The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    Imagine putting a TR together and trying to take pics of seats and cabins while boarding is in progress, or during the flight!
    Haha true that. I never fully got used to it. Not sure why. Even today I take my pictures surreptitiously. I just want to immerse in solitude in plane geek heaven. maybe that's why I'm not a trip report writer (though I have a stash of (photo) loot)

Comment

I believe so. I wonder why SQ and a few other airlines still bother with those 2-pin airline sockets.

This is indeed very annoying! Can I use my own 1-plug earphones though? Or do I need an adaptor?

Comment

• Hi all. Been following along with keen curiosity. Thank you to those that have provided pictures and information about the launch of the new cabin seating.

I have a question about the new J class. Specifically regarding the window seats (A and K), will the bulkhead row still be the pick? Am I right in assuming that there will be a similar style bench for your feet as per A350 bulkhead J, instead of the cubby in the non-bulkhead rows?

Comment

• Originally posted by happyflyer View Post
          This is indeed very annoying! Can I use my own 1-plug earphones though? Or do I need an adaptor?
          My guess is that you probably "could", but you'll likely end up with only monoaural sound (i.e. sound coming from one side of the earphones). I believe you'll still need an adapter to make full use of it...

Comment

• Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
            My guess is that you probably "could", but you'll likely end up with only monoaural sound (i.e. sound coming from one side of the earphones). I believe you'll still need an adapter to make full use of it...
            I had that problem on one of my legs last year. They're more or less similar to the JVC headphones I have that have noise cancelling buds (It did block out some noise when I did fly). My parents and I thought the "cheapo" headphones weren't too bad otherwise.

Comment

Hi happyflyer!

Orionmiz posted recently that the new SQ economy earbuds come together with a detachable adapter, that you can use with your own headphones, so this should resolve the issue as soon as these earbuds are rolled out fleetwide.

On the other hand, airline headphone adapters are fairly inexpensive and widely available (I've seen them between USD3 and USD12), so if you are a frequent flyer, I would recommend just buying an adapter and keeping it with you all the time.

Comment

Its easier with an adaptor. But it works also without adapter, just do not fully insert the plug. You got to play a bit with the right positioning, than it works in something what should be stereo sound.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                  Its easier with an adaptor. But it works also without adapter, just do not fully insert the plug. You got to play a bit with the right positioning, than it works in something what should be stereo sound.
                  Ah! Now that you mentioned that part, I can now recall that I did use my regular JVC headphones without an adapter; for me it works, but it only plays from one ear. Not the case with SQ cheapo buds. Audio quality wise because my headphones have a similar muff that can cancel out the noise, it is more or less the same as SQ's cheapo buds now that I think of it.

Comment

Hi happyflyer!

Orionmiz posted recently that the new SQ economy earbuds come together with a detachable adapter, that you can use with your own headphones, so this should resolve the issue as soon as these earbuds are rolled out fleetwide.

On the other hand, airline headphone adapters are fairly inexpensive and widely available (I've seen them between USD3 and USD12), so if you are a frequent flyer, I would recommend just buying an adapter and keeping it with you all the time.
                    This is how the SQ recent Y class earbud looks like.

https://flic.kr/p/GxoEKK

Comment

Hi happyflyer!

Thanks for the advice!

I honestly don't understand why they can't just make a one-pin plug instead then. Is it much more expensive?!

I understand that in the past part of the reason they did this is to prevent passengers from removing the headsets. However, now given that SQ doesn't even give out headsets in Y-class, why don't they revert it to the normal plugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by orionmiz View Post
                        This is how the SQ recent Y class earbud looks like.

https://flic.kr/p/GxoEKK
                        Just after I finally went and bought a couple of those adapters, now they're going to be complimentary!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                          Ah! Now that you mentioned that part, I can now recall that I did use my regular JVC headphones without an adapter; for me it works, but it only plays from one ear. Not the case with SQ cheapo buds. Audio quality wise because my headphones have a similar muff that can cancel out the noise, it is more or less the same as SQ's cheapo buds now that I think of it.
                          You just got to play a bit and not insert the plug fully. It works pretty fine with sound on both ears.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                            You just got to play a bit and not insert the plug fully. It works pretty fine with sound on both ears.
                            It does. Not the case with my regular JVC headphones which work for my computer and iPhone in both ears but 1 ear on the entertainment system. I don't think they were as bad as i imagined. No complaints from my dad on his 359 in Sep/Oct on the headphones.

Comment

Hi happyflyer!

Wow, really? I guess I should expect this next time I fly SQ which may be Summer or Fall next year. Like SQ228, I wonder if I had wasted money buying 3 of them when I never used them. That's pretty generous for anyone who wants to plug in their headphones into the entertainment system like my mother for instance.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                                Wow, really? I guess I should expect this next time I fly SQ which may be Summer or Fall next year. .
                                I can attest to this. The detachable adapters seem to be introduced sometime in the middle of their 70th anniversary campaign. Two years or so ago, they started introducing those disposable earbuds in Y in a white packet with music notes on it. Then sometime early this year/late last year (can't remember) there was a temporary step down to the same ear bugs in cheap (think really cheap) heat-sealed clear bags. And then they switched to a rather attractive SQ70 little resealable white bag with slightly smaller one-pin ear buds that now come with a 2 pin adaptor. What's going to happen in 2018, who knows..

Comment

Working...
                                X