United Airlines SIN-NRT-SIN trip report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Airlines SIN-NRT-SIN trip report

The trip was to see Hokkaido in summer and to watch the SM Town Tokyo 2012 concert.

I am a SIA fanboy. I don’t mind paying the extra flying SIA. But not this time round. I wanted to switch my FFP to Aegean Airlines’ Miles and Bonus. After searching a bit, I decided on UA as it allowed me to accumulate 100% points on Miles and Bonus. ANA would allow me to accumulate 100% on Miles and Bonus but ANA only gives 70% mileage. After looking at my travel plans, I felt that UA would help me hit the 20,000 points earlier, so it is with this little apprehension that I booked with UA.

UA 0882
    SIN-NRT
    0710/1510
    Seat: 43G
    3 August 2012

Arrived at Changi Airport Terminal 3. Security was present at the check-in area. Check-in was pretty fast and without much hassle.

United Airlines boards its passengers through groups. I was in Group Six. Boarding was organised.

The aircraft was a reconfigured Boeing 777 (over 10 years old) with the new J class. You can check what aircraft registration you are flying via the UA Flight Status option and where the aircraft had come from.

The Economy seats were pretty alright. The seat pitch is 31 inches. Not the most roomy, but it was still alright for me. There were no footrests getting in the way, so I could extend the legs out. Bearable for a 7-hour long flight.

Seat width was ample. Maybe a little less than SQ economy, but not being someone of immense girth, I could tuck the pillow at one side and still had enough room for myself. The seatback was alright too, quite similar to SQ. At least it was padded, and wasn’t too thin like ANA or on CX economy. So it was not a back-breaking experience.

The headphones were placed in the seat pocket, so you can use them before take off. You can use the IFE after the safety video. The reconfigured Boeing 777s feature personal IFE with AVOD in every seat. The screen was smaller than SQ but it was fine. Resolution was fine a clear. It used a touchscreen interface which I felt wasn’t that responsive. The entertainment options were ample with more than enough films and programming to keep one entertained on the 7-hour flight.

I really enjoyed Channel Nine. You could listen to the conversation between the flightdeck and air traffic control which I tuned into from taxiing on the ground in Singapore all the way till take off. It is certainly a dream experience for any aviation enthusiast.

Breakfast was served after take off by the mostly Japanese/Asian crew members. What UA does is that they have one flight attendant man the drink cart while another serves the breakfast. This ensures that passengers get their food quickly. Service starts from the Economy plus cabin.

Breakfast consisted of two options: Singapore style carrot cake, or rather radish cake or eggs with sausages and potatoes. I went for the carrot cake option since I’ve eaten eggs and sausages for breakfast many a time on board my flights, so going for something local would seem nice. Well, actually carrot cake does consists of eggs.

I didn’t see the radish bits. Maybe I was a bit blind or so. Anyway it tasted quite nice, like what you would get at the hawker centre/coffee shops in Singapore. It had a few tiny pieces of shrimp. Meanwhile, I sneaked a peek at the other option, seems much more filling.

The breakfast also came with a fruit cup and sweet pastry. And that’s all. Of course the usual drinks were offered.

Breakfast wasn’t the most satisfying.

The flight attendants did come round the cabin with drink runs every now and then, but otherwise they were most in the galley. Basically, my impression of the flight crew is that they were fine and polite. They performed their service like what they were expected to do. They weren't grumpy or cold.

About one and a half hours before landing, the crew came round for a snack service. Drinks and sandwiches. Basically just two pieces of white bread cut into two halves with a slice of cheese, some lettuce leaves and a piece of chicken. Fortunately, they had extra sandwiches and came round the cabin for a second serving. Feeling hungry, I took another sandwich.

The flight landed on time and I was satisfied with my first international flight experience with UA.

UA 0881
    NRT – SIN
    1755/2355
    Seat: 43G
    10 August 2012

The experience on this flight was similar to UA 0882. Got the reconfigured 777.

The crew was mostly Asian with a few Caucasian/American-based crew members. There was some Chinese crew thrown in for the mix this time round. Cabin announcements were made in English, Japanese and Mandarin. So the IFE would be paused for quite a bit.

The English cabin announcements were informative, but I found them rather informal. It didn’t sound very scripted like SQ. While the information was appreciated, I feel that some weren’t necessary.

But I do appreciate that that the fasten seatbelts announcements were done promptly in one-liners/two words with a “Fasten Seatbelt”.

Meal service was dinner. Crew came round with a salty snack – pretzels bits and drinks. One crew distributed the snack while the other provided drink service.

Dinner was served. It was a choice of pasta with cheese and broccoli or chicken and rice. I took the latter. It was fine. I didn’t like the rice. The texture was weird. The meal wasn’t satisfying either. Few pieces of chicken, some strips of vegetables (bean sprouts, carrots, some leafy vegetable and another vegetable). The meal came with a salad consisting of just leaves and salad dressing. No salmon, ham, meats or whatever. There was a pre-packed bun and a small wrapped butterscotch brownie. The meal left me less than satisfied.

