Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegas and Nevada / Grand Canyon Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vegas and Nevada / Grand Canyon Suggestions?

I am planning a short trip to Las Vegas and maybe the Grand Canyon later this year.

Any suggested restaurants and activities in Las Vegas or the vicinity?

Anyone have suggestions on planning a visit to the Grand Canyon? Is it something to do on a day trip from Vegas, or is it worth spending 2 or even 3 days at, or close to, the Grand Canyon?

Thanks in advance!

The part of the Grand Canyon that is closest to Vegas is not the most spectacular part. The actual Grand Canyon national park is on the South Side of the canyon and is a long drive (probably 5 or 6 hours from Vegas).

I would say you would want to spend at least a day at the canyon it really is one of the amazing natural wonders.

Comment

If you want to do a day trip to Grand Canyon, heading to Grand Canyon West to visit the Skywalk is an option. Along the way you can stop at Hoover Dam.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
        The part of the Grand Canyon that is closest to Vegas is not the most spectacular part. The actual Grand Canyon national park is on the South Side of the canyon and is a long drive (probably 5 or 6 hours from Vegas).

I would say you would want to spend at least a day at the canyon it really is one of the amazing natural wonders.
        Thanks for the input, Lobster! Yes, the national park is quite vast. I should probably research the south side of the Canyon too.

Originally posted by reddevil0728 View Post
        If you want to do a day trip to Grand Canyon, heading to Grand Canyon West to visit the Skywalk is an option. Along the way you can stop at Hoover Dam.
        Thanks, reddevil0728! The Skywalk is definitely on the to-do list! Got to decide whether to rent a car, or take a tour. Much prefer self-drive, as these days I find tours (even day tours) too restrictive...

Comment

Mlee888 wrote a TR about his trip to the Grand Canyon. I think it's a very good reference but alas the pictures there are no more.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
            Any suggested restaurants and activities in Las Vegas or the vicinity?
            Restaurants should be plenty. Buffets, celebrity restaurants etc.

For activities, there would be shows, like circus (cirque de soleil), concerts (Celine Dion), magic shows (David Copperfield) etc. Depends on what you like.

Personally, I've been to Vegas quite a few times, but only went to a few buffets (Wynn, Caesar Palace Bacchanal), watched a few shows (Phantom of the Opera, Crazy Horse). So, it depends on what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
              Restaurants should be plenty. Buffets, celebrity restaurants etc.

For activities, there would be shows, like circus (cirque de soleil), concerts (Celine Dion), magic shows (David Copperfield) etc. Depends on what you like.

Personally, I've been to Vegas quite a few times, but only went to a few buffets (Wynn, Caesar Palace Bacchanal), watched a few shows (Phantom of the Opera, Crazy Horse). So, it depends on what you like.
              Thanks, fone! Yes the shows look interesting. Too many dining places to pick from though, completely lost there...was thinking of checking out Momofuku, just to see if it lives up to the hype...

Comment

Sedona, Arizona is a wonderful town located about 2 hours south of the Grand Canyon. Great hiking, restaurants and scenic views of the red rock.

I was in Sedona last December and did a day trip to the Grand Canyon, though it was a bit exhausting due to traffic going into the park. You’d be better off staying in the area if your intention is to really explore the Canyon. That being said, I would definitely recommend a couple of nights in Sedona if time permits

Comment

I've been to Grand Canyon back in December 2013 with my mom and it was a day tour, started around 5:30am but got back around 3:30pm. At that time we stayed in Las Vegas for 4 nights. It wasn't much of a trip since we got to just see the canyon and some views but like others said it's best you do take a full day trip if you want to enjoy as much of the Canyon as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                    Sedona, Arizona is a wonderful town located about 2 hours south of the Grand Canyon. Great hiking, restaurants and scenic views of the red rock.

I was in Sedona last December and did a day trip to the Grand Canyon, though it was a bit exhausting due to traffic going into the park. You’d be better off staying in the area if your intention is to really explore the Canyon. That being said, I would definitely recommend a couple of nights in Sedona if time permits
                    Thanks for the suggestion, ek&sq! Sedona sounds like the kind of place where there would be great running trails too. Will definitely look it up.

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                    I've been to Grand Canyon back in December 2013 with my mom and it was a day tour, started around 5:30am but got back around 3:30pm. At that time we stayed in Las Vegas for 4 nights. It wasn't much of a trip since we got to just see the canyon and some views but like others said it's best you do take a full day trip if you want to enjoy as much of the Canyon as possible.
                    Thanks for sharing your day trip experience, SQfanatic! A day trip sounds very hectic! Agree that a longer trip would be more satisfying -- at least a full day, if not several days. A few days at a place like Sedona, would probably be enough time to savour the views and the environment there...

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                      Thanks for sharing your day trip experience, SQfanatic! A day trip sounds very hectic! Agree that a longer trip would be more satisfying -- at least a full day, if not several days. A few days at a place like Sedona, would probably be enough time to savour the views and the environment there...
                      No problem! I agree a day trip sounds hectic, but that all depends on how much of the canyon and area you intend to explore. If it's not much, definitely go for the day trip, otherwise, you could spend about 2 days if you plan to explore a lot.

Only thing I never got to do was see the sunset from GC, heard it's really beautiful. I did however see the sunrise at the canyon which was beautiful.

Comment

You can also do Antelope Canyon from Vegas. I don't know how long a drive it would be (my guess is 4-5 hours), what I did earlier this year was to join a 2 day bus tour out of Vegas to parts of the GC, Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend (which is near Antelope Canyon). There's Upper Antelope and Lower Antelope, various websites say that which one is better to visit (better lighting for amazing photos) depends on the time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by inkoherent View Post
                          You can also do Antelope Canyon from Vegas. I don't know how long a drive it would be (my guess is 4-5 hours), what I did earlier this year was to join a 2 day bus tour out of Vegas to parts of the GC, Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend (which is near Antelope Canyon). There's Upper Antelope and Lower Antelope, various websites say that which one is better to visit (better lighting for amazing photos) depends on the time of year.

Thanks for the tip, inkoherent! I had not heard of this place before, but I Googled it...looks like an amazing place to visit!

Comment

Looks like this trip is going to happen. It's mainly Vegas, but Mrs yflyer and I are going via LAX and will spend some time in Los Angeles before and after Vegas.

As for the Grand Canyon, we will likely save the extended visit for another time, and just do a day trip from Vegas to the Grand Canyon Skywalk -- boring I know but we only have a day. Still debating if we should take a coach tour, or rent a car for the day and drive on our own.

In the mean time, if anyone has dining recommendations for Vegas (Or LA) do share them!

As an aside, for the airfare to LA, we snagged a fairly good fare on UA. SIN-LAX nonstop economy return for S$1327 (Price varies a lot depending on dates.). Of course this is in 9-abreast Y on a 787, which is not ideal, and views on UA on this board are quite polarised, but the price was right. I guess rubbing shoulders and duelling armrests with your seatmate isn't too bad if the seatmate is your spouse...

Comment

As you are a aviation enthusiast, and if you are driving up to Vegas from LA, perhaps you can visit the airplane boneyards like the Mojave airport where literally hundreds of retired jets are parked there. It should be a interesting and beholding sight to see so many aircrafts parked there. I did visit the smaller Kingman airport in Arizona which is about a 2.5 hours drive from Vegas back in 2014.

Comment

Working...
                              X