Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Icelandic Summer and a side of London, Stockholm & Oslo (SQ, FI, SK, QR in J/Y)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disembarked. It was a short and pleasant hop on SAS, with reasonably comfortable seating, nice snacks and efficient service on this very short sector.

The gate area of Oslo Gardemoen was bright and airy with modern Scandic design.

Planespotting along the way to baggage claim.

Waiting for baggage. Noticed that baggage delivery in both Stockholm and Oslo seemed not too efficient as there was still quite a wait even though we had took some time walking to the belt.

From the airport, we took the local train to Oslo Sentral (the local train was half the price but only 2 minutes slower than the Flytoget Airport Express train). Stayed at Radisson Blu which was just opposite the train station. Huge and comfortable room with nice view.

Having only a very short stay in Oslo, we headed out immediately after check-in to explore the city. The iconic Opera House was just across from the train station.

Strolling along the streets.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Along the harbour heading towards Aker Brygge.

Aker Brygge, a popular stretch of eateries facing the harbour.

We had dinner at Louise Restaurant, which was a very popular restaurant along the stretch.

The seafood soup was good, and the Nordic mussels were OMG the best mussels I had ever eaten! Fresh, tender and not chewy nor fishy, and this coming from someone who is not a fan of mussels.

Due to the dining crowd, there was a bit of wait for the mains. However, when it arrived, the cod and the salmon did not disappoint. The North Atlantic prawns were also fresh, though smaller in size compared to its South-east Asian cousins.

After dinner was done, it was already dark and so strolled back to the hotel while enjoying the night lights.

My Travel Map

Comment

Norwegian Parliament

Along Karl Johans gate shopping street.

Oslo Cathedral

On the last day, we still had the morning to explore the city and did some souvenir shopping.

Farmers Market

Ending with a sinful but tasty burger at the popular MAX Burger.

My Travel Map

Comment

Checked out of the hotel and took the local train back to Oslo airport. Qatar Airways check-in counters were quite busy, but we were checked in swiftly. Bags were tagged through to the final destination Singapore.

There was a fast track lane through security for most airlines' premium passengers.

Departure hall and through the shops.

Qatar uses the OSL Lounge and we were invited into the Premium section.

The lounge was not too busy and there were sufficient seating.

However the food selection was not too inspiring, with the only hot option being the soup.

My Travel Map

Comment

Decent beverage selection

Only had some fruits and drinks as I decided to spare my tummy for the inflight dining.

Leaving thee Premium section of the lounge, I actually preferred the 'normal' section as it seemed brighter, though a bit more crowded. Food and beverage selection seemed similar.

Left the lounge and headed to the gate. Our gate would be just after passport control.

13 August 2019
            Qatar Airways
            QR 176
            Oslo (OSL) - Doha (DOH)
            B787-8
            A7-BCC
            Business Class
            Flight Time: 5H53M

Qatar's Dreamliner at the gate.

One thing I have noticed is that QR starts their boarding process very early, with boarding commenced 45min before STD. Headed straight towards the aircraft after boarding passes were checked.

Just steps away from my first Qatar Business Class experience. Would this really be the 'First in Business' experience as QR has always touted?

Warmly welcomed at the door and guided to the correct aisle. Business cabin was already half-filled early during the boarding. Though not equipped with Q-Suites, the B787-8 still offers the previous generation of herringbone designed lie-flat seats. These seats are still one of the better business class seats around.

My Travel Map

Comment

Placed on each seat was a pillow, duvet, amenity kit and bottle of water. Headsets were in the side compartment.

Very good legroom.

View out the window.

After being seated, the 'First' experience begun. The purser as well as the crew serving our aisle came round to introduce themselves, update on the flight time, as well as did a quick introduction of the seat features. Wow, I have never expected that as a non-status passenger in business class! Even SQ doesn't do this in Business Class (unless you are a PPS maybe?), though I vaguely recalled that TG crew also introduced themselves on my last flight with them. There were 3 crew serving the full cabin of 22 passengers. Following this, our welcome beverage orders were taken (any drink from the menu), menus distributed, as well as an offer of hot or cold towel! Wow, you mean I can actually choose to have a cold towel?? I chose to have the signature lemon-mint drink along with an ice cold towel served on a towel tray. Already, I was very impressed by the ground service upon boarding.

Contents of the Brics amenity kit.

Exploring the seat features. There was a shoe drawer.

Headsets and side-table with magazine rack and bottle holder.

IFE controller and the various ports.

Seat controls

A bottle of still water already placed at each seat.

QR's fleet

My Travel Map

Comment

Firing up the IFE system. However for some reason, this aircraft did not have the latest IFE selection updated or the system screwed up. This was made known to the crew inflight, who was very apologetic and offered to reset the system and see if the latest selection showed up. However, I had movies to watch from the current selection and all was fine.

All settled in for the mid-haul.

Crew also came round to take orders for after takeoff beverage, as well as your preference for meal timing and meal choices. Yes, you may have your meal anytime you like, and select from anything from the ala-carte menu. Impressive and certainly a First-ish service!

A brief shower while at the gate.

Safety video played as we pushed back.

Taxiing to the runway.

My Travel Map

Comment

Departure from Rwy01L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsVnuo1_EmA

Reclined my seat to a very comfy position.

And started my first movie while playing with the dimmable windows.

