Graffiti on MRT train makes headlines on ST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deleted
    Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
      I would be very interested to see if the mrt company really would take additional security and then pass on a fare increase.

I don't think its fair that the ordinary person on the street should be made to pay increased transport fares just because of an isolated issue.
      Not sure where you got the information of extra security being passed to the consumer. Perhaps you could clarify and enlighten. Haven't read in the newspaper nor anywhere except here in SQTalk.

Comment

deleted
        Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to engage you as i'm not sure what your intentions are. But the transport companies have a reputation of increasing fares almost yearly with reasons that are unreasonable sometimes.

I hope your next response isn't going to sound like "picking on someone."
          I am only asking a simple question where is the source of information? Surely it will add to the quality of your postings.

Yes, we see increase almost yearly. Also noted that there was 4.5% reduction in fare back in 2009 downturn. What is level of increase that you have found to be unreasonable? (Gerald Ee, who is someone very well respected in the community who devoted huge amount of time and effort to help the less fortunates is the Chairman of the Public Transport Council that determines the yearly increase). How we been benchmarked against the cost of transportation say in other countries without subsided transportation? I think the fact will it give more balance. Perhaps you may be very well be right but more evidence please.

Not sure about the comments "picking on someone" meant. But you seems to be making plenty of serious or uncommon allegations as far as Temasek, the Singapore Government and even SQ cabin crew? And again you may be very well being right. Again some factual evidence will be useful, otherwise it will be more speculative in nature and could it be a case of picking on them too much?

Noted you have not commented on the severe punishment given to the expat in this case.
          Last edited by LionCity; 26 June 2010, 11:05 PM.

Comment

deleted
            Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Maybe you should ask how many people were either let off from their jobs or were given huge hefty pay reductions. And those reductions are not generally restored quickly after a recessionary period. I'm glad you realise transport costs have generally increased every year especially after privatisation of the smrt and the sbs bus companies. How do you think a local is going to feel when they are told your mrt ride/costs is going to increase with no equal increase in wages.

What you are talking about is figures of increases. what i'm talking about is reasons or potential reasons that the transport companies can use to tell locals that their everyday ride from "yishun to raffles place" is going to increase by 10% to 20% to not only make up for the reduction in 2009 but also increase in costs due to security concerns such as this graffiti incident. Its a potential "money" concern for many who wish to budget their next holiday etc...

This is unlike that Sq yq charge where if you don't like it, simply take another airline.
              At the moment your assumptions are still speculative and making forecasts on situations that have yet to happen. Perhaps go to www.ptc.gov.sg and read their annual report might help you obtain the facts.

Uruguay just scored against Korea. Hope you are relaxing and watching the interesting match. Life is too short to be suck in the negatives. Just enjoy yourself. Good night.

Comment

I would be very interested to see if the mrt company really would take additional security and then pass on a fare increase.

I don't think its fair that the ordinary person on the street should be made to pay increased transport fares just because of an isolated issue.
                In the 1st place. It may not be due to not enough facility of security equipment, but a lazy security officer!

Comment

trekkie for info, over here, fare prices on public transport - while operated by pte companies - are regulated, ie. each time a company wishes to up its fare, it has to make an application to the Public Transport Council.

while i'm not in the security business, i really dont imagine the costs involved in ramping up security in this instance is going to be exponentially high, to even warrant SMRT to need to raise its fare.

even shd SMRT make an application, i doubt it will be approved given that SMRT has to shoulder the responsibility of its own security.

in any case, there is popular belief - and here i must qualify this is totally unsubstantiated hearsay - that elections will be round the corner, and political considerations will very unlikely allow a fare increase to add to the gamut of existing issues.

Comment

deleted

Comment

I would love to find this parallel universe where nobody is allowed to increase fares, for anything, without it becoming a conspiracy. It must be quite a surreal place to live.

Comment

Deleted
                        Last edited by Megatop; 17 November 2011, 09:05 AM.

Comment

deleted

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            I would love to find this parallel universe where nobody is allowed to increase fares, for anything, without it becoming a conspiracy. It must be quite a surreal place to live.
                            I spoke to someone who worked full-time for a public bus company. He mentioned the transportation companies are very conscious of costs. Mentioned his pay haven't moved very much up in the past ten years. There should be some volunteers to help cap the fare increase.

Fare Revision:

2009 - 4.6% reduction in MRT and Bus Fare.
                            2008 - 0.7% increase in MRT and Bus Fare
                            2007 - 1.8% increase in Bus Fare. No increase in MRT fares
                            2006 - 1.7% increase in MRT and Bus Fare.
                            2005 - 2.5% increase in MRT and Bus Fare.

2003/2004 - No increase in fare application by transport companies.

Fuel cost and electrical cost have escalated due to higher cost of energy.

In the quality circles, there is such a thing as management by Fact. It is a useful tool particularly for business excellence model.

Comment

Originally posted by graffiscool View Post
                              Shame. I hope his appeal goes ok.
                              i can see you are not a fan of the sentence... maybe you should add a "ti" to your handle and make your screen name graffitiscool.
                              Last edited by taipeiflyer; 28 June 2010, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by taipeiflyer View Post
                                i can see you are not a fan of the sentence... maybe you should add a "ti" to your handle and make your screen name graffitiscool.
                                and his first post in this forum is in this thread. hmm.. coincidence?

Comment

Working...
                                X