Royal Orchid Service on the new A350 and classic B777 to Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Orchid Service on the new A350 and classic B777 to Bangkok

Another short getaway to Bangkok over the long weekend holidays recently, flying on Thai Airways and experiencing its new A350 aircraft. And of course, lots of great food in the land of smiles!

Checked in at Terminal 1 about 1.5hrs prior to departure and boarding passes issued.

The aircraft had arrived from Bangkok and parked beside a fellow A350 from CX. Currently, 6 airlines (SQ, QR, TG, CX, AY, CI) operates the A350 to SIN, with LH joining soon with its re-launched flights to MUC.

Departure Gate D32.

Operating this flight was TG's newest A350 aircraft then ( a brand new A350 was delivered to TG a couple of days later). Snapped a few photos of the plane. It would also be my 3rd airline on the A350, having flew QR's and SQ's versions previously.

31 August 2017
    Thai Airways
    TG 410
    Singapore (SIN) - Bangkok (BKK)
    A350-900
    HS-THF
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 2H06M

Boarding commenced by priorities and row numbers, and was actively enforced. Welcomed at the door and directed to the correct aisle.

Passed through the economy cabin with wais by each cabin crew. The seats are stylishly designed and the bulkhead has thai art-work as well. Definitely not as dull as SQ's version of the A350. A pillow and a pair of headsets were available on each seat.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

A huge clear and responsive touch-screen IFE monitor at each seat. USB and headsets ports are located under the screen.

Legroom is quite decent and good for the long-haul too. Footrest available as well.

The August edition inflight magazine, duty free and safety card.

The cute little IFE controller, though it was not needed other than for the reading lights and attendant button as the monitor is touch-screen enabled.

Pillow and headsets. Blankets were also distributed by the crew to those who required one.

Menu of the flight... not. This could be the Business Class menu as it was totally different from what was served later.

All on board and ready to go. The flight ended up totally full I believe.

Safety video played.

I had the aisle seat on this sector, and so no views fom the window. However, camera view is available in the IFE selection. We had a short taxi to Rwy20C and soon departed for Bangkok.

2hrs to Bangkok.

IFE, though variety not as huge as some other airlines, contains the latest movie selection and is sufficient for the flight. Decided to watch the comedy 'Snatched' on this short flight.

My Travel Map

Comment

Shortly after the seatbelt signs went off, the crew hastenly came down the aisles to deliver the special meals from the rear galley. Apparently there were quite a number of pasengers who requested special meals (around 50, according to the crew) and this required the crew to hand-deliver the meals to the pax during the first 30min of flight.

After the special meals were distributed, the standard meal service was conducted. The crew on this flight were definitely not the most junior among the TG crew as probably the senior crew were first trained on this new aircraft type, but service was still professional, warm and friendly.

For dinner, we were offered a choice of Nasi Goreng with chicken curry or Sweet and sour Fish with rice. I chose the Fish option. Meal came with a salad starter, warm roll with butter, dessert cake and a bottle of water.

Starter salad with dressing and a banana cake for dessert. The cake was a bit disappointing as it was rather dry and dense.

The main was delicous though! The fish was fresh and the sauce was tangy thai-styled sauce. Portion was generous too. Thumbs up!

The other option of Nasi Goreng (fried rice) with chicken curry was tasty too.

Beverages were only served after the meal distribution, which took quite a while and most of the meal was completed before the beverage cart reached my row. Luckily there was bottled water on the tray. Guess it wa due to time constraints due to the large special meals orders as normally, TG would have both the meal and bar carts out on the aisle during meal distribution (as was the case on the return flight). Had a cup of coffee to end the meal while entertaining myself with the movie.

Visit to the nicely designed lavatory. Other than the necessities, the only other amenity available is the jasmine-scented cologne.

View of the forward economy cabin.

Cabin crew clearing away the meal trays.

My Travel Map

Comment

Great TR so far. The blue map displaying info reminds me of the SQ's version you'd see on the very top bulkhead screen and on your touch-remote map. Nonetheless, TG's A350 looks great, I hope one day SQ can deploy their A350's (or regional versions) to BKK one day.

Comment

and how was the immigration queue?
          This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

As we started the descend into BKK, a video of the arrival procedures was shown.

Flight map of our routing.

Landing in BKK Rwy19L. Took a video of the camera view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2LNqC9-Vss

Parked at the gate.

Disembarking

It was a pleasant and comfortable flight on TG on this short sector. Service was good and the full frills were provided. Ticket were also at rock-bottom prices (if bought early) which made it even more value-for-money, plus the chance to try out the TG's new A350 made it an even better experience.

