Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lingua101 View Post
    Will this be a no brainer question?

Westin B2960 min 2 nights. 4points B2300.

Never stay in both hotel before. I was at Westin for dinner and looked into it from Sheraton, the building looks old.

4points should be newer building right.

So is it worth to spend extra b2100 (3x700) to stay at Westin over 4points?
    I think it's a no brainer, I wouldn't stay in either of them.

On a more serious note, I suppose it depends what you want. As you say the Westin is the older property, but it is next to the BTS and MRT. Having said that, the 4P is only minutes futher away anyway so not much benefit. 4P is newer, has much better pool area and nicer bars, especially the one on the roof. I've never been a fan of the Westin (I hate the dual lift system for a start something that also annoys about the St Regis) but know many who are.

The SGS is far better than both, but the prices have been continually going North over the last few months and you probably won't get it for anything like the rates you mention.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
    Westin now gets all my business after a dodgy stunt the 4P tried to play last Saturday. Til now they still haven't removed a redundant charge, on top of all that.

One of the 4P's managers is an idiot..

Oh dear, care to elaborate ?

Comment

• Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      I think it's a no brainer, I wouldn't stay in either of them.

On a more serious note, I suppose it depends what you want. As you say the Westin is the older property, but it is next to the BTS and MRT. Having said that, the 4P is only minutes futher away anyway so not much benefit. 4P is newer, has much better pool area and nicer bars, especially the one on the roof. I've never been a fan of the Westin (I hate the dual lift system for a start something that also annoys about the St Regis) but know many who are.

The SGS is far better than both, but the prices have been continually going North over the last few months and you probably won't get it for anything like the rates you mention.
      Thanks for the reply. Also for Kyo and Leo.

Yeah I also hate the dual lift system (i.e. reception is not on the ground floor). Also hate St Regis (stay there in Feb, using free night).

I like SGS but the price different is too much and this trip suppose to be a "budget" trip

Thinking to stay Aloft, but had stayed there 2 times. Ok hotel, just hate to walk to main soi and that soi tend to be very busy at the evening.

May be, I will choose 4points. With Songkran may not stay in the room a lot anyway. Also 4points is stone away from the place that I need to visit on Tue.

Originally posted by leo View Post
      Westin is a ho hum but connectivity with Asoke BTS is a gem.
      What is ho hum? Yeah the connectivity to BTS make it attractive. May be I can take the train to airport
      visit my blog

Comment

May be I can take the train to airport
        I wouldn't bother.

Comment

• As mentioned briefly in another BKK related thread, we loved the new So Bangkok (by Sofitel) on North Sathorn Rd. Super cool and could give some Ws a run for their money - just needs work on certain branding guidelines and their cocktail lists! Has a super sexy bar on the roof. Also an exceptionally convenient cab ride or stagger to various nefarious establishments on Silom Sois 2 and 4 if so inclined! We found it rather easy to cab or train to some of the major upscale malls, and although we've heard some horror stories, it was relatively quick to get to places in Sukumvhit. You get 2-4-1 drink vouchers and VIP access at Q Bar which is handy.

More in TR when I get home.

Caveat: It too suffers from the dual lift issue... doesn't worry me though.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 13 April 2012, 12:35 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

What is ho hum? Yeah the connectivity to BTS make it attractive. May be I can take the train to airport
            Ho Hum = boring, dull, routine...

Comment

I wouldn't bother.
              I have tried both the express one and the normal one.

If you travel light, it is ok to take the normal train especially if you are staying somewhere with easy access to BTS (Westin is that case).

I won't bother to go to Makassan as it can be a hassle. I tried it twice and both time the taxi driver did not know where it is (not sure purposely or what). Taxi fare ended up B100. Then you paid B150 for the train. and the city check in also crap..... so end up B250.

I will just take cab and go if I do not travel light
              visit my blog

Comment

• Why bother with the train at all in somewhere like Bangkok? Even the regular cabs are dirt cheap - they wouldn't be my choice of transportation (when an AOT limo or hotel car costs the same as a normal cab ride back home) after one too many surreal experiences with Bangkok cabs but it's got to be more convenient and perhaps marginally more comfortable than the train.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• Anyone had a go at Hansar Bangkok? Thinking of booking a urban suite for THB5000, which includes breakfast and minibar. Is it worth it?
                  I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

• I stayed there for a few days, in a room/suite that's 2 tiers above the cheapest. Nothing special about minibar, but breakfast was not bad. Room's pretty nice, and big, largely wood and metal kind of decor. More modern than the St Regis which is just across the road, but it's not much cheaper.

Comment

• Originally posted by LOWJHG View Post
                      Anyone had a go at Hansar Bangkok? Thinking of booking a urban suite for THB5000, which includes breakfast and minibar. Is it worth it?
                      You can get a room in some very good hotels in Bangkok for THB 5000.

Comment

yea, i was also thinking bout that, but its like behind FS and StR, and in Rajadamri, the other option was hyatt erawan club floor
                        I know when you airline bling, that could only mean one thing

Comment

Any recommendations within this price range? I snagged the Intercontinental last minute for THB 5700 and was pretty chuffed, was a pleasant stay too! Love the proximity to the nearby malls.

This thread has been so useful, thanks for all the contributions guys!

The Grand Hyatt's looking a bit old these days and as you mentioned and the rates at the SGS keep going up and up! Found the Westin at THB 4400 however I too don't like the dual lift system that's going on there.

Just booked myself in at the Four Points for THB 2900 along with a cheap set of flights on Scoot. This may well be my most affordable trip yet! Saw the Anantara for US$73 on Jetsetter however the rate isn't available for the dates I've selected.
                          Last edited by viraj735; 26 July 2012, 02:20 PM.
                          The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• The SGS on www.starpicks.com with 20% off is THB 4300 for just about every day going forward, THB5,061 including taxes...

Agreed, not cheap, good service though. At that rate I'd take a nice weekend at the Hilton instead (depends what you want out of your hotel of course). I've been switching all my stays over to SPG to hit SPG50, doubt I'll hit SPG75 though, this year. So I haven't seen much of the Hilton in the meantime.

Four Points is off my list until some prick there resigns/gets fired. I'd rather mattress run between the Westin and SGS if I really needed the stays/extra 500 points/save some dosh one night at the Westin.

Comment

• Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                              Any recommendations within this price range? I snagged the Intercontinental last minute for THB 5700 and was pretty chuffed,
                              Why is anyone paying more than THB 3200 for the IC?

Comment

• Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                                Why is anyone paying more than THB 3200 for the IC?

I booked the reservation the day before my arrival.
                                The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Working...
                                X