No announcement yet.

'New' benefit for Solitaires : Birthday upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do the SIA systems have to do with your inquiry on the possibility of a birthday upgrade? The answer shared by others based on their info / experience is that such upgrades seem to be given to TPPs and not QPPs. So sounds more like a policy than a lack of capabilities. Enjoy either way.
    Last edited by demue; 4 March 2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

TPP Birthday Upgrade & PPS Rewards Stand-By Upgrade execution

I was fortunate enough to score a Birthday upgrade (from J to F) for quite a long flight (SIN-LAX) recently.
      I don't make it a point to travel on or around my birthday to score the upgrade, and the last time I travelled on SQ one day before my birthday I was already in F. So I was curious of how it works.
      Having checked in at CGK airport (my route was CGK-SIN-LAX), I finally got my SIN-LAX upgrade to F only at boarding time in SIN.
      Even though I am thankful SQ is doing this, wouldn't it be nice to just award the upgrade at check in at CGK? After all, the F seat SIN-LAX was available at check in (yes, I was monitoring the flight loads with ExpertFlyer).
      Giving away the upgrade at last minute during boarding seems a bit petty in my opinion. After all, how many TPPs travels on their birthday really?

Frankly I don't know if my experience was the standard, or an anomaly.
      Can anyone else share their experience? Is the birthday upgrade given at check in at origin airport? Or at gate?

Now I have a couple of standby upgrades (part of PPS rewards) to be used on my future flights.

T & C is as follows (bold emphasis mine):
      Terms and conditions

PPS Rewards are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
      Standby Upgrade applications must be submitted at least 48 hours before your flight.
      Upgrades are not guaranteed upon application of the PPS Reward, and are subject to seat availability upon check-in at the airport.

This PPS Reward may be used by the principal PPS Club member or their redemption nominee.
      Each Upgrade Reward can only be used for one traveller, per flight segment.
      This PPS Reward may be combined with a Double KrisFlyer Miles Reward. Check terms and conditions for Double KrisFlyer Miles Reward.
      This PPS Reward can only be used if the original commercial booking is in the following classes: Economy class - Y, B, E, M, H, W; Premium Economy Class - S, T; Business Class - Z, C, J, U.
      Standby Upgrades can only be used for upgrades on flights operated and marketed by Singapore Airlines or SilkAir. This excludes codeshare flights marketed by Singapore Airlines or SilkAir, and operated by codeshare partners, as well as codeshare flights marketed by codeshare partners, and operated by Singapore Airlines or SilkAir.
      Only one Standby Upgrade can be used for one flight segment, and is applicable only for one-cabin class upgrades. This means that two Standby Upgrades cannot be used in conjunction for a double upgrade (e.g. from Economy Class to First Class, or Economy Class to Business Class, on an aircraft that offers Premium Economy Class).
      The PPS Reward cannot be combined with a redemption ticket (including HighFlyer) or with a redemption upgrade.
      This PPS Reward cannot be combined with mySQupgrade.
      KrisFlyer terms and conditions apply.
      I am curious to see how this works as well.
      Wait until last minute unsold seats? Or really upgrade at check-in as per the T & C?

Would appreciate any sharing of your experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
        Wait until last minute unsold seats? Or really upgrade at check-in as per the T & C?
        Why the second-guessing? SQ will give passenger with a voucher priority over passengers celebrating their birthday.

The voucher is a published perk and a commitment from SQ.

On the other hand, you are not supposed to know that they will honor your birthday and offer an upgrade and I would think it would be even nicer to only give you the upgrade only onboard and ask you to take a seat in front of the curtain. No need to give the upgrade in CGK and keep options open till the very last minute.

I flew from SIN to HKG a couple of weeks back in F and was assigned a middle seat. Was eagerly watching expertflyer hoping the seat next to me would be left open. In the end a pretty well-know blogger takes the seat and he paid full fare.

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
          Why the second-guessing? SQ will give passenger with a voucher priority over passengers celebrating their birthday.

The voucher is a published perk and a commitment from SQ.

On the other hand, you are not supposed to know that they will honor your birthday and offer an upgrade and I would think it would be even nicer to only give you the upgrade only onboard and ask you to take a seat in front of the curtain. No need to give the upgrade in CGK and keep options open till the very last minute.
          Published and unpubished perks exist for reasons including to make the valued customer feel appreciated.

'Unpublished perks' is where it gets a bit tricky. This particular TPP perk is no longer a secret, with bloggers and frequent flyers posting information on the internet, TPPs who have experienced it sharing the stories with their friends etc.

You may prefer to have your birthday upgrade delivered by means of asking you to get up from your J seat, pick up your belongings and follow the FA to the F cabin. I on the other hand, prefer such gesture to come in a more well prepared & intended/sincere form (while being understanding to their need to fill the premium seat with paying customers).

Awarding upgrades to TPPs travelling on their birthday at check in - in my opinion - would seem like a gesture much better executed than a last minute beep at the gate. Not much potential revenue is lost here in my view. After all they have waited that long to fill the seat.

