suites experience yflyer.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Comment

Originally posted by vsepr View Post
                              From the pics you post, Suites in row 1 and 3 have 2 windows and a gap almost the size of a window but the centre suite in row 2 have exactly 2 windows. 1F is also tapered in at the side near the extra TV]
                              I see what you mean, vsepr!

Originally posted by loldude333 View Post
                              Wow. I swear i was on board the aircraft with you.......heh. Superb TR and i can imagine your excitement. Your review is also more complimentary than several others i've read, but the level of detail you give and clarifications about which bits are your personal opinion really helped me to understand why your assessment was as such. Now, you need to compare it to Etihad Apartments so you can decide which Suite is king!
                              Thanks for reading, loldude333! I have not yet tried Etihad...although reading SQueeze's wonderful TR's have made me very tempted to try them at some point!

Originally posted by KFly View Post
                              Excellent TR as always

"That was possible too! A padded stool magically appeared…"

And some people thought I was joking when I posted this -

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=234

K
                              Thanks, KFly!

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                              Amazing TR of SQ's new A380 Y class, yflyer. Loved the mood lighting and details you outlined. Can't believe even the new OnAir Wifi is volume based. Should have been like the current Panasonic Wifi. But aside from that, hope to one day try these seats even if it is on regional aircraft as well one day

Looking forward to more TRs as always yflyer
                              Thanks, SQfanatic!

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              Did you drink the plane dry?
                              Your list didn't include the drinks I had in the lounge before boarding!

Originally posted by SQ218 View Post
                              Great first up Suites experience yflyer.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
                              Thanks for reading, SQ218!

Comment

Wow, yflyer, this is a mind blowing TR. Such an in depth attention to detail.. It is really very much appreciated, keep up the awesome work.

Coming to the products, they do actually look much better in the real A380 cabin than the mock ups at the launch event.

Looking forward to your upcoming TRs.

Comment

Working...
                                X