Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just boarded 9V-SYH and the Business class cabin has been reupholstered to the dark brown leather. The first 773 to receive this treatment I believe. Shows 2 things - that the current Regional J is here to stay a while more and so are these aging 773s

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
      Just boarded 9V-SYH and the Business class cabin has been reupholstered to the dark brown leather. The first 773 to receive this treatment I believe. Shows 2 things - that the current Regional J is here to stay a while more and so are these aging 773s
      I think we need to see SYH fly to NRT before we have sufficient confirmation that the leather truly is dark brown...

Comment

• We're nearing the end of the fiscal year. According to announced plans, SRL and an A333 will exit by end March. SKE should be gone shortly thereafter.

We'll get more color on the fate of the remaining older aircraft during the results briefing in mid-May when they announce fleet plans for the next fiscal year.

I suspect most, if not all of them will stay on the next fiscal year - there will be pressure on the fleet as the A380s (and the 3 remaining B77Ws) get refurbished. There will be no new non-ULH A359 deliveries for the rest of the year. The B78J deliveries may be matched by more A333 lease expiries.
        Last edited by 259850; 9 February 2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
          We're nearing the end of the fiscal year. According to announced plans, SRL and an A333 will exit by end March. SKE should be gone shortly thereafter.

We'll get more color on the fate of the remaining older aircraft during the results briefing in mid-May when they announce fleet plans for the next fiscal year.

I suspect most, if not all of them will stay on the next fiscal year - there will be pressure on the fleet as the A380s (and the 3 remaining B77Ws) get refurbished. There will be no new non-ULH A359 deliveries for the rest of the year. The B78J deliveries may be matched by more A333 lease expiries.
          I would agree with your assessment. The only factor I can think of that could lead to more planes leaving would be the unknown impacts of ULH flights returning- are they extra flights that add capacity or will they cause other flights to be downgauged or removed.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            I would agree with your assessment. The only factor I can think of that could lead to more planes leaving would be the unknown impacts of ULH flights returning- are they extra flights that add capacity or will they cause other flights to be downgauged or removed.
            I think this is how it'll pan out when the ULR comes.

LAX
            ULR + A380 (379 seater) from JFK for a mere 21 seat increase (assuming the ULRs seat 170). I think the 471 seat A380 will show up later on.
            I'm pretty certain ICN-LAX will be dropped and they'll keep NRT-LAX

NYC
            ULR + 77W from LAX for 55 seat increase (again assuming 170 seat ULR)

SFO
            Hmmmm.... I really wonder if the ULR will show up on that route.
            If it does, perhaps ULR + A380 but where will it come from?

looking forward to what others think ...
            Last edited by 9V-JKL; 10 February 2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post

LAX
              ULR + A380 (379 seater) from JFK for a mere 21 seat increase (assuming the ULRs seat 170). I think the 471 seat A380 will show up later on.

NYC

SFO

Your suggestions for LAX and NYC look good. It is very unlikely LAX will have three flights and the ICN connection would be the logical one to go. I don't think SQ will let the fifth freedom right go though - I remember reading a long time ago they had to work really hard to get the right in the first place. Maybe used to launch another US route? Chicago? Maybe with a swap to a A350 (they will have capacity if SFO direct goes to an ULR).

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                Implies SVF is heading to the desert for scrap.
                They only paint the craft all white when it’s transferred to another owner or returned to lessor.

A lil sad seeing SVf go...feels just like yesterday seeing it come in on it’s delivery flight!
                I am not so sure it will end up scrapped. It was out of service for quite a while which suggests that it was going through maintenance (pure speculation on my part but seems likely). It seems unlikely that SQ would spend the money on heavy maintenance just to send the aircraft for scrap. Maybe storage but given the low values for a 777-200, that seems like a bad idea.

I did consider that they were stripping it of seats / IFE / parts to reuse but they would not need that from SVF as they have all the old 300ER seats they are swapping to the 200s. They could not take mechanical parts off it as they would not be able to fly it.

Anyway, makes me think SVF has another fate. The last aircraft I remember where this happened (and with the all blue tail) ended up in pete air before it became HS-XBA for NokScoot. Now we know SVF is not headed for NokScoot given the comments at the last SQ analyst briefing. The only remaining alternative is Vistara (they were news reports of them recruiting 777 pilots last year).