Contrary to recent reports of 4hrs long immigration queues at BKK, the arrival immigration was totally empty at 10pm and we breezed through both immigration and customs in just a few minutes!

On this trip, I stayed at the Dusit Thani Hotel Bangkok. The very centrally located hotel, which is at Silom and the intersection of the MRT and BTS lines, would be closing down and demolished in April next year. This grand dame has hosted many dignitaries throughout the years and was considered one of the best hotels in Bangkok. However, it would be torn down and rebuilt into a commercial/residential/hotel complex. Hence, I took quite a number of photos of the hotel for memories. Was also pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a Junior Suite for the stay!

For supper, I took away some dishes from an eatery near the hotel and with some plating, it looked totally like a room service order, haha.

My Travel Map

Comment

Breakfast at a local eatery along Silom Road selling roast meats with rice and wanton noodles.

Followed by a sinful Nutella Toast at After You cafe before the crowd comes in.

Late lunch at the original Greyhound Cafe at Centralworld, with its famous A Ton of Crab Fried Rice and a noodle dish (forgot the name).

The popular Erawan Shrine, a must visit for all Bangkok trips for Buddhist devotees.

MahaNakhon, Bangkok newest tallest building, beside Chong Nongsi BTS station.

Dinner at one of my favourite dinner places, Talad Nam Seafood.

Rounding up with a Mango sticky rice from a roadside stall.

My Travel Map

Comment

Ordered various dishes ar Or-Tor-Kor Market, which is just opposite Chatuchak Market.

Enjoying a coconut icecream while at Chatuchak.

Went to a very popular local eatery, Jae Oh, for a late dinner. Queued for almost an hour just to try the very popular Tomyum Mama (tomyum instant noodles with tons of ingredients). Other popular dishes include the thai salmon sashimi and various pork dishes.

If you are a durian lover, you must try After You's Durian Room, with the only store in Siam Paragon. The Durian with sticky rice Shibuya toast is a hit with durian junkies!! Must go very early to avoid the crowd!

Last meal in Bangkok was a Japanese meal at Fuji Restaurant.

My Travel Map

Comment

Had a drink at the Dusit Thani Lobby Lounge before heading to the airport.

Took the subway and Airport Rail to the airport. Check-in was fast as there were no queues at the TG Internet Check-in counters.

Security and immigration was rather fast and the terminal was not too busy this evening.

Departure Gate C5.

03 September 2017
                  Thai Airways
                  TG 401
                  Bangkok (BKK) - Singapore (SIN)
                  B777-200ER
                  HS-TJS
                  Economy Class
                  Flight Time: 1H52M

Boarding has already commenced when we reached the gate.

This aircraft has the older, colourful and very comfortable seats. Again, pillows were on each seat and blankets were handed out later by the crew. The crew on this flight were generally more junior than on the A350.

Very good legroom on this aircraft and I have long legs!

View out the window.

Pilow, blanket and headsets.

My Travel Map

Comment

Brand new Sept issue of the inflight magazine.

Older IFE interface. However the monitor is still touch-screen enabled, though not as sensitive as the ones on the A350.

Though that the menu of the flight would be available, but it led to an error page.

Boarding completed and crew distributing blankets.

Pushbacked on schedule and taxied to the runway.

Flight map

Departure from Rwy19R into the night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYHdPUtLhM8

IFE was not updated to the September selection though. Decided to watch the animation movie sequel of Smurfs.

Not many special meal orders on this flight and after a quick distribution of SPML trays, the meal service commenced. Both the meal and bar carts were in the aisle this time round.

We were offered a choice of Chicken with noodles or Curry fishballs with rice. Tray came with a shrimp salad, warm roll and butter, a bottle of water and a thai-style dessert.

My Travel Map

Comment

Shrimp salad for starter and Black and white glutinous rice with longan dessert. Both were great!

Main course was not bad with generous portions.

The other choice of green curry fishballs with rice and vegetables was excellent, but could be a tad too spicy for some.

Ending the meal with the thai-style dessert.

Finishing with a cup of tea with lemon.

Visit to the lavatory. It was the standard-designed lavatory with the usual TG amenities.

Approaching and descending in Changi Rwy20R. Landed 5min ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnmufyICgRs

Parked at the gate.

Disembarkation and passing both economy and business cabins.

Again, a very comfortable flight on Thai Airways on this short-haul. Even though the B777 is noisier compared to the newest A350, the seats and cabin are still as comfortable. Inflight offerings and service remained top-notch and is excellent for the 2hrs sectors.

Thanks for reading this short review!

My Travel Map

Comment

Working...
                      X