My post-takeoff beverage of a Rose was served. The delivery was exceptional as the crew first placed an empty champagne flute on the side, went back to the galley to get the champagne, presented the champagne and followed by pouring the bubbles right at my seat, just like in First Class. It was served with a bowl of warm nuts.

Visit to the lavatory. There were 2 lavatories at the rear of the business cabin, and both had window views! Lavatory was stocked with the potions and lotions from Rituals, as well as toothbrushes and shavers.

View of the cosy cabin (taken slightly later into the flight).

My Travel Map

Comment

There were separate food and wines menus.

Ala-carte menu

Non-alcoholic beverages

Extensive wine list

Setting sun

Dinner was served. The male crew from Macedonia serving our aisle was excellent, providing very personable and professional service, just like in a 5-stars restaurant.

Table was set with a bread bowl, condiments (there was even a choice of different flavours of olive oil), water, a candlelight and a amuse-bouche. Napkin was placed on your lap personally, and cutlery were presented and replaced after every course was served. First Class style.

My Travel Map

Comment

The amuse-bouche was some sort of crab dish. It was fresh and light.

Breads and condiments.

Pink salt and whole pepper grinders. Wow!

The cauliflower and garlic soup was served next. It was amazing! Portion was huge too.

Tried the signature Arabic mezze. The portion was again suitable as a full meal. Taste wise, I am not a fan of Arabic food so could not comment, but many who had tasted swore by QR's Arabic mezze.

Also tried the Nordic salmon.

For the main, I chose the Cod fish sayadiyah. To be honest, I was already filled by then and did not manage to finish the dish, though the cod was tender and rice fragrant though a bit soggy.

To finish, my friend had the cheese plate.

While I had the fresh berries with orange syrup and gourmet ice-cream. I was bursting at this point.

My Travel Map

Comment

Somewhere over Russia after dinner was done and starting with the second movie.

Some coffee and Godiva chocolates to end, and a hot towel to clean up. The entire meal service was very well-paced and totally felt like a First Class experience!

Sun has almost set.

There was a lounging area at Door 2, where there were fruits, snacks, champagne and magazines.

Reclined my seat to the bed mode to test out the comfort. Though not Q-Suite, it was still a very comfortable bed.

My Travel Map

Comment

Cabin with lights turned off.

About an hour prior to arrival, the crew came round again, asking if we would like anything to eat or drink before landing. I was originally looking to have the afternoon tea set, but as I was still very full from the dinner, just opted to have a cappuccino which arrived with some cookies.

Lights turned up before descent.

And another hot towel given out to refresh ourselves as we started our descent. Total of 4 towels offered on this mid-haul (compared to only 2 on SQ Business Class long-haul after it revised its service procedures last month).

Descending and landing in Doha Rwy34L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnptuOsTBf8

Last look at my seat before disembarking.

Parked at a bus gate, but there was a dedicated bus for Business Class passengers.

It was an amazing experience on Qatar Airways' Business Class. Having read so much on the impressive, I was still not prepared to be awed by the service and offerings onboard. The crew serving our aisle was excellent, and generally the service standards was more in line with First Class rather than Business. The tagline 'First in Business' certainly lives up to the hype!

Next up, I would be checking out the hub lounge as well as the Q-Suites experience on the final leg!

My Travel Map

Comment

Transfer security was painless for premium passengers as there were dedicated security lanes. It was the peak arrival and departure bank during midnight and expected, Doha airport terminal was packed with transiting passengers.

The famous yellow teddy at DOH.

Finally located the Al Mourjan Business Lounge and went up the escalator to the lounge, escaping the hustle and bustle below.

Lounge reception, but there was no need to be verified as our boarding passes were already checked by staff at the foot of the escalator.

FIDS, with mainly QR departures.

The lounge was huge, with a modern and serene design. Plenty of seating available around the lounge. With the expansive and open space, the lounge did not felt crowded at all.

There was a deli offering made-to-order sandwiches.

My Travel Map

Comment

Light bites and desserts were available in the deli area as well.

However we decided to head to the proper dining area at the other end of the lounge. The dining restaurant is up the circular stairs above the pond.

Even though it was buffet concept, there were proper restaurant-style seating with servers setting the tables and attending to your needs.

There were hot dishes, soups, Arabic mezzes, and a huge range of desserts. There was also a tended bar area.

Our supper selection.

My Travel Map

Comment

View of the lounge from the restaurant.

Checking out the dimly lit quiet area, where there were separate cubicles with sofas and loungers.

We had reserved a shower and it was available shortly after our meal. An attendant welcomed me into the shower area, and asked if I needed any amenities and I requested for a toothbrush. The shower area with separate toilet cubicle was very clean, with a very powerful shower and Rituals products.

Further relaxing in the lounge before heading to the gate.

It was a bit of a walk to the gate at A6, where boarding had already commenced. Also, we learned at the gate that the aircraft had been 'downgraded' from an A350-1000 to an A350-900. Luckily, it was still a Q-Suite equipped aircraft, though some of the Q-Suite passengers had to be moved around as there were less seats on the A359.

14 August 2019
                                Qatar Airways
                                QR 946
                                Doha (DOH) - Singapore (SIN)
                                A350-900
                                A7-ALY
                                Business Class
                                Flight Time: 7H52M

Boarded the aircraft immediately.

My Travel Map

Comment