SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ217 View Post
    Almost 4 months and they haven’t even attempted to repair it.
    On the contrary, I think they might have already repaired the damage... and the towing was to the paint hanger. Noticed how the essential bits have been cleaned of the soot and the nose gear seems intact together with its gear doors.

On take off roll from 02C this morning I spotted what appears to be an SQ 772 in the hanger with the front part of the fuselage stripped of paint. That may very well be the paint job to complete the repair. .... unless what I saw was SRL or SVE being stripped of its Sq colours.

Comment

• The nose gear doors appear to be missing in the video...

Comment

• SQK was languishing at the freighter bay for close to a month before it got towed out. The nose area is still charred which is an indication that no structural repair was done, let alone cosmetic touch up. More importantly, it was missing both engines for a prolonged period and is still missing at least one engine in that video. Considering its age and the state it has been so far, prospect doesn't seem good.

Comment

• Originally posted by boing View Post
          SQK was languishing at the freighter bay for close to a month before it got towed out. The nose area is still charred which is an indication that no structural repair was done, let alone cosmetic touch up. More importantly, it was missing both engines for a prolonged period and is still missing at least one engine in that video. Considering its age and the state it has been so far, prospect doesn't seem good.
          My bad, yes didn’t notice the missing nose gear doors and engine. I was thinking more along the lines of components, eg. pitot tubes being replaced (therefore selective cleaned away area). But wow...if engines were removed, feels more like they’re beginning to scrap the frame.

I’m given to believe that SQ intended to keep these regional 772s for a few more years since they recently invested a bit more effort to refit the interior, albeit with the 77W hand-me-downs. SRM, SQM and SQN as well. So the repair costs, whoever’s paying for it... must have outweighed this completely.

Comment

• Hmm (forgive me for being so analytical)
            Looking at the pictures of SQK after the fire and the vid... they must have done some real cleaning up or paint work touch up somehow. The frame’s nose looks way too clean. Isn’t easy to remove soot marks like that?

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
              Hmm (forgive me for being so analytical)
              Looking at the pictures of SQK after the fire and the vid... they must have done some real cleaning up or paint work touch up somehow. The frame’s nose looks way too clean. Isn’t easy to remove soot marks like that?
              Based on my limited experience in household cleaning, removing soot from metal shouldn't be too much of a hassle. That charred marks on the nose means that the fire has penetrated through the surface which could possibly mean extensive structural repair to that area. Nose landing gear could also need replacement.

Comment

• Originally posted by boing View Post
                Based on my limited experience in household cleaning, removing soot from metal shouldn't be too much of a hassle. That charred marks on the nose means that the fire has penetrated through the surface which could possibly mean extensive structural repair to that area. Nose landing gear could also need replacement.
                From the video it does look like there is damage to the skin of the aircraft.
                Also I think that is location of the avionics bay on the aircraft, if the avionics were damaged on top of structural damage it could mean an economic write off.

Comment

• No repair work has been done on SQK yet. It is now parked at bay 510 if i’m not wrong. As for it’s fate, nobody knows. As for now, it has 2 more years of life in SQ and currently is being used for spares. Any updates, i will post it here.

Comment

• Originally posted by banx007 View Post
                    No repair work has been done on SQK yet. It is now parked at bay 510 if i’m not wrong. As for it’s fate, nobody knows. As for now, it has 2 more years of life in SQ and currently is being used for spares. Any updates, i will post it here.
                    Funny how it’s taking so Long for a decision to be made on it. But yeah I Guess there’s no use speculating. Whatever it is they have enough 772Rs I suppose.

Comment

• 9V-SVL is currently out on an A/T as SQ8877; without any titles or logo.
                      Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
                        9V-SVL is currently out on an A/T as SQ8877; without any titles or logo.
                        That's odd...SVL is SQ owned isn't it? So SVL is the mystery 77E which brought the number of active 77Es down from 9 to 8.

Having no titles or logo + airtest suggests its been sold to another operator? Seems like a very short timeline...last flown for SQ on 28 Feb and within a month leaving the fleet.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
                          That's odd...SVL is SQ owned isn't it? So SVL is the mystery 77E which brought the number of active 77Es down from 9 to 8.

Having no titles or logo + airtest suggests its been sold to another operator? Seems like a very short timeline...last flown for SQ on 28 Feb and within a month leaving the fleet.
                          Yes, to the best of my knowledge, all remaining 772s are SQ owned, and I agree, this does seem to have solved the puzzle about the '8 in fleet'. Very odd to keep SVE out of action for so long, then to bring it back and remove a different one. I suspect we will see a few more depart in May unless a whole lot of A330s depart instead, otherwise there simply won't be any other work left for these planes.

I still wonder about the Vistara rumour...

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                            I suspect we will see a few more depart in May unless a whole lot of A330s depart instead, otherwise there simply won't be any other work left for these planes.
                            Planespotters has tagged STA, STB and STO as being "Due" to Brussels Airlines. I suspect the 6 (7 if STF is included) older A330s are likely to exit the next fiscal year. All will be revealed during results briefing in mid May.

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
                              Planespotters has tagged STA, STB and STO as being "Due" to Brussels Airlines. I suspect the 6 (7 if STF is included) older A330s are likely to exit the next fiscal year. All will be revealed during results briefing in mid May.
                              Thanks for the tip- very interesting that they've already been assigned registrations with their new airline, so it can't be too far off. I can't recall the source, but I think 78Js are meant to start arriving quite quickly, which would allow them to shed both A330s and old 772s at the same time. What is also to be factored in, is that a number of former 772ER flights are slated to become A330 soon. This is of course quite possible if a number of current A330s convert to 78J, details of which we don't know yet.

Comment

• there are now 21 active 772/3s + 16 odd A330s (after factoring in those due to leave).... that's 32 aircraft. assuming the 772/3s get replaced before the A330s, that means 21 78J aircraft received in the next FY to replace them... i dont recall the target to be 21 deliveries?

and then if the A330 leases expire (of which STT-STZ will be 5/6 years old in 2018/19).. i don't really see the 772/3s going so soon! it's likely cheaper operating fully depreciated aircraft than to keep those on lease.
                                SVB/SVC may actually see their 19th birthday with SQ in 2020!

btw, a guess about SVE... could it be something to do with SQK? like perhaps SVE was intended to be stored...but then a decision was made on SQK (a.k.a write off?) and so plans to retire SVE had to be scrapped.

Comment

Working...
                                X