UA opens nonstop SFO-SIN route

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    Really ?. That's strange. I haven't flown UA long haul for years but don't they also have a 1-2-1 product ?. If so you'd think they would put that on such a long route.
    UA is sort of like BA in this regard. They do have 1-2-1, but it's sold as Global First, not BusinessFirst. It's also only on their older aircraft (744, 772), with a version on the 763 (with 1-1-1 seating). None of these have the range to make it to SIN.

If anything, this 2-2-2 J is an improvement on their old J product: 2-4-2 (or 2-3-2 on the 763) with both backwards and forwards facing seats.

The previous CEO (who has since been fired) has said they were planning to get rid of F in the long run, too.

Comment

I hope pax get a certificate as 17 hours nonstop on UA surely deserves one.
      Or a bottle of scotch!
      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Really ?. That's strange. I haven't flown UA long haul for years but don't they also have a 1-2-1 product ?. If so you'd think they would put that on such a long route.
        Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
        UA is sort of like BA in this regard. They do have 1-2-1, but it's sold as Global First, not BusinessFirst. It's also only on their older aircraft (744, 772), with a version on the 763 (with 1-1-1 seating). None of these have the range to make it to SIN.

If anything, this 2-2-2 J is an improvement on their old J product: 2-4-2 (or 2-3-2 on the 763) with both backwards and forwards facing seats.

The previous CEO (who has since been fired) has said they were planning to get rid of F in the long run, too.
        To add to what leops1984 said:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...ng_787-900.php

Absolutely ridiculous! Imagine having a horrible person sitting next to you for the ENTIRE journey!

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
        Or a bottle of scotch!
        When it comes to UA, heroin may be the only answer!
        HUGE AL

Comment

At least 787 is a newer UA aircraft right?
          Trying to find some positive side here...

Comment

Originally posted by vincent0720 View Post
            At least 787 is a newer UA aircraft right?
            Trying to find some positive side here...
            I believe the existing UA 787's are configured 9-abreast in Y, which is noticeably less roomy than a 9-abreast 777, since the 787 is narrower than a 777.

UA has an "Economy Plus" product which, on some of their other aircraft, provides a little more legroom. I don't think "Economy Plus" is considered a Premium Economy (PEY) product as it doesn't really offer much more than legroom.

However, on the ULR SFO-SIN route, I think UA has an opportunity to do a proper "Economy Plus" or even PEY. At the very least, if they configure a section of the 787 Y cabin 2-4-2 (JAL does their 787's in 8-abreast 2-4-2 and they are very comfortable), they could position it as 787 "Economy Plus".

I think a non-stop SIN-SFO-SIN in Premium Y or 2-4-2 787 , if avaiable, would become my first choice routing to and from the Bay Area.

For those who are interested, here are two 787 TR's that highlight the Dreamliner Y cabin:

TR - Qatar 787 in 9-abreast Y

TR - Japan Airlines 787 Flight JL001 SFO-HND in 8-abreast Y
            Last edited by yflyer; 2 February 2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
              I believe the existing UA 787's are configured 9-abreast in Y, which is noticeably less roomy than a 9-abreast 777, since the 787 is narrower than a 777.

UA has an "Economy Plus" product which, on some of their other aircraft, provides a little more legroom. I don't think "Economy Plus" is considered a Premium Economy (PEY) product as it doesn't really offer much more than legroom.

However, on the ULR SFO-SIN route, I think UA has an opportunity to do a proper "Economy Plus" or even PEY. At the very least, if they configure a section of the 787 Y cabin 2-4-2 (JAL does their 787's in 8-abreast 2-4-2 and they are very comfortable), they could position it as 787 "Economy Plus".

I think a non-stop SIN-SFO-SIN in Premium Y or 2-4-2 787 , if avaiable, would become my first choice routing to and from the Bay Area.

For those who are interested, here are two 787 TR's that highlight the Dreamliner Y cabin:

TR - Qatar 787 in 9-abreast Y

TR - Japan Airlines 787 Flight JL001 SFO-HND in 8-abreast Y
              Is 9-abreast Y.

Comment

Originally posted by leops1984 View Post

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                To add to what leops1984 said:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...ng_787-900.php

Absolutely ridiculous! Imagine having a horrible person sitting next to you for the ENTIRE journey!

When it comes to UA, heroin may be the only answer!

This looks like 6 across in J.
                I have never seen it let alone sat on it (UA's version)
                So no opinion about it.

But I have sat on AI's 2-2-2 and I think it's decent even for Long flights. No issue walking over the next person to the aisle from the window because it is a spacious simple layout with lots of pitch and no complicated 'smart' slotting of feet.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SpaethFlies/stat...85265408974848

Looks like SQ might be playing catch up with UA?

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger777 View Post
                    https://twitter.com/SpaethFlies/stat...85265408974848

Looks like SQ might be playing catch up with UA?
                    Miracles do happen!

Comment

Is it true that United is moving to Changi T2 once the non-stop to/from SFO commences?
                      Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Airlineroute reports UAL and SIA have filed a joint application with the DOT to codeshare on flights between the US and Singapore.

It looks like the intense competition is forcing these foes to be friends Although not a JV, it'll be interesting if this development leads to SQ reevaluating its choice for its third US destination.

Comment

Originally posted by ek&sq View Post
                          Airlineroute reports UAL and SIA have filed a joint application with the DOT to codeshare on flights between the US and Singapore.

It looks like the intense competition is forcing these foes to be friends Although not a JV, it'll be interesting if this development leads to SQ reevaluating its choice for its third US destination.
                          It'll be interesting to see if this means that UA and SQ will codeshare more broadly to feed flights at either end. VX's merger with AS must be forcing a reassessment of SQ's codeshares in the US.

UA, meanwhile, seems to be pursuing a kinder-and-gentler approach in general under its new CEO Oscar Munoz than under the old regime... while the route was announced when Munoz was already CEO, he was in the hospital from October 2015 to March 2016.

So... maybe a UA/SQ rapprochement is in the cards?

Comment

Well, cant beat United's return fare of $888 nett for the first 3 days of 3 June.

Comment

The airliners.net thread on this topic says that SQ and UA will initially start codesharing on connecting flights out of IAH to ATL, AUS, FLL, MCO, MIA, MSY and TPA. Can't find any independent verification, though.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                                Well, cant beat United's return fare of $888 nett for the first 3 days of 3 June.
                                Really? Interesting! If only it were *A upgradable, though..!

Comment

Working...
                                X