Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok

I am not a frequent visitor to Bangkok, however an opportunity to visit came up earlier this week, and I spent two days in Bangkok, staying at the Grand Hyatt Erawan, checking in mid-week and departing for Singapore on Friday.

This was my first time staying there, although I had walked past it on previous trips on account of its very central location. This hotel was recently renovated, in 2012-2013, and right now, the renovation of the rooms and the public areas is complete (Although MAN Flyer has commented that some of the specialty suites are still being renovated.)

This TR covers my impressions of the newly renovated hotel. As mentioned, this was my first time there, so I would welcome comments from other SQTalkers who have stayed here previously on how the new Erawan compares with the the pre-renovation situation.
    Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:16 PM.

The hotel is in an excellent location, right by the overground mass transit system (BTS) and connected to the nearby shopping malls and mass transit by overhead walkways.

The lobby of the hotel is a large, stunning atrium.

The reception is to the right, and a restaurant (Where they serve an excellent buffet breakfast) is on the left of the atrium.

The F&B outlets and bar/lounge are on the very lively basement level, accessible by lift or staircase.

Comment

The swimming pool and spa are on the 5th floor.

The pool is not particularly large, but nicely shaded by large trees, and looks to be a very pleasant place to spend an afternoon or evening.

Comment

The gracious and very pretty staff member at the check-in counter welcomed me to the hotel, and checked me into a room on the 7th floor, which she described as a "very nice room".

This was a newly renovated room, done up in a style which I would describe as a combination of modern and traditional/ethnic.

There was a lot of glass, and many mirrored surfaces.

The neutral glass and mirrors accentuated the many ethnic touches in the hotel room, including attractive tiling, ceramics and lacquerware, which gave the room a very distinct character.

This was the day bed / sofa and work table.

The table is a little larger than normal (Octagonal, rather than rectangular), which means that there is ample space, although the middle section is a little inaccessible.

Large flat screen TV, which is pretty much what you would expect these days.

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:17 PM.

Comment

The bathroom has a "window" that opens it up to the bedroom. There is a door which will close this window, and once closed, it becomes just like a regular enclosed bathroom.

This was open when I checked into the room. If the door was closed, I may never have noticed that the window was present.

Comment

This was a fairly high-tech room, with good A/V, sufficient power points, and a room lighting/temperature controller a notch more sophisticated, and more user-friendly, than others I had previously encountered.

Last edited by yflyer; 2 August 2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

There was a high-end sound system/ipod dock (with the old connector) that sounded great when I connected my iPhone to it.

The minibar was well stocked.

I particularly liked the small touches...attractive leather boxes and laundry bags in the wardrobe, and lacquer containers for toiletries.

Comment

I was especially impressed by the bathrooms.

Beautiful tiling and fittings...

The rain shower was perfect...the importance of a good shower with temperature control and water pressure cannot be understated!

Comment

I ordered room service on evening I arrived...it came on a movable trolley/table...

Not the most adventurous order...tom yam goong and pad thai...but absolutely delicious...

Tom yam goong...

Pad Thai...

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

All the right condiments...

A wonderful meal, washed down with Chang beer...
                    Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I had breakfast in the lobby the next morning.

This was a buffet breakfast consisting of both Western and Asian / Thai dishes.

A very nice local fruit selection, including rambutans, lychees, duku, jackfruit (nangka)...

Cold starters...

Bakery items...

Asian mains, including superb fried rice and noodles...

On an interesting note, the placard by the noodles identified them as "Singapore Noodles", but like other places overseas purportedly offering "Singapore Noodles", this dish simply does not exist in Singapore! But the noodles were quite delicious.

Noodles in broth were also available, cooked to order at the noodle station...

Western selections...

Both crisp and soft bacon (First time I have seen this distinction being made...)

Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:19 PM.

Comment

An egg station, with Thai hot green chilli as one of the ingredients available as an option...

One of the most satisfying omelettes I have had in a while...

Onion, green chilli and cheese...with the cheese still gooey inside, and the Thai green chilli padi giving it a wonderful kick...

You also had pancakes, waffles and french toast made to order...

Overall, a wonderful breakfast spread!
                        Last edited by yflyer; 19 July 2020, 05:19 PM.

Comment

I have not been a Hyatt Diamond member for many years, so I did not get the opportunity to visit the Club Lounge. Neither did I visit the many dining/F&B establishments in the basement level. If anyone has impressions or pictures of the Club Lounge and other F&B outlets do share them!

Comment

Overall, this was a wonderful stay.

I found the rooms and facilities to be excellent, and service to be very gracious and efficient as well.

Perhaps this is traditional Thai hospitality, but the staff seemed genuinely warm and friendly, unlike the scripted/forced "friendliness" you sometimes get in other places.

I would definitely stay here again if the opportunity arose. Thumbs up!

Thanks for reading!

Comment

Thank you for the report and pictures, yflyer.

I stay here four or five times a year and do like it. It's such a shame it's in Bangkok, with so many other great choices.

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                              I have not been a Hyatt Diamond member for many years, so I did not get the opportunity to visit the Club Lounge. Neither did I visit the many dining/F&B establishments in the basement level. If anyone has impressions or pictures of the Club Lounge and other F&B outlets do share them!
                              The new lounge is very nice, and a definite improvement on the previous one. It's much larger with them having removed two rooms to extend it. Having said that, I really enjoyed the temporary lounge they set up in Tables Restaurant on the first floor while they were building the new lounge. I did have a few pictures of the new lounge on my Iphone, which will have been crap, but I deleted them a couple of weeks ago to make some space!.

Of the F&B outlets downstairs, I can heartily recommend You & Mee. I eat there even when not staying at the Hyatt as I have yet to find anywhere that does a better Khao Soi, for my taste buds. I have never eaten in Spasso but have had a drink there on occasion with other SQTalkers, and it does get a bit lively.....

Comment

Working...
                              X