For the rest of the flight, the crew did come round with drinks and made one final round about one hour twenty minutes before landing. By then I started to feel a little hungry and puckish. Luckily I had brought my own food on board – a bun bought earlier that day.

I did have a brief conversation with one of the Asian flight attendants. And during the casual conversation she did utter the f*** word which pretty much shocked me. I mean, you’re at your job. Shouldn’t you watch your language a little?

That same crew also seemed pretty unhelpful to her colleague who was unsure with the meal choices that evening. She seemed irritated when the colleague kept asking her the meal choices.

Also another crew member had an unfortunate incident when a passenger hand luggage felt and hit her face before take off. Luckily she was not severely hurt.

My after thoughts of United Airlines

Will I fly United Airlines? Probably. If I happened to be on a reconfigured Boeing 777. The pitch may not be good, but at least there’s still the entertainment that makes up for it. Any other aircraft will require serious consideration on my part. Anything further than SIN-NRT, I would probably prefer to be on Economy Plus. Seat comfort is still acceptable.

That said, I found Channel Nine – being able to listen to air traffic control transmissions – a wonderful feature and I enjoyed it very much.

Entertainment options – enough to keep you occupied through the whole flight. Its content may not be as extensive as SQ or EK for the matter, but probably ample even for a flight to the US, factoring into consideration that one might take a nap. I don’t really like the touchscreen though as I don’t find it very responsive.

The headphones provided on UA 881 were rather faulty. I had to use my own.

Service from cabin crew is alright. They get the job done. I have to admit that they are not as well-groomed as our SQ girls and boys. I like it that one crew serves meals, and another does drinks. Makes meal service faster.

Now the bad.

Food.

I think the pictures speak for themselves. Catering is certainly not UA’s strongest point. And it would be advisable to take your own food on board. Portions are meager. And they don’t provide snacks like biscuits. When someone was hungry, the crew had no biscuits to offer but some leftover stuff from the meals or the other classes.

I’m not sure if they charge for alcohol though as I don’t drink alcohol so I wouldn’t be able to comment.

In conclusion, UA is an acceptable ride from SIN-NRT. But if you are expecting SQ standard like service or food, then I would say UA isn’t for you. And don't complain about SQ economy meals, UA is far lacking.

Hope you folks found this report useful. Feel free to comment or ask any questions.

Some other random cabin shots

Comment

Where are the pictures of SMTown Tokyo and particularly SNSD?
      This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Looks like UA upgraded the IFE since the last time i flew with them.

Comment

Well, I guess the food is considered "good" by US carriers standard given the length of flight
          My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
            Well, I guess the food is considered "good" by US carriers standard given the length of flight
            Food still doesnt look good though

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
              I've heard that since the merger, UA has adopted CO's menu...which was quite a bit better... Not that I would eat it.
              HUGE AL

Comment

I flew SFO-NRT on the refurbed 777-200 with UA late last year and indeed the IFE system is pretty good! They used to run on a loop system but this new one is AVOD. I had actually missed my earlier flight on a 747-400 so I was quite happy because I don't think the 747's have AVOD in economy yet.
                My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Thanks a lot for this post. Was deciding whether to go for this option to Tokyo, or go via Air China and save a few hundred $. The AVOD IFE swings the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                    Where are the pictures of SMTown Tokyo and particularly SNSD?
                    Haha, didn't take. I think cameras weren't allowed. Anyway I was too far away to take photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jn82 View Post
                      Thanks a lot for this post. Was deciding whether to go for this option to Tokyo, or go via Air China and save a few hundred $. The AVOD IFE swings the decision.

If you care about having IFE, then UA. But here's a warning, while most flights are the reconfigured 777s, sometimes, a non-reconfig 777 might pop in somewhere, but at least it has IFE.

Air China doesn't have IFE on the aircraft which they send to SIN.

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                        If you care about having IFE, then UA. But here's a warning, while most flights are the reconfigured 777s, sometimes, a non-reconfig 777 might pop in somewhere, but at least it has IFE.

Air China doesn't have IFE on the aircraft which they send to SIN.
                        Well, they do in J

Comment

Actually decided on SIN-PEK-HND via Air China in the end to save a bit of $ and marginally better timing in and departure out of Tokyo. Adds a few hours and a transit stop, but hopefully can just sleep it off. Hopefully no delays from SIN-PEK.

Personal trip so in econ unfortunately .

Comment

Enjoyable TR with good pics. Thanks for sharing.

I flew UA domestic 4x last year and came away impressed with the quality of the pilots ( two landings in zero visibilty ).

But preferred CO hardware because it had Direct TV

Comment

Hijacking my thread to inform you guys that according to Airlineroute.net, the 777 plane to be operated on the NRT-SIN flight will change to a CO 777 plane from Jan 2013, which means there will be no more first class.

http://airlineroute.net/2012/09/24/ua-nrtsin-jan13/

Comment

Working...
                              X