A380 - Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap. 7 Airport Readiness/Ground Operations

a) Which airports are ready for the A380?
    Changi Airport in Singapore and Sydney International Airport, Australia, both of which SIA are starting operations to, are ready for the A380.

Another 58 airports around the world are in various stages of readiness for the jumbo jet. A total of 8 airports should be ready in 2008.

b) Do you foresee any difficulties to maintain the current turnaround time for the A380 as compared to the B747-400? What procedures are put in place to maintain the turnaround time for the A380?

Many tests have been done on this to ensure that major chinks in terms of operating a much larger aircraft will be smoothened out once we start flying the aircraft. We have been working closely with our ground handlers in the various airports to ensure that the standard turnaround time for the A380 will be no longer than that of the B747-400.

As a result of the target, all current operations such as passenger handling as well as baggage handling have been “scaled up” in order to maintain the same standards. This is being monitored closely and will be constantly refined as the A380 operations mature.

c) Will procedures that have been developed for servicing of the A380 be exported to other airports?

As part of our business requirement, SIA has already been in regular contact with airport authorities and our ground handlers worldwide on their preparations for the arrival of the A380. Under consideration by airports are a range of technical and customer service issues including direct upper deck boarding and catering access, larger boarding lounges and parking bays. This is to ensure the consistency of the SIA service delivery is maintained at all SIA destinations.

d) In operating the A380s, what kind of new equipment would SIA/SATS is needed for ground handling, such as meal servicing, baggage transporting and cabin cleaning etc.?

SATS has acquired new equipment in order to effectively handle the A380 when it joins the fleet, particularly with regards to catering, where direct upper deck access catering trucks, which will enable food to be sent directly to the upper deck of the aircraft, will be required.

Singapore Airlines has also been working closely with our ground handlers in the various airports to maintain the standard turnaround time for the A380 to be no longer than that of the B747-400 of 120 minutes.

We have also been working very closely with airport authorities worldwide on their preparations for the arrival of the A380. A range of technical and customer service issues including direct upper deck boarding and catering access, larger boarding lounges and aircraft parking bays as well as longer baggage carousels are being implemented.

e) What is the minimum turnaround time for the A380 as compared to B744?

For the A380, it is 110 mins and for the B744, 90 mins.

f) What are some of the key features / changes to existing procedures are in place to ensure everyone gets onboard on time and that the plane leaves on time?

We have revised our boarding sequence and have in place clear signage to ensure customers board at the right gates.

g) Are there any key changes to existing procedures that customers have to take note off?

As the A380 is a double-deck aircraft, customers are advised to take note of which deck they are seated on, and listen to the boarding announcements and follow signage put up at the airport. Also, to ensure that everyone gets on board on time, ground staff will be stationed to assist customers when necessary.

h) You recently conducted a live trial replicating the entire boarding and operational processes for the A380 when it was here in Singapore in August. What were some of the key observations learnt from that trial, and what did you do to make sure everything goes well with real passengers?

We have gained invaluable experience during the trials conducted in August, giving us clearer ideas on how we can improve on time management, manpower deployment, coordination and communications, and safety during an aircraft turnaround, all the while ensuring the consistency of the Singapore Airlines standard of service.

Useful Information:
    Singapore Airlines has been in regular contact with airport authorities worldwide starting from 01/02 on their preparations for the arrival of the A380. Under consideration by airports are a range of technical and customer service issues, mainly due to the large size of the aircraft, including direct upper deck boarding and catering access, larger boarding lounges, runways, taxiways and parking bays.

Some examples:
    Airside - Runways and taxiways must be of sufficient length and width. Separations between runways/taxiways and taxiways/taxiways must also be sufficient to take into account the increased wingspan of the aircraft.

Apron - Parking bays must be of sufficient size (80m X 80m). There must be sufficient parking bays and contact stands at the terminal buildings at each airport, taking into account the number of carriers which will operate the A380 to the airport.

Boarding - Passenger boarding bridges must lead directly to the upper deck. This is not only necessary for passengers’ convenience but also to cater for passengers with reduced mobility (PRMs) accessing the upper deck.

Ground Handling – Ground handling equipment such as catering trucks must be able to service the upper deck of the aircraft. Tow tugs to push back the aircraft, given its increased weight, must be available.

Terminal - Terminal facilities must be expanded/enhanced to handle the increased passenger numbers (e.g. Boarding Gate Rooms, CIQ facilities, arrival baggage belts, etc).
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Thanks for sharing, LukeGT. This is both informative and interesting.

