The new SQ cabin classes - Discussion & speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    I just learnt from an acquaintance that the Y seats do have A/C sockets, just not in a very obvious location, in the lower portion of the armrest between the seats in front of you.

In fact, it was in an earlier picture all along…

I think that is a better position that the current.

Comment

• Any idea if the new J will be available on SIN-MEL next Jun18?

Or what other routes they will be plying other then SIN-SYD?

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
        I was asked by someone to reply to this quote of yours with this:"When you are onboard, ask for companion dining"
        Ah, looking forward to seeing that from one of the trip reports.

Comment

• Originally posted by rtan17 View Post
          Any idea if the new J will be available on SIN-MEL next Jun18?

Or what other routes they will be plying other then SIN-SYD?
          Other than SYD and LHR, there is no information or rumours going around yet.

I think it extremely unlikely (basically not a hope) that MEL will see a new or refitted A380 any time in 2018.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
            Other than SYD and LHR, there is no information or rumours going around yet.

I think it extremely unlikely (basically not a hope) that MEL will see a new or refitted A380 any time in 2018.
            I can confirm that MEL is not scheduled for the new A380 in 2018.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
              I think that is a better position that the current.
              Indeed. Not many people actually use this and I always found it a hassle to plug my devices in somewhere around the ankles. It's mentioned on the new A380 microsite that Ac power outlets are available too.

On another topic. I was slightly dismayed that the compartment under the Y TV cannot fit an iphone 6S or anything of that size

Comment

• Originally posted by EWR View Post
                Indeed. Not many people actually use this and I always found it a hassle to plug my devices in somewhere around the ankles. It's mentioned on the new A380 microsite that Ac power outlets are available too.

On another topic. I was slightly dismayed that the compartment under the Y TV cannot fit an iphone 6S or anything of that size
                can, it just has to be stored at an angle.

Comment

Actually that compartment is for spectacles, sunglasses.
                  The mobile phone pocket is in the seat pocket with the magazines.

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    Actually that compartment is for spectacles, sunglasses.
                    The mobile phone pocket is in the seat pocket with the magazines.
                    You are right. The pocket is still there. They do now try to advertise it as an iphone compartment though, according to this https://a380.singaporeair.com/en_UK/#economy-amenities

I don't know if an iPhone 6S would fit at an angle. I tried it hurriedly. It wouldn't fit, at least not with the TV still stowed (flat or flushed against seat in front). With the Singapore Girl standing around, it was rather embarrassing to be a total plane geek that day!

Comment

Right? I found that odd too myself when I flew the 77W(R) last year. The 2006 product had a plug your device around the armrest. More hassling was to make sure the plug did not fall down from the ankle part either.

Comment

• Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                        The current CX long haul Y seat, on their 77W, for example, is a conventional design (i.e. non fixed shell), and is pretty good, and does recline, but for a short while, they were rolling out fixed shell Y for long haul and it didn't go well, so much so that they replaced them and moved the fixed-shell seats to regional routes. The fixed shell seats have a sort of "recline" but only part of the seat moves forward, and leaves your neck at an awkward angle. More on that topic here.
                        Yeah I remember when I flew the 74A with the fixed shell Y class. It did not cause issues for me and my parents, but after that all flights I've been on never had that. Before I flew the 2013 cabin last year, I was a little puzzled myself that it would be that, but I might have misunderstood what some users meant. I did hear back then people got back pain from those.

In any case, it's great to hear that SQ's seats recline, have a footrest (longhaul) and comfortable.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                          Yeah I remember when I flew the 74A with the fixed shell Y class. It did not cause issues for me and my parents, but after that all flights I've been on never had that. Before I flew the 2013 cabin last year, I was a little puzzled myself that it would be that, but I might have misunderstood what some users meant. I did hear back then people got back pain from those.

In any case, it's great to hear that SQ's seats recline, have a footrest (longhaul) and comfortable.
                          i can attest they are very good despite the not-as-sturdy look. The 'six way' headrest really holds up well too. There's an additional 2 way adjustment in the little nedge on the lower horizontal length of the headrest, which you can twist upwards (or have it stay flat) so that it supports the bottom of your - for want of a better word - skull, where the neck and head join. I hope I make sense

Comment

• Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                            Right? I found that odd too myself when I flew the 77W(R) last year. The 2006 product had a plug your device around the armrest. More hassling was to make sure the plug did not fall down from the ankle part either.
                            Not to forget it takes a little thumping to get the damn plug into the socket. I wonder if the new design which is at a weird angle would fare any better. It could also create a tripping hazard for window seaters when they get out

Comment

Not to forget it takes a little thumping to get the damn plug into the socket. I wonder if the new design which is at a weird angle would fare any better. It could also create a tripping hazard for window seaters when they get out
                              I know, right. That was the annoyance I got when I was trying to charge my Sony camera at one point and my laptop. My worry was that it would fall and I'd have to go under my seat to find it. Especially when there's turbulence that's another matter. Thank God I can just use the USB for my iPhone with no issue. I would have to thump it with my foot to make sure it really charges when I decide to sleep especially. It's a struggle for all others

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
                                Was there any mention on the WiFi these new a380 and the soon to be updated planes will be getting?

The current a380 internet is kind of bad deal. Slow and expensive
                                Agree that the current data usage-based plans on A380s are pointless. The time-based plans on 77WN/77WR and I believe A350 as well are much more feasible.

Originally posted by 76er View Post
                                Is the 2 pin plug below the USB port for the headphones?
                                I believe so. I wonder why SQ and a few other airlines still bother with those 2-pin airline sockets.

Originally posted by EWR View Post
                                With the Singapore Girl standing around, it was rather embarrassing to be a total plane geek that day!
                                On the contrary, I found it to be a very conducive environment to be a plane geek! We were poking and prodding the products, and were positively encouraged to do so by the cabin crew and SQ staffers on hand! Imagine putting a TR together and trying to take pics of seats and cabins while boarding is in progress, or during the flight!

Comment

Working...
                                X