No announcement yet.

SQ to get its first (ex-SilkAir) B737 in Q1 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes SQ did fly to SZX quite a number of years ago as I have flown back then on their A330 and their load was light. Thereafter it was given back to Silkair.

Comment

• Two more ex-SilkAir routes confirmed moving to B738 operation, for 8 total by Nov:

HKT (from 4 Mar)
      CKG (from 8 Mar)
      BWN (from 15 Mar)
      PNH (from 17 Mar)
      MLE (from 30 Mar)
      CMB (from 1 May)
      RGN (from 1 May)
      MDL (from 2 Nov)
      Last edited by MainlyMiles; 24 February 2021, 09:55 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• 9V-MGC and 9V-MGE has been repainted in SQ livery, bringing the total SQ B737-800 aircraft to 9. This concludes the SQ B737-800 fleet transfer from MI.

B737-800 in SQ livery
        9V-MGA
        9V-MGB
        9V-MGC
        9V-MGD
        9V-MGE
        9V-MGK
        9V-MGL
        9V-MGM
        9V-MGN
        Last edited by HS-TND; 27 February 2021, 06:14 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

• Am sure the 6 737-8 Maxes and new deliveries of the Maxes will be transferred to SIA too, and the remainder of the 738s will be repainted to SIA colors in time to come.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
            Am sure the 6 737-8 Maxes and new deliveries of the Maxes will be transferred to SIA too, and the remainder of the 738s will be repainted to SIA colors in time to come.
            All the B737 MAX 8 aircrafts will be transferred from MI to SQ.
            As per https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...ia-narrowbody/, SQ will only repaint 9 B737-800 transferred from MI into SQ livery.

Comment

• Looks like SIA will extend and repaint the other 6 ramaining738s into SIA colors as these planes are younger in age to the 9 planes that SIA have transferred to its registry. Otherwise it would look somewhat odd that when Silkair does not exist anymore by end 2021/22 but the remaining planes are still in Silkair colors. Perhaps some of these planes will be returned to lessors but it seems unlikely as SIA had delayed deliveries of new planes from Boeing.
              Last edited by flyguy; 27 February 2021, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Looks like SIA will extend and repaint the other 738s into SIA colors as these planes are younger in age to the 9 planes that SIA have transferred to its registry. Otherwise it would look somewhat odd that when Silkair does not exist anymore by end 2021/22 but the remaining planes are still in Silkair colors. Perhaps some of these planes will be returned to lessors but it seems unlikely as SIA had delayed deliveries of new planes from Boeing.
                All remaining 737-800s are planned for disposal. Only 9 are moving across to SIA, all of which will (eventually) be replaced by 737-8 MAX anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
                  All remaining 737-800s are planned for disposal. Only 9 are moving across to SIA, all of which will (eventually) be replaced by 737-8 MAX anyway.
                  Yes I have mentioned that these planes will likely be returned to lessors, but doubt they will be out by 2022, and hence it would look odd that these planes remain in Silkair colors if they are nor repainted to SQ colors, when technically Silkair will be no longer be an airline.

Comment

• It wasn't that long ago when Scoot was flying planes in Tiger Airways colours.

But in the meantime, storing them is a possibility too.
                    an infrastructure geek

Comment

Yes I have mentioned that these planes will likely be returned to lessors, but doubt they will be out by 2022, and hence it would look odd that these planes remain in Silkair colors if they are nor repainted to SQ colors, when technically Silkair will be no longer be an airline.
                      So... are you suggesting that SQ paint the remaining 6 737-800, which were planed to be disposed of (and won't be put into use by SQ), into SQ colours, and THEN dispose it straight away later on? I don't think SQ would do that, even with deep pockets, let alone in the current situation. I am inclined to think that if SQ were to do something to the planes' livery then perhaps that would simply remove the "Silkair" word from the fuselage, just like how they always remove the "Singapore Airlines" words and the Silver Kris logo on the tail of SQ's planes when disposing of them without the planes going to their next owner. In the case of Silkair I guess it is harder to change the tail colours since it is so integrated... Alternatively the planes could be stripped off all colours and remain all-white...

As @yukka_miya mentioned there is a possibility that SQ stores the aircraft, which I think is the likely case if they don't get disposed this year...

Comment

• I did not suggest that SQ repaint the remaining 6 738s to" be stored and wont be put into use". I meant that if SQ continues to use these planes Before they are returned to lessors that then they should be repainted in SQ colors or what yukka mentioned to at least remove the Silkair name from the fuselage and replace it with SIA name. Unless SQ can afford to remove these 6 planes from service then its a different thing.

Comment

• 7 of SIA Group's owned 737-800s are up for sale.

Suggests the 9 they are keeping (for now) are the leased ones.

Comment

I did not suggest that SQ repaint the remaining 6 738s to" be stored and wont be put into use". I meant that if SQ continues to use these planes Before they are returned to lessors that then they should be repainted in SQ colors or what yukka mentioned to at least remove the Silkair name from the fuselage and replace it with SIA name. Unless SQ can afford to remove these 6 planes from service then its a different thing.
                            As per what @MainlyMiles have posted, SQ/MI have put up the 7 of their owned 737-800's up for sale, which implies and suggest that they are keeping only 9 of the (leased) 737-800s, and these are supposedly the ones that have been transferred to SQ with some (if not all, yet) painted in SQ colours. This also seem to imply that SQ won't be keeping and thus painting any of those 7 that are marked for disposal, even if they don't leave with this FY...
                            Last edited by wlgspotter; 2 March 2021, 07:08 AM.

Comment

• 9V-MGA is scheduled to operate SQ736|04MAR (SIN-HKT).
                              Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

• Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
                                7 of SIA Group's owned 737-800s are up for sale.

Suggests the 9 they are keeping (for now) are the leased ones.
                                There is a discrepancy in numbers as SQ keeping only 9 means that there are 8 planes to get rid off, but they are only selling away 7 aircraft. Wonder if there was any last minute decision to take in a 10th 737 (9V-MGO)

Comment

Working...
                                X