SIA Pilot Fail alcohol test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ217 View Post
    Its no alcohol 8 hours prior to the flight and blood alcohol content under 0.02.

Why any pilot would even touch alcohol 24 hours before a flight and risk their whole career is beyond me.
    Pilots and crew party....

Comment

Originally posted by SQ217 View Post
      Its no alcohol 8 hours prior to the flight and blood alcohol content under 0.02.

Why any pilot would even touch alcohol 24 hours before a flight and risk their whole career is beyond me.

0.02 means 20 milligrams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood? That is much lower than the Singapore standard of 80 micrograms and rightly so given the gravity of an accident happening when flying a commercial jet. I'm assuming 1/2 a glass of wine would put a pilot over ...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
        O

That pilot's disregards to legality didn't and shouldn't end up with a compromise of safety by SQ or Mel airport. The consequence is blunt to any customer pledge on earth; but something non-sinister. Prior to this incident, it was 10 years ago - won't be damaging.
        I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say. I think you mean that people will consider the fact it hasn't been detected for 10 years and conclude that it is therefore very unlikely to ever affect them. That is certainly how I think, but I don't really match the profile of most people caught up in social media drama.

Reputations aren't based on logic. In the minds of many people, the pilot and the airline are one and the same. It goes like this: "Singapore Airlines cancelled my flight because their pilot was drunk. Now I can't go to see the football match I have tickets for." The majority of people reading that tweet/post sympathise with the passenger and blame the airline too, because they are supposedly one of the best there is.

Telling the passenger that it's a random occurrence will make them and their sympathisers on social media even more angry, because basically it's indefensible. Ask United how it worked out for them when they tried that approach...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          I'm having trouble understanding what you're trying to say. I think you mean that people will consider the fact it hasn't been detected for 10 years and conclude that it is therefore very unlikely to ever affect them. That is certainly how I think, but I don't really match the profile of most people caught up in social media drama.

Reputations aren't based on logic. In the minds of many people, the pilot and the airline are one and the same. It goes like this: "Singapore Airlines cancelled my flight because their pilot was drunk. Now I can't go to see the football match I have tickets for." The majority of people reading that tweet/post sympathise with the passenger and blame the airline too, because they are supposedly one of the best there is.

Telling the passenger that it's a random occurrence will make them and their sympathisers on social media even more angry, because basically it's indefensible. Ask United how it worked out for them when they tried that approach...
          So what if someone missed a football match or even a wedding? It is what it is - apologize, compensate and move on. SQ might lose 300 or even 900 customers as a consequence. What is so damaging if it is once in a blue moon? Like i said, there are many companies that has employees who would blatantly disregard their professions and ethics. Who could prevent this absolutely?
          Last edited by SQ_326; 20 September 2018, 04:03 PM.

Comment

What is so damaging if it is once in a blue moon?
            Try asking that to MH, Pan-Am and Transasia after their "once in a blue moon incidents" occurred. For an airline that is a 3 star Michelin airline equivalent and charges its fare accordingly so, it is simply not acceptable to brush it off if something well within their control occurs. Especially so when the safety of their passengers is concerned.
            At a time when their competitors are breathing down their neck and passengers are spoilt for choice, incidents like these do nothing to help the company. Their only reprieve at the moment is service recovery and with the cost cutting measures being adopted, I wonder if they really made use of that opportunity.

Comment

I’m actually quite disturb by the initial response of saying the pilot was sick. It’s quite bad to lie and not be transparent or truthful and this really impacts integrity and trust.

Also SIA did note they do not conduct random checks either but have these rules. What’s the point of rules if there is no checks and balance sounds more like lip service

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
                I’m actually quite disturb by the initial response of saying the pilot was sick. It’s quite bad to lie and not be transparent or truthful and this really impacts integrity and trust.
                Anyone remember SQ6 initial statement "no fatalities"?

Or after MH17 "flights are not using Ukrainian airspace".

Maybe there's a bigger problem than we even think.

Comment

So what if someone missed a football match or even a wedding? It is what it is - apologize, compensate and move on. SQ might lose 300 or even 900 customers as a consequence. What is so damaging if it is once in a blue moon? Like i said, there are many companies that has employees who would blatantly disregard their professions and ethics. Who could prevent this absolutely?
                  You couldn't find someone less interested in football or weddings than me, but a little lateral thinking is required to run a successful organisation. It's not about me. Think how not only existing customers but potentially new customers think. Football matches and weddings stir up emotions in lots of people that make for big drama on social media.

But I guess you're right. SQ should just not worry at all and hope people just forget about it. No big issue one of their pilots was technically intoxicated and it stranded a couple hundred passengers in each direction.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                    But I guess you're right. SQ should just not worry at all and hope people just forget about it. No big issue one of their pilots was technically intoxicated and it stranded a couple hundred passengers in each direction.
                    So sad, yet so true … not only for one but all corporations in general that pretty much a society thing

Comment

and people now have short memory of incidents

Comment

Interestingly, Changi Airport/CAAS do not carry out any random alcohol breath test for pilots unlike other international airports in Europe, US or Australia. Just saw a documentary on high speed train in Taiwan and surprise to see that every train driver when they report to work, they are given a breath test plus a blood pressure test before they are allowed to drive the trains. This may be the same in China too.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          Interestingly, Changi Airport/CAAS do not carry out any random alcohol breath test for pilots unlike other international airports in Europe, US or Australia. Just saw a documentary on high speed train in Taiwan and surprise to see that every train driver when they report to work, they are given a breath test plus a blood pressure test before they are allowed to drive the trains. This may be the same in China too.
                          Which documentary is this?

Comment

Saw a documentary on local tv a few weeks back about public buses. It seems bus drivers are required to do a breathlyser test at the start of their shift.
                            Just got me thinking along the same lines. If a bus drivers are required to do that, why not flight crew ?

Comment

So many people are fixated on 21/22 and this bizzare event was probably blown away by its thrust. Wait for another decade to have this pop out like a champnge again. If it happens earlier than that, then sq deserves it.

Comment

its not just about SQ21/22 event but importantly its about flight safety and standards and Changi as a international airport that it doesnt have this random check unlike other international airports. And perhaps even SQ can have such breath analyser test at Changi for its pilots as a safety protocol as even train drivers in some countries do this.

Comment

Working...
                                X