View Single Post
Old 18th August 2010, 04:44 PM   #13
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaleesy View Post
If I arrive in BKK at 0110 in the morning and have a 1015am flight the next day, there's really not much to do except sleep!

Please suggest alternative activities for a single girl in BKK and I might reconsider! Are there places where I could take pictures of bright city lights like in Shinjuku and Times Square? I know there would always be eating places but I don't know where to go!
Arriving at that time rather than the earlier stated 22:30 arrival changes things somewhat and limits what you are able to do with your time. Although I would still go into town myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhm View Post
That's the clincher for me. I'd rather pay an extra 10 rather than take the risk. It's the same reason why I won't fly an airline with a dodgy safety record and I'm sure that risk is a lot lower than the risk of having an accident in a taxi.
Absolutely. For such a small amout the risk is just not worth it. Bangkok taxis are dangersous on the expressways to and from the airport. I don't need a debate to know this I've done the trips more times than I care to remember over the last 15 years, and it's a fact. I was very very lucky once in what was nearly my last trip in a taxi anywhere, and when I looked at the difference - about 10 GBP each way - and my annual travel spend I thought 'F*ck that, no more setbelt-less taxis and psycho drivers to and from the airport in Bangkok'. I value my life at more than 20 GBP return. It's worth at least double that.

I don't like spending more than is necessary on anything travel related, but this is a total no brainer, and to be honest I still wouldn't use those taxis if the difference was double or treble.