• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
    Another great TR
    Thanks, 9V-SIA!

Always amazed that people can eat in the lounge then eat again on the plane!
    Er...guilty as charged!

2-4-2 will soon be history I fear (except for JL? )
    On the A330, 2-4-2 should be quite standard for a long time to come (Except for certain LCCs)...whereas on the Dreamliner I agree that 2-4-2 is pretty much gone, except for JAL, which has 2-4-2, and what I think is one of the most comfortable Y cabins ever. I still think full service airlines screwed it up for the Dreamliner by configuring them 3-3-3. LCC's like Scoot flying 9-abreast 787's are ok, since you are trading off price for comfort. But for full service carriers, I have no desire to fly on any Dreamliner except JAL's now, mainly because the 9-abreast seats are very narrow compared to A330's, A350's, A380's and 9-abreast 777's. Not to say that I won't ever, but 9-abreast Dreamliners are my last choice (Along with 10 abreast 777's.).

And what about 2-3-2 on the 767? Any still flying?
    I think most 767's are still 2-3-2. I know BA's are. And JAL has a nice 2-3-2 767 hard product flying from Singapore to Tokyo as well.

Comment

Another nice TR. Spot on details in every aspect.

Quick question: I always wonder if the catering for short hauls (SEA up to HKG/CAN), less the night stops for HKG, are loaded ex SIN or if they cater the return from the outport. The chicken salad starter looks very Thai

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post

Quick question: I always wonder if the catering for short hauls (SEA up to HKG/CAN), less the night stops for HKG, are loaded ex SIN or if they cater the return from the outport. The chicken salad starter looks very Thai
        One trick is to look at the pre-cupped water. If it is SQ-branded, it means the catering is loaded ex-SIN.

I can confirm that CGK, SUB, DPS, SGN, HAN, RGN are catered Ex-SIN. HKG/CAN, BKK and i believe MNL are catered at the destinations.
        My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

There are several considerations when deciding whether to double uplift meals for the outbound and inbound sectors ex-SIN.

1) The quality/capability of the caterers outstation. In the past, there were flights that lasted 6 hours each way that were double-uplifted ex-SIN due to the low quality of the caterers at the particular station e.g. questionable hygiene standards, unable to fulfill menu variety etc. So even if it was cheaper to cater the return sector from that station, they just didn't make the grade.

2) Price of catering outstation vs ex-SIN. DPS and BKK have flight times of approx 2 hrs, but DPS-SIN meals are catered out of SIN, while BKK-SIN is catered ex-BKK.

3) Duration of flight and length of the aircraft turnaround (there's a limit how long dry-ice can keep the meals in the entire cart from turning bad). Long haul flights and flights with long turnaround time cannot be double-uplifted.

4) Weight restrictions on the operating aircraft/route. One meal vs Two Meal per sector. It is not just the meals, but the meal carts that add to the aircraft weight.

5) Certain special items may be uplifted ex-SIN even if meals are uplifted from outstation. E.g. Satay for F and J passengers if the outstation caterer is unable to produce satay of the same quality and taste.

6) Reciprocal agreements between SIN and outstation airline-caterers e.g. SQ will use TG catering if TG uses SATS catering in SIN (used to happen alot in the past, but I don't think it still happens as SATS is no longer part of SQ). While SQ currently caters their BKK-SIN meals out of BKK, TG uplifts their BKK-SIN-BKK meals entirely from BKK.

Despite the above, all airlines have some form of standing arrangements with caterers at every station in case of creeping delays and all double uplifted meals meant for the return sector need to be disposed off. Last minute changes to passenger load so additional meals need to be catered. This explains why you are sometimes offered mains that are not listed in the menu. Most airlines also uplift or top-up beverages from outstation even when meals are double uplifted. A caterer does not just provide meals for a flight - laundry service for meal linen, toiletries, the hot/cold towels that we love so much etc are sometimes included in the package as well.

As ycp81 mentioned, the easiest way to spot if a meal has been uplifted outstation is by looking at the pre-cupped water in Y.
          Last edited by icn.sg; 5 July 2017, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks, SINFJ!

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
            One trick is to look at the pre-cupped water. If it is SQ-branded, it means the catering is loaded ex-SIN.
            Thanks for the tip, ycp81! It sounds so logical, but it never occured to me until you mentioned it! I've learnt something today...

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
            5) Certain special items may be uplifted ex-SIN even if meals are uplifted from outstation. E.g. Satay for F and J passengers if the outstation caterer is unable to produce satay of the same quality and taste.
            Satay sounds like quite a specialized dish to prepare...I mean SATS even has large charcoal grills specifically to cook satay.

Apart from satay for F and J passengers, I had a memorably Y meal recently on SQ's JKT-SIN sector, where the main course actually had satay as the meat item to accompany the rice on the Y casserole. The satay looked and tasted very similar to the SQ F/J satay.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              Thanks, SINFJ!

recently on SQ's JKT-SIN sector, where the main course actually had satay as the meat item to accompany the rice on the Y casserole. The satay looked and tasted very similar to the SQ F/J satay.
              And you will know why it tasted similar to their F/J satay when you look at the pre-cupped water.