Any potential loss in revenue should be offset with additional revenue by the happy customer, or the retention of business from the customer.

My question was an invitation for other flyers to share their experience of the birthday upgrade - since I do not claim to know the SOP of how it works.
          Also, I am curious of how they do the standby upgrade - at check-in or at the gate.

I flew from SIN to HKG a couple of weeks back in F and was assigned a middle seat. Was eagerly watching expertflyer hoping the seat next to me would be left open. In the end a pretty well-know blogger takes the seat and he paid full fare.
          Last minute full-fare, discounted, or redemption First Class flyer happens all the time. They might also put staffs eligible to fly in First Class next to you. There is no surprise there for me.

Comment

Last minute full-fare, discounted, or redemption First Class flyer happens all the time. They might also put staffs eligible to fly in First Class next to you. There is no surprise there for me.
            You have already given the answer yourself: Birthday will only happen last minute and only where SQ is willing to sacrifice revenue in order for retention (voucher) they will upgrade at check-in.

Comment

You have already given the answer yourself: Birthday will only happen last minute and only where SQ is willing to sacrifice revenue in order for retention (voucher) they will upgrade at check-in.
              Are you answering based on your experience?
              This was not entirely true based on my experience.

Hopefully others can share their data points.
              Looking for consistency/inconsistency between SOP and execution.

Comment

If we collect data points, we should also look at additional information like seat load: if there are 10 seats open in Suites, I have an easier time to grant the upgrade earlier.

Comment

I'd love to use this 'unpublished' perk one day but my birthday is so close to Christmas, when the loads out of MEL are always so tight that I might not get the upgrade anyway. I believe it is offered two days either side of the actually day - is that right? .

Comment

Does this only apply to the principle status holder or supplemental card holder too when traveling together?

Comment

A completely free upgrade is a very nice thing, especially on SQ.

Being petty about exactly when you receive it is ungracious. If you want this unofficial perk taken away, not just for you but for everybody, you're going exactly the right way about it.

I can tell you as someone who works in a customer focused role, the instinctive response when your customer nitpicks when you stretch for them, is to not stretch for them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by MEL-World View Post
                        I'd love to use this 'unpublished' perk one day but my birthday is so close to Christmas, when the loads out of MEL are always so tight that I might not get the upgrade anyway. I believe it is offered two days either side of the actually day - is that right? .
                        It is actually on your birthday and one day before and after.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SKU View Post
                          Does this only apply to the principle status holder or supplemental card holder too when traveling together?
                          Nope - just the principal card holder. Travelling companions won't get the upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by thelongroad View Post
                            A completely free upgrade is a very nice thing, especially on SQ.

Being petty about exactly when you receive it is ungracious. If you want this unofficial perk taken away, not just for you but for everybody, you're going exactly the right way about it.

I can tell you as someone who works in a customer focused role, the instinctive response when your customer nitpicks when you stretch for them, is to not stretch for them anymore.
                            Interesting point of view about the upgrade being completely free, thank you for sharing.

Interesting insight too about the instinctive response from the customer focused roles in your organization. That's definitely not how mine operate. We would try to improve our SOP, especially if there is no big difference in costs to deliver the intended perk.

Oh, and no, we don't think about giving perks to our good customers as 'stretching for them' too.

It is like we want to invite our best customers to an appreciation party. But delivery of the invitation is distastefully late.
                            Is the customer not supposed to give feedback? "Hey, take the FREE party and shut up"?

Comment

Merged with original thread.

I doubt it, this is only available to TPP's.

Comment

I was fortunate enough to score a Birthday upgrade (from J to F) for quite a long flight (SIN-LAX) recently.
                                I don't make it a point to travel on or around my birthday to score the upgrade, and the last time I travelled on SQ one day before my birthday I was already in F. So I was curious of how it works.
                                Having checked in at CGK airport (my route was CGK-SIN-LAX), I finally got my SIN-LAX upgrade to F only at boarding time in SIN.
                                Even though I am thankful SQ is doing this, wouldn't it be nice to just award the upgrade at check in at CGK? After all, the F seat SIN-LAX was available at check in (yes, I was monitoring the flight loads with ExpertFlyer).
                                Giving away the upgrade at last minute during boarding seems a bit petty in my opinion. After all, how many TPPs travels on their birthday really?

Frankly I don't know if my experience was the standard, or an anomaly.
                                Can anyone else share their experience? Is the birthday upgrade given at check in at origin airport? Or at gate?

Now I have a couple of standby upgrades (part of PPS rewards) to be used on my future flights.

T & C is as follows (bold emphasis mine):

I am curious to see how this works as well.

Would appreciate any sharing of your experience as well.
                                I’ve had three of these from memory, all given at check-in, and once accompanied by a birthday card signed by all the SQ check-in staff at SFO. Plus cards, cake on board, which I appreciate but find a bit embarrassing.

Comment

Working...
                                X