Comment

In case people haven't seen this yet--amazing interactive view of the A380 cockpit:

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm

Comment

Thanks for sharing that, MovieMan... would give anything to see the real thing though... hehe

So close, yet so far

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
            In case people haven't seen this yet--amazing interactive view of the A380 cockpit:

Thanks, MovieMan

BTW, does anyone know which of the remaining 2 daily flights (SIN-LHR and LHR-SIN ) would be for the next A380? Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I can't find that info using the search facility.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
              BTW, does anyone know which of the remaining 2 daily flights (SIN-LHR and LHR-SIN ) would be for the next A380? Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but I can't find that info using the search facility.
              That would be most useful information indeed - would like to try and snag some award seats whilst it's still listed as 744. Still hoping to get mrs nickbot and I into new C seats sometime this century!

Comment

i'm making a substantiated guess here, but i'm thinking it should be 318/321.

321 being the night flight out of london prolly has a probable higher pax load than 319 (the 1830 departure).

and i'm thinking that the 318/321 cycle makes more sense too cos it fits quite snugly into the existing 322/317 cycle.

317 arrives in sgp at 0745hrs, 5 hr layover and can go to LHR as SQ318 at 1240hrs.
                318 then comes back as 321
                321 arrives in SIN at 1930 hrs, 3.5 hour layover, and can go out as 322 at 2320.

so unless my maths is wrong, SQ will only need three A380s to service 2 LHR services.

if 308/319 is used, SQ will only have 1 hr to turnover the previous day's 317 (arr in SGP 0740hrs) to serve 308 (dep SGP 0900 hrs). if 317 is delayed at lhr even by a bit (which is always likely), its gg to be too mad a scramble for this cycle to make sense, other than having a fourth A380 on standby.

also a quick look at the other (announced and plausible) a380 routes:

NRT 638/637 2340hrs/1735hrs+1, SYD 221/222 2035/2140+1 and even SQ1/2 to SFO via HKG, it just seems that 318/321 is a better fit.

just looking at the above line though, seems that narita and sydney look a pretty decent fit themselves.

purely reasoned guesswork which assumes that LHR will get the upgauge with the first tranche of 10 whalejets, but this would be how i would run it. correct me if i'm wrong yeah?
                Last edited by kelvgoh; 4 April 2008, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Singapore Airlines is achieving load factors of 95% on its A380 services to London Heathrow, according to airline sources, while the four A380s currently in service are averaging nearly 80%. SIA officials said the novelty of flying aboard the new jumbo aircraft has contributed to their popularity. It launched A380 flights to Tokyo Narita last month (ATWOnline, May 21) and is scheduled to take delivery of its fifth A380 before July.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/other.htm ... F18%2F2008

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post

Looking into the cockpit, I understand why pilots drink their coffee out of disposal cups..... there are no coffee mug holders!!!!!
                    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                      Looking into the cockpit, I understand why pilots drink their coffee out of disposal cups..... there are no coffee mug holders!!!!!
                      Ah but look again, ... just beyond each outer armrest , between what looks like a microphone and the window.... looks like you could happily cradle a highball glass in there (JW Blue and soda, anyone ?) That would compliment the "Entertainment" button (left hand side of ceiling switch panel).

Incidentally, I wonder what that large handle is for underneath the window ? Does it operate a robotic arm on the outside that can be used to pluck anyone trying to board on an award ticket?

Oh I just noticed how flimsy that door lock appears to be. Could one well placed kick from the outside send it whizzing across the cockpit. Seriously, perhaps that detail should be masked from the panorama?
                      Last edited by maxmin; 19 June 2008, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maxmin View Post
                        Ah but look again, ... just beyond each outer armrest , between what looks like a microphone and the window.... looks like you could happily cradle a highball glass in there (JW Blue and soda, anyone ?) That would compliment the "Entertainment" button (left hand side of ceiling switch panel).

Incidentally, I wonder what that large handle is for underneath the window ? Does it operate a robotic arm on the outside that can be used to pluck anyone trying to board on an award ticket?

Oh I just noticed how flimsy that door lock appears to be. Could one well placed kick from the outside send it whizzing across the cockpit. Seriously, perhaps that detail should be masked from the panorama?
                        Coffee mugs comes with a handle.. those cup holders will not be able to cradle a coffee mug..
                        This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                          Coffee mugs comes with a handle.. those cup holders will not be able to cradle a coffee mug..
                          Well, yes, but every "commuter" coffee mug (usually stainless steel looking) that I've seen doesn't have a handle. Probably they were all designed in case an A380 pilot needed one... or because every cup holder in every car (so far that I've encountered) does not have a cut-out for a handle. I rest my case.

Comment

sq is happy or not happy with the A380 (9 months entry service ) ..

Comment

Originally posted by toulouse
                              The above link is faulty...

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                                The above link is faulty...

TRANSCRIPT OFSINGAPORE AIRLINES FINANCIAL RESULTS BRIEFING
                                YEAR ENDED 31 MARCH 2008
                                (
                                http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...tsBriefing.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X