Comment

Kyo somehow managed to produce a spare priority arrival pass...
                Hmmm…how did he manage THAT???

...we went our separate ways via the AOT's prepaid car transport service, which we booked on arrival from a booth within the baggage area.
                You must have been with someone else as we ALL know Kyo+ ONLY takes the deathtraps to/from BKK and he will RIP on ANYONE for wasting money on AOT.

As SPG Platinum, I was upgraded from a "Wonderful" room to a "Spectacular" room...
                No suite???

As usual, another awesome TR.
                HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by icn.sg View Post
                  And you will know why it tasted similar to their F/J satay when you look at the pre-cupped water.
                  They should make satay one of the BTC choices in PEY...I think it would be a big hit!

Comment

Kyo somehow managed to produce a spare priority arrival pass...
                    Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    Hmmm…how did he manage THAT???
                    I personally have a small stash of priority fast lane cards for DXB and Australian airports, but I obtained these the hard way i.e. cards unused from previous trips when I went to the regular Y queues instead of the priority queues because Y queues were empty. As for how Kyo got an extra BKK one, it is just one of many frequent traveller feats that only Kyo can pull off...

...we went our separate ways via the AOT's prepaid car transport service, which we booked on arrival from a booth within the baggage area.
                    You must have been with someone else as we ALL know Kyo+ ONLY takes the deathtraps to/from BKK and he will RIP on ANYONE for wasting money on AOT.
                    He had a ton of luggage with him that day...doubt it would have fit a regular taxi!

As SPG Platinum, I was upgraded from a "Wonderful" room to a "Spectacular" room...
                    No suite???
                    I don't often get upgraded to a suite as an SPG Platinum member. Usually the upgrade is to the next higher category room. Not that it bothers me, since the higher category rooms are usually pretty good. I don't really care much for suite upgrades as a single traveller on a business trip. Suites are more important to me when travelling on vacation with Mrs yflyer and/or the kids. Haven't figured out the secret to consistently getting hotel suite upgrades yet (Although checking in very late at night seems to improve the odds...).

As usual, another awesome TR.
                    Thanks, HUGE AL!
                    Last edited by yflyer; 14 July 2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

In today's Straits Times newspaper, a video and an article about a proposed pedestrian/cycling promenade along the Chao Phraya, which should start construction in a month's time.

Video:
                      http://www.straitstimes.com/videos/b.../5505256628001

Article here:
                      http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-...s-river-revamp

Comment

Great TR, yflyer. I had SSG when I flew back from MAA-SIN back in January. I never noticed the KrisWorld, Please Take your Belongings as you leave the aircraft thing on the A330's system when I flew. Must be a new feature.

Excellent pics of Bangkok, would definitely love to go visit someday.

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                          Great TR, yflyer.
                          Thanks, SQfanatic!

I never noticed the KrisWorld, Please Take your Belongings as you leave the aircraft thing on the A330's system when I flew. Must be a new feature.
                          Yes first time I noticed it too. There is also a new startup splash screen with the 70th anniversary branding...

Excellent pics of Bangkok, would definitely love to go visit someday.
                          I still have the feeling that I have barely scratched the surface of what Bangkok has to offer. Still lots to explore...

Comment

Thanks, SQfanatic!

Yes first time I noticed it too. There is also a new startup splash screen with the 70th anniversary branding...

I still have the feeling that I have barely scratched the surface of what Bangkok has to offer. Still lots to explore...
                            No problem!! Yeah on Youtube SQ released a few of those videos with exactly that. If you visit Bangkok next time hope you will get to explore more.

Comment

I don't often get upgraded to a suite as an SPG Platinum member. Usually the upgrade is to the next higher category room. Not that it bothers me, since the higher category rooms are usually pretty good. I don't really care much for suite upgrades as a single traveller on a business trip. Suites are more important to me when travelling on vacation with Mrs yflyer and/or the kids. Haven't figured out the secret to consistently getting hotel suite upgrades yet (Although checking in very late at night seems to improve the odds...).
                              Ridiculous steps, but ones we go through all the time:
                              • Before checking in, look online to see if any suites are available.
                              • Watch the front desk to see if they upgrade you to said suites.
                              • If not, inquire.
                              • If they still BS you, shoot a message to SPG via Twitter.
                              • You should get a call from a manager shortly afterwards telling you a suite JUST became available.

Doesn't matter if you are bothered or not, it is a published benefit that should always be extended to you (but mostly never is).
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Ridiculous steps, but ones we go through all the time:
                                • Before checking in, look online to see if any suites are available.
                                • Watch the front desk to see if they upgrade you to said suites.
                                • If not, inquire.
                                • If they still BS you, shoot a message to SPG via Twitter.
                                • You should get a call from a manager shortly afterwards telling you a suite JUST became available.

Doesn't matter if you are bothered or not, it is a published benefit that should always be extended to you (but mostly never is).
                                Not a bad idea, checking if suites are available online beforehand!

As for putting this on SPG's Twitter, I dunno if I would be comfortable escalating something like this so publicly...

Comment

Working...
                                X