I know this is all speculation on my part but heavy maintenance on an aircraft to be scrapped just does not make sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
                  I am not so sure it will end up scrapped. It was out of service for quite a while which suggests that it was going through maintenance (pure speculation on my part but seems likely). It seems unlikely that SQ would spend the money on heavy maintenance just to send the aircraft for scrap. Maybe storage but given the low values for a 777-200, that seems like a bad idea.

I did consider that they were stripping it of seats / IFE / parts to reuse but they would not need that from SVF as they have all the old 300ER seats they are swapping to the 200s. They could not take mechanical parts off it as they would not be able to fly it.

Anyway, makes me think SVF has another fate. The last aircraft I remember where this happened (and with the all blue tail) ended up in pete air before it became HS-XBA for NokScoot. Now we know SVF is not headed for NokScoot given the comments at the last SQ analyst briefing. The only remaining alternative is Vistara (they were news reports of them recruiting 777 pilots last year).

I know this is all speculation on my part but heavy maintenance on an aircraft to be scrapped just does not make sense.
                  Storage also came to mind similar to SVA and SVD which sometimes do returns for maintenance and go back to ASP.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post

LAX

NYC

SFO

I'm not going to discuss anything on the ICN route, but again, SFO would be poised to still get the 359ULR because the payload is better, no weight restrictions, and it would do better in the headwinds for Winter. At this point, can't see the other SFO route with the A380. They could expand it thru another fifth freedom port with another 77WR.

On another thread, an article has mentioned SQ could possibly start LAX as early as September.

Comment

• Not sure when this happened, but I just noticed that SQ no longer touts its young fleet and average aircraft age on the main fleet page (http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg...ory/our-fleet/):

Explore the world with us, and experience a journey unlike any other on some of the most comfortable and spacious aircrafts in the world. Wherever your travels may take you with Singapore Airlines, you’ll be flying on one of the most modern aircraft and fuel-efficient fleets in the skies.

We invite you to step onboard and luxuriate in our warm and impeccable service, and discover a journey that’s every bit as delightful as the destination itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
                        Not sure when this happened, but I just noticed that SQ no longer touts its young fleet and average aircraft age on the main fleet page (http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sg...ory/our-fleet/):
                        The times I've stumbled on SQ's seat map, most of the time they never displayed the age of the aircraft(s)

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                          The times I've stumbled on SQ's seat map, most of the time they never displayed the age of the aircraft(s)
                          I referenced the main fleet page, not the individual aircraft pages where seat maps are found. The main fleet page used to state the average fleet age and the month that it was last updated. For example, using Wayback Machine, I found this on their main fleet page as it was on Jun 06, 2017:
                          Explore the world with us, and experience a journey unlike any other on some of the most comfortable and spacious aircrafts in the world. Today, our fleet of 106 aircraft is some of the youngest in the industry, with the average age standing at seven years and eight months.

Wherever your travels may take you with Singapore Airlines, you’ll be flying on one of the most modern aircraft and fuel-efficient fleets in the skies.

We invite you to step onboard and luxuriate in our warm and impeccable service, and discover a journey that’s every bit as delightful as the destination itself.

Updated as of 1 April 2017
                          And also as recently as Jan 06, 2018:
                          Explore the world with us, and experience a journey unlike any other on some of the most comfortable and spacious aircrafts in the world. Today, our fleet of 108 aircraft is some of the youngest in the industry, with the average age standing at seven years and eight months.

Wherever your travels may take you with Singapore Airlines, you’ll be flying on one of the most modern aircraft and fuel-efficient fleets in the skies.

Updated as of 1 December 2017
                          But then again, if you weren't aware of facts like the number of A350-900ULRs ordered by SQ, I wouldn't reasonably expect you to know that SQ used to list the average age of their fleet on their main fleet page.

Comment

• well one can still step onboard a 15 year old 772..........

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                              well one can still step onboard a 15 year old 772..........
                              Speaking of 772's, the last two Thursdays, PVG (828/831) were operated by a 773 but today it got a 772 (9V-SVJ). The shortage of 77WR seems to be the case warranting PVG and PEK to use older equipment. That's pretty bad treatment considering no F or even PEY on today's flight

The afternoon PVG (836/825) has gotten a 77WR pretty much most of the week but it won't be til Sunday it goes back to its daily ops.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                                How does an SQ "fanatic" who is constantly posting on this forum "stumble on" an SQ seat map?? How could their location be a surprise to you? Could your bewilderment while accessing the SQ website explain the amount of unresearched misinformation you post here??

Comment

Working